PDA

View Full Version : PARENTS HANDBOOK

It's a small world
10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi

I have my first oficial parent coming on Saturday to sgn a contract with me.

I will be giving them my parents handbook. Please could you just check to see if I have missed anything.

WHY CHOOSE A CHILDMINDER
EYFS LEAFLET ITS CHILD PLAY
ALL ABOUT ME
HOURS OF BUSINESS
FEES
LIST OF POLICIES
LIST OF PERMISSIONS REQUIRED
MEALS
SAMPLE MENUS
A TYPICAL DAY
LIST OF ACTIVITIES
POEM ABOUT ' WHEN YOUR CHILD COMES HOME MESSY'

When parents come to sign they will read all my policies and then I have a form which lists all the policies and 3 boxes agree/disagree/comments. They then tick and sign this form to say that they have read and underdstood all polisices. If they wish a coipy of all or some of the policies I am happy to oblige.

They will sign all permission forms.

We will complete the NCMA contract

I have a new reg form which covers all medical details/parents tel nos/address/work details /ermergency details etc Childs likes/ dislikes/ routines

I will explain about RA's another tou of my house.

Show my portfolio (dad hasn't been here yet but mum wants to sign regardless)

Have I missed anything or can anyone give advice. Last and only contract signed was with a friend and she kinda did some with me and some she just took away and read IE:Policies/permission forms.

A little nervous as want to look like I know what I am doing....:blush: Advice on how to handle this v. much appreciated.

sarah707
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Think you've got most of it there tbh.

You could mention the water all day thing - some parents get very upset about it as it encourages night time toilet wanderings and very fat nappies overnight, so it's best to be open and explain it's a legal requirement and you have no choice...

Do you have anything special you can talk about..? A big garden with lots of cover for daily access / park nearby you'll be visiting regularly... something to make you stand out from the rest?

Good luck! :D

It's a small world
10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks Sarah

My Meals page explains that water/milk and sugar free drinks are available at all times throughout the day. This is also mentioned at the bottom of my sample menus too...but I will reiterate this again when discussing meals

I can also discuss our local park/ local lakes where we can feed the ducks/geese/morehens (sp) 'fishes'- very greedy fishes :laughing: and watch the heron fly over the lake.

Also go to alot of playgroups and visit a local forest -lovely walk / lots to discover and if lucky see a deer or too and some big red kites (birds) the list is endless.......

Thanks again for the advice...hopefully I will look professional now...

Kerrie

sophiestars
10-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Your list sounds great, everything you need.....the only thing that stood out for me was that you ask them to agree or disagree to your policies. What if they put that they disagree to something you do? How will you get around it?

For my parents i give them a folder to take home and read with all my policies and they get copies of the most important ones. They then have to sign a slip saying they have read them and received the copies. They don't get a chance to disagree ha ha . Of course I ask them if they found everything ok and I haven't had any probs yet.

angeldelight
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Sounds like you have everything in order Kerrie well done

Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow

Angel xxx

oldtimer
11-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Re:Policies,

I print off two sets of my policies for each new child.

At the bottom of each page there is a box for my signature and parents signature.

Parent gets to keep one set of signed policies, and the other signed set is kept with the child's paperwork (contract, permissions etc etc).

These are MY policies, and the parent is not given the option of accepting or declining parts of my policies.

Have ten policies in all, which according to my OFSTED inspector is sufficient.

It's a small world
11-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks you for your advice . One question though what if a parent isn't happy with one of your policies?????? This can happen to anyone regardless of how they display their policies

That is why I have an comments box so if we need to add or remove something I'm covered. I'd rather this than risk losing a mindee over something that can be solved easliy.

Also Sophiestars I too have a file with all my policies in detail. Parents read this when they come to sign contracts and should they require a copy of any or all of them then I am happy to oblige. I know that some people don't like to have tons of paperwork given to them and half the time they probably get filed somewhere in a cupboard somewhere and forgotton. This is why Id rather just give them what they want whether this is one or all of my policies . At least then I know they will file it somewhere where they can refer to them at any time. They also have access to my portfolio where my policies are kept if they wish to read them.

