PDA

View Full Version : First inspection

ExBlondie
11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Hiya all :)

Ive been registered since March but only been working since 27th of Aug for one little boy for one afternoon a week. Ofsted contacted me a few weeks before i had the little boy signed up to ask if i had any one on the books and i told them no so they said to let them know when i do have children to arrange my inspection. I rang them last week to tell them of the change so im now wating to here from them with a possible fate etc

Im totally panicing because ive only been doing this for 3 weeks and i don't feel like ive had time to get into what i need to do never mind think about an inspection!

What kind of things should i make sure i have ready? I have policys done and risk assesments and going to start writing up some of my observations but what else will they be wanting to see?

I feel totally out of my debth and im worried im my childminding career could be over before ive even started.

Any advice would be great xxx

sophiestars
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't worry too much, if you have your policies in place and risk assessments done you're there! They can't expect to see too much as far as observations etc as you have only just started but if you can tell them how you are going to show how you observe and record the little one's progress and how you will move him towards the next steps in his development they will be happy with that.

I would have a look through the welfare requirements in the EYFS book to check you have everything in place that is required because that is what they are looking for. Make sure you have a complaints procedure, accident and incident books etc and keep the child's details confidential. And just have a think about questions they may ask. There is a booklet called 'are you ready for your inspection?' which can help. Have a look on the ofsted website if you don't have one. Also have a look through the 'Every child matters' info as that is what the headings of the inspection report come under.

If possible do your SEF if you haven't already. Even if you only manage some of it, it will really help your inspector to see what you setting is all about and how you intend to work. Much easier for you to write about it in your own time than having all the questions fired at you when you might be nervous and forget to say things! It definitely helped me with my inspection, she hardly asked me anything as it was all in the SEF (which I had finished at 12pm the night before because they sprung an inspection on me with 2 days notice!!)

Most of all just relax!! Easy to say I know, but at the end of the day it is just another human beiong doing their job. they are not going to try and catch you out they just want to make sure you are ok with what you are doing and don't be afraid to ask them questions too if you have anything you are unsure about. You are just beginning and they will take that into account.

On your inspection day have toys and activities out that you know the little boy likes - don't attempt anything completely new incase it goes wrong!!

And last of all good luck - you came to the right place, this forum and all the lovely ladies (and men!) on here are so helpful and full of handy tips so ask away!! Have a look through the ofsted inspection tips threads if you haven't already, i got lots of good ideas from there before i was inspected and it really helped.

miffy
18-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Great advice already given

I'm sure you'll be fine - good luck

Miffy xx

CherryBlossom
23-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Can't really give any advice as I haven't started yet-but just wanted to say good luck x

Demonjill
23-09-2009, 12:48 PM
You will be fine. You are doing a good job:)

Fingers x it all goes well.:thumbsup:

mum2two
23-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sure you will be fine. Just don't expect anything too soon. My friend reg last year, (about July/Aug time). Ofsted called her & she wasn't working. She then called them back in April to say she had minded kids now, and she still hasn't had her first inspection!

Just keep doing what you are doing, build on it, and self evaluate until you get the call...

xx