PDA

View Full Version : 10year old boys

Lily Grace
11-09-2009, 07:43 PM
How do you tell off 10 year old boys? He is an after schooler, term time only and the last few months his behaviour has got really steadily worse. Today I caught him play fighting in the playground but I could see it was getting a bit serious with the other boy then when it broke up he decided to climb over the school fence so i had to go hunting for him. Luckily I only had one mindee who is 8 and my own little boy who is 2 but some days I do have a group. I have had a word with his mum this week about him walking off on the school run but it is affecting my care of the other children.

uf353432
11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
With mine I don't tell them off - I would give consequences or encourage them by being a good example.

Mine particularly like playing with their DS on my Wifi connection because they don't have it at home, or playing on the Wii - so the consequence would be no internet access or no Wii if I needed to.

I don't need to do that at the moment because they know that because they are older I need them to set a good example to the younger children. They seem quite happy to bask in that responsibilty

mushpea
11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
How do you tell off 10 year old boys? He is an after schooler, term time only and the last few months his behaviour has got really steadily worse. Today I caught him play fighting in the playground but I could see it was getting a bit serious with the other boy then when it broke up he decided to climb over the school fence so i had to go hunting for him. Luckily I only had one mindee who is 8 and my own little boy who is 2 but some days I do have a group. I have had a word with his mum this week about him walking off on the school run but it is affecting my care of the other children.

i would have a good chat with mum about his behaviour and how she deals with it and see if you can draw up a plan of what to do, i would also talk to him about his behavioiur and how it is effecting the other children in your care, he is old enough to understand the consiquences of his actions and you could talk to him about what he thinks would be an appropriate punishment, it may be stoppin a computer game ds etc or not allowing him to play with his favrorite toy, but you could also talk to him in a positive grown up way about his behaviour, i had somthing similar and ended up explain to my daughter whos 10 and asking her if she could be more grown up and 'help ' me by being sensible on school runs and showing the other children what to do , how to walk sensibly and how to cross roads etc, making her feel more grown up helped her behaviour emensly

helenlc
11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
A 10 yr old is old enough to understand the consequences of his actions. So if you say to him You shouldnt be play fighting/running off etc because its dangerous/I have others to watch etc he should understand this.

If you think it is affecting your care of the others, then you may need to warn Mum that you may have to terminate contracts.

Lily Grace
11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
when I told mum that he had walked off this week and all the younger kids follow him she said to me "how many children do you have now" as if to say maybe you have to many children and you cant cope. I am seriously getting to the stage where I am going to have to tell his mum everytime he plays up, I dont like doing it but I have tried telling him off he is not listening to me.

mushpea
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
why dont you make a note of the things he does when he does them then show it to mum explaining that you've had to note them down so she could see what his behaviour is like at yours and explain that if there is no improvment then you would have to consider terminating the contract.

Zoomie
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I would draw up a behaviour statement with this child and set your boundries together.

My 10y doesn't want to walk with me and all the LOs, so as long as he is within calling distance I am fine with that.

My 8y still runs amock somethings but he hates holding onto the buggy - which is what he has to do if he runs off / doesn't listen.

sweets
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
threaten to put him on a wrist strap! lol:laughing: can't see a 10 year old boy liking that!

The Juggler
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I still threaten my 9 (going on 10) year olds with holding the buggy if they are being silly by the road/pavement. It usually works but one is my ds and the other I've had since age 5 so they know me well.

I'm having trouble at home. I do take away pc/wii privileges but then they sulk soooo much it's awful. luckily I have good relationship with his Dad so he gets a telling off from him too.

I also make them sit at kitchen table with book/drawing etc if they are misbehaving back at home. I tell them if they can't be trusted they need to sit where I can see them.

It''s hard at this age though.

Good luck.

LOL