PDA

View Full Version : ADHD?

charliegee
10-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Morning everyone

Hope you are all well - nearly the weekend now!

I had a question I wondered if anyone could help with

I have a mum and little boy (8) coming to see me tomorrow - lovely sounding mum wanting afterschool care for her son.

She has told me he has ADHD which is medicated and I wanted to know what peoples experiences were of working with children with ADHD as I've got no experience of it.

I've got two little ones under two and another afterschool (aged 5)

any advice would be greatly apprechiated as I don't know what to expect - I googled ADHD as I have no understanding of it - and found google results a bit confused - ranging for that children with ADHD can be very hyperactive - to that it goes un picked up for years.....I'm just very confused and wouldn't want to compromise the children already in my care (if that is the case)

(not meaning to be discriminatory - just wanting your advice so I understand it better and answer the mum's questions properly!)

thanks everyone!

x

PixiePetal
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
My nephew and niece have it one is ADHD and the other ADD without the hyperactive bit!

Each case has their own difficulties to get over/used to.

Hebs has close experience and others on here too. I am sure they will be along soon. Better prepared than not.

Hebs
10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
hiya,

my son (who is 9) has ADHD

you MUST MUST MUST be consistant in your behaviour expectations, the good old give an inch take a mile fits perfectly

instructions must be clear (and probably need to be repeated as they forget easily)

ADHD kids tend to love art, as they have a dominant right brain, immature left brain (IYKWIM??)

ADHD kids can be very loving, not all are aggressive my son is certainly not cos he knows i wouldn't accept that type of behaviour

at 8 years old i would do a behaviour agreement with him, he is old enough to try and control his behaviour or explain when he needs a time out :thumbsup:

charliegee
10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
OH THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!

I've been a bit scared as I'm very ignorant on the subject so have been trying to look into it as much as I can.

I'm looking forward to meeting the family but the only thing that scared me (an notablly because I'm ignorant on the subject - I don't want to offend!) but I read on google (probably not always helpful!) that children with ADHD can be violent and I'm nervous about the other children in my care and my own LO.

Would I need special training?

Again, I really don't want to offend - it really is just because I've got no prior knowledge on the area and just want to get as much info as poss

Your help is much appreciated!

x

Hebs
10-09-2009, 11:38 AM
i have 1 child on my books now who has ADHD plus my son, and possibly new mindee might have it :D

i love caring for these kids,

best advice i can give is to ask mum what his triggers are, what he struggles with and what behaviour management works best for him and what he loves as all ADHD kids have different triggers, it will also show mum you are wanting to help him :thumbsup:

my son's ADHD shows in his ability to climb, rather fast too :laughing: :laughing: can be up a tree in a shot :blush:

Tam's Tribe
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
hiya,

my son (who is 9) has ADHD

you MUST MUST MUST be consistant in your behaviour expectations, the good old give an inch take a mile fits perfectly

instructions must be clear (and probably need to be repeated as they forget easily)

ADHD kids tend to love art, as they have a dominant right brain, immature left brain (IYKWIM??)

ADHD kids can be very loving, not all are aggressive my son is certainly not cos he knows i wouldn't accept that type of behaviour

at 8 years old i would do a behaviour agreement with him, he is old enough to try and control his behaviour or explain when he needs a time out :thumbsup:

My son (age 9) has ADHD (as did my brother and sister) but it not medicated. I totally agree with everything Hebs has said . . . but also wanted to mention diet . . . we do not have any form of orange juice in our house as it makes him mad (dilute, fresh, etc) . . . even if he goes to friends house and offered orange juice he will decline and ask