PDA

View Full Version : how far are they going to go???

tammerisk
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
i went to my local sure star center today to set up and run our local chilminding support group.

we have not been running for 7 weeks as it was holidays and kids under 5 not aloud in the center

there was a big change around in the summer due to funding being cut and they bumped our group from wed morn to thurs morn so now mos tof the minders that came won't come as they do other things on a thurs morn

and i was half way through drinking my coffe in the kitchen with the children having snack and the creche worker came in and said we not aloud hot drinks at all now there was a sign but some one has taken it down i won't tell this time but remember for next time

then the center manager person came in a while later nad said

we now can't use our mobile phone while in the children play areas we will have to leave the center if we want to use them

when i asked why the reply was

its a child protection issue

i not to happy as i use my phone as my camera and take photos for my children for there development folders and for parent to see whta there child is up to at the groups i attend.

will it be nex tha ti won't be even aloud to use my digi camara as this might present a child protection issue

how much thourther will they go to alianate us childminder as this is not the first thing they have done.

the nursery workers are always finding some thignto complain about us

and we try our hardest to follow all there rule and stuff

ajs
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
it's best i don't make any comment about sure start centres and their treatment of childminders

Mouse
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
At our Children's Centre they said we were not allowed hot drinks in the same room as the children, but they relented slightly & let us use those thermal beaker things. The rule applies to all groups using the centre, not just childminders. I do actually agree with it as there are a lot of low level shelves that people were leaving cups on.
Another CC close by is very strict about it & says you need to go and stand in the kitchen if you want a hot drink. That would be no good for me as I can't get through the morning without a coffee :rolleyes:

As for the phone, I guess they're trying to avoid the risk of people taking indecent photos of children, as was done at a nursery recently. They should really trust childminders, but I assume they're covering their backs and that the ban covers all adults, not just childminders.

singlewiththree
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't be leaving my phone at reception! I keep mine on me in case of an emergency, what if my own children were rushed to hospital and school couldnt get hold of me!

tammerisk
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't be leaving my phone at reception! I keep mine on me in case of an emergency, what if my own children were rushed to hospital and school couldnt get hold of me!

i said this about being an emergency call and they said would have to leave the center to take it and then i said what about my children i have with me as to get them all and then out of the center my phone would have stopped ringing!!
they said you rwill have to leave them with one of the other childminders or ask one of the creche staff to watch them

tinkerbelle
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
i refuse to use sure start centres as when they took over our local toddler group that i had helped run for over 2 years i was not allowed to attend anymore as my children were all full time or morning nursery and the mindees did not belong to me needless to say i stormed out and have had nothing to do with them ever since and sure start dropped our toddler gruop like a ton of bricks 3 months later

tammerisk
10-09-2009, 05:21 PM
our center is a pase one i think it calle and has to make links with childminder and i am the only one in there catchment area that will have anything to do with them and there are only 4 or us in there area anyway

sarah707
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
It is against the regulations of the Eyfs to be out of sight or hearing of your minded children.

If you keep your phone on you in case of emergencies then you must be allowed to answer it while watching the children.

This is a child protection and legal issue and you should all group together to fight it.

We're not allowed hot drinks either... I can sort of understand that one.

Hth :D

The Juggler
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
i said this about being an emergency call and they said would have to leave the center to take it and then i said what about my children i have with me as to get them all and then out of the center my phone would have stopped ringing!!
they said you rwill have to leave them with one of the other childminders or ask one of the creche staff to watch them

:eek: :eek: :eek: that's even worse than using the phone. We're not allowed to do that! Parents and schools need to be able to get hold of us at all times. It's ridiculous to assume you can't be contacted for 2 hours. What's the option, tell the schools where you'll be each time you visit the cc.

They are supposed to be trying to encourage minders to embrace the EYFS yet can't take photos of their children playing!? Hot drinks I agree with but the phones:panic:

FussyElmo
10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I can see the point of the hot drinks I can even see the point of using the mobile to take photos (they are covering their own backs). But to say you can use your mobile is ludricous (sp).

Threaten to report them over it!!!!

Zoemum2four
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Have to say tammerisk im still baffald by it.....but I will be keeping my phone on me and using it if needed........Can understand the hot drink thing.....but phones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twinkles
10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I would like to say I've been going to toddler groups for 26 years and have yet to see an accident involving a hot drink.

I'm sure others will be along with their horror stories but I just wanted to say I've never seen one.

sweets
10-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I would like to say I've been going to toddler groups for 26 years and have yet to see an accident involving a hot drink.

I'm sure others will be along with their horror stories but I just wanted to say I've never seen one.

ive not seen or heard of any incidents either and have been going to toddler groups for 20 years! we have hot drinks at home don't we? well i do anyway.

As for the phones then i would just have mine in my pocket on vibrate and would just answer it in a corner if neccessary, or if other Cm are present just pop out the room for a min and keep it short, i go to the loo on my own at toddlers if other cm are there, its no different!

rickysmiths
10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
i refuse to use sure start centres as when they took over our local toddler group that i had helped run for over 2 years i was not allowed to attend anymore as my children were all full time or morning nursery and the mindees did not belong to me needless to say i stormed out and have had nothing to do with them ever since and sure start dropped our toddler gruop like a ton of bricks 3 months later

Ditto :eek: ery anti cms

tammerisk
11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
i went ot there satilight center today to a normal drop in and aske dagain abou tthe phone and they said no not aloud to use it they put it in place due to the l;ady in plymouth that took the photo of the children i nthe nursery and had them on internet.
i then asked about a normal camera and she said that they were thinking of getting one camera for the two centers and that will be the only one aloud and all the parents have been informed they not aloud to take photos

i not happy bunny today wait for my development worker to ring me back and see if she has hear dthis and if it applies to other centers in northampton

wonder what she will say!!!

kindredspirits
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
what i cannot make out is how on earth they think people can take indecent photos of children in a public place??? its not a safeguarding issue it is very OTT!! and what if you have a phone that doesn't have a camera on - is that ok? :rolleyes:

oldtimer
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
it is very interesting that a government sponsored initiative like Sure Start bans the use of photographic devices, basing this decision on being a safeguarding issue, whilst the spread of CCTV cameras continues unabated.

From what I can ascertain from reading the newspapers, there does not appear to be a large number of convicted paedophiles coming from the childminding profession.........has anybody got any scientiically produced figures for the number of convicted paedophiles emanating from the police force or security firms who man these CCTV cameras....

one law for us and yet another for OUR servants, the people whose salary we pay

youarewhatyoueat
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Which county are you in, I would write to your local mp as that is utter rubbish, unless they want to risk nobody using the centre then they need to back off. Ours is fab, we have a kitchen with a low counter and gate so we can drink coffee away from the children, no problem with mobiles and I haven't tried taking photos as that is always an issue with other peoples children needing to sign a permission but surely ok if only your kids in the photo. I do feel though that the centres are really set up for people in need of support with parenting issues etc. which is a good thing but shame if they don't support everyone else.

Spangles
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I totally see the point of the hot drinks, it makes me cringe when people wander around with scalding, hot drinks when little children are running around and knocking into them.

I had hot tea at home when minding but always used a lidded cup and kept the drink way up high out of harms way and I didn't wander around with it in a world of my own! Ha!

I can also kind of see the point about the camera but not mobile phone. We need to have our mobile phones on us at all times and we need to be able to answer them straight away.

Quite a few places I used to go to we weren't allowed to take photos of the children at all, fair enough, there are plenty of other places to go and be able to take them freely.

It's a shame they didn't have a meeting involving you and other childminders about their concerns before the new rules were just thrust upon you all with no notice.

Bitsy Beans
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
well I dragged my mindee and my own 2 kids to my local Sure Start Centre to attend the CM drop in session this morning. Half an hour walk pushing a double buggy and a child on a buggy board at the back.
Arrived, hot, sweating and knackered only to be told that I had to book a place to attend. got repeatedly asked if I was a CM (why? if I wasn't I wouldn't bother to attend a CM group :rolleyes: ) and one woman came out with the schedule for the next few months. I pointed out to her that no where on their information does it mention having to book for CM group. "Oh yes I need to try and add those details, thanks for pointing it out".........yeah no problem, my complete pleasure to trawl all the way up here for nothing because you lot are totally incompetant :angry:
Needless to say I didn't want to disappoint the kids and we went to the local park (a further 20 min walk from where we were) but they had a great time.

Shan't be bothering again.

Lady Haha
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I have to admit to being really surprised by all this! Not the hot drinks and mobile phones stuff, although the mobile phone stuff is plain stupid.

No, I meant the treatment of childminders you have experienced! I went along to our local surestart stay n play session when I was looking after my 12 month old mindee (who has left now). But they couldn't have been more pleased when they found out I was a cm!!!! Never have I felt more like a professional in all the time I've been minding! They started talking to me completely differently, like I was 'one of them'!

So, sorry to hear about your experiences, big shame!

Ripeberry
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I've just been to a Sure Start center near me. First time I've been in the building and it was for a course.
Anyway, picked up a few leaflets about 'drop in' sessions. I think I'll give one a go and see how I get on.
Glad at least one of you had a good experience at one. Maybe they do only want parents to attend ?:rolleyes:

tammerisk
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
the middle management staff are great really good but and the drop in staff are nice and so are the nursery staff to my face and always seem to want to do everything they can to help but and its a big but if they can find some thign to moan about they will.

but having worked in nursery and stuff i have found it is like that there and may be they just jealous that we get to do things our way and they don't!!!!

Daisy1956
12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Our local cm group left the childrens centre because of the difficulties and have set up their own group , Still keep getting advertising for the sure start group, but no one goes. it does't look good for us all being under one'unbrella' does it

julie w
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I go to an old fashiooned toddlers group . We have hot drinks, we have old fashioned toys with pointy wooden corners. There are no safety gates. And guess what? There have been no accidents or cause for concern.. Just fun, and gossiping mums and childminders.

Lady Haha
13-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I go to an old fashiooned toddlers group . We have hot drinks, we have old fashioned toys with pointy wooden corners. There are no safety gates. And guess what? There have been no accidents or cause for concern.. Just fun, and gossiping mums and childminders.

Yes, I must admit I preferred the childminding groups in our area! It's nice to just sit and watch your mindee play (interacting and helping now and again) while having a nice chat and a coffee. But the Surestart didn't allow that! You had to be on the floor with your mindee, interacting constantly etc, which is fair enough, but I was doing this at home first, so toddlers was a nice 'break'!

But because I only had this baby one day a week for a few hours, I chose the Surestart cos it was free!