Hope that makes a little more sense. I have asked on here if it is ok to get parents to read policies then tick list . Oh this page also has a section that says parents have read and understood all my policies..I also sign and date this too.

My DO also saw this and said it was fine . It saves alot of paper wastage .

Thanks again for all your advice I have taken your comments on board.

oldtimer
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks you for your advice . One question though what if a parent isn't happy with one of your policies?????? This can happen to anyone regardless of how they display their policies

That is why I have an comments box so if we need to add or remove something I'm covered. I'd rather this than risk losing a mindee over something that can be solved easliy.

Also Sophiestars I too have a file with all my policies in detail. Parents read this when they come to sign contracts and should they require a copy of any or all of them then I am happy to oblige. I know that some people don't like to have tons of paperwork given to them and half the time they probably get filed somewhere in a cupboard somewhere and forgotton. This is why Id rather just give them what they want whether this is one or all of my policies . At least then I know they will file it somewhere where they can refer to them at any time. They also have access to my portfolio where my policies are kept if they wish to read them.

Hope that makes a little more sense. I have asked on here if it is ok to get parents to read policies then tick list . Oh this page also has a section that says parents have read and understood all my policies..I also sign and date this too.

My DO also saw this and said it was fine . It saves alot of paper wastage .

Thanks again for all your advice I have taken your comments on board.

If the parent does not agree to the policies that YOU have formulated to run YOUR business. If the parent has issues/concerns about any of your policies then you should discuss this with the parent and work something out, BUT by asking them if they disagree with anything, human nature being what it is, you are almost bound to get a comment. In short DON'T ASK what they do not agree with.

On the issue of keeping your policies in your portfolio to save on printing, then I must take issue with all CM's that do this. You are running a business, not a branch of the Green Party, and your policies form part of your contract with your parent. When theyt sign on with you, they are agreeing to your terms and conditions, of which your policies form the major part. So, IMHO, it is essential that each parent has their own copy of your policies, with both YOUR signatures on, and you have a copy of your policies with both YOUR signatures on. This way, if there is any dispute about anything that is covered in your policies, you can say.."well you signed here to agree to my policies"

if you have not got their signature on each policy, what is to stop you from amending your policy (for instance on lateness) slipping it into your portfolio and saying well these are my policies. The parent will say "I didn't agree to this policy" and you will not have a leg to stand on.....

Please do not listen to your DO on how to run your business.
Cover your backside, in anything concerning contracts

Bitsy Beans
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I give prospective parents a booklet about me and my family and a very brief overview of my policies ie no smoking, no smacking etc.
If they choose to use my services then they have their own copy of ALL the policies which I reiterate are part of the Childminding contract. The only thing they can disagree with is on the parental permission form like photos being taken that sort of thing.

It doesn't do to give people too many options ;)

jeanybeany
12-09-2009, 08:05 PM
My parents are given a copy of all my policies either in a paper format or my preferred way on a CD ROM (which my hubby put together for me and made it so everything cannot be altered). They sign a tick list to say they have received all policies and they sign to say they have read and understand/agree to them. Any new policies given for example my new fees one and swine flu they have signed to say they have had a paper copy. Then when I get round to adding them onto my welcome disc they will be given a new copy. Hope that makes sense.

The Juggler
13-09-2009, 10:44 AM
My parents are given a copy of all my policies either in a paper format or my preferred way on a CD ROM (which my hubby put together for me and made it so everything cannot be altered). They sign a tick list to say they have received all policies and they sign to say they have read and understand/agree to them. Any new policies given for example my new fees one and swine flu they have signed to say they have had a paper copy. Then when I get round to adding them onto my welcome disc they will be given a new copy. Hope that makes sense.

mine too. Paper or e-mail as I don't really think they alwasy take them in when they visit.

oldtimer
13-09-2009, 10:13 PM

jeanybeany,

you may well give parent(s) a CD ROM that cannot be altered, but if you have a dispute with parent(s) you cannot prove what is on the CD ROM without the parents co-operating with you !!

that is why IMHO you need a copy of the policies in your possession with the parent(s) signature on it.

99% of the time you will not need this back up, but when you do need back up, these signed copies of policies will be invaluable