PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

LisaMcNally09
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I am minding a 2 year old at the moment (3 in January) and he has no manners at all!!!

He was throwing pencils like darts the other day and one hit my dd. When i asked him to say sorry he just refused.
Today he hit my dd!!!
I tried everything.....i sat and explained why it was wrong....why hitting upset people....he wouldnt say sorry....i took the toys he was playing with away and sat him on floor...he wouldnt say sorry.
I dont want him to think he can get away with things but i just dont know what to do??????????????????????????????:(

FussyElmo
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Make a real fuss of the victim!!! We have a thinking cushion in our house which the children sit on when they need a time out - they are not removed form the room. After an apprioate (sp) amount of time I then sit on a cushion on the floor and sit and talk to them. I also say a sorry would be nice but if its not forthcoming I dont make it an issue. Praise his good behaviour at all times:)

allinatiz
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
What Fussy Elmo said! We have a thinking step in our house, they get a warning and if they repeat the behaviour they have some thinking time on there. I also tell them we don't throw things in our house, it does get through eventually :)

sarah707
11-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I never ask children to say sorry because if they refuse I feel like I've backed myself into a corner.

Instead I talk to them (after making a huge fuss of the victim) about kind hands and feet and behaving nicely to others.

I would also do a lot of work on emotions around this agegroup as that can help.

Is he mature enough to go through some simple behaviour guidelines with you?

Otherwise it's just becoming a broken record and watching him like a hawk... plus lots of distraction with songs, books etc until he goes through the phase.

Hth :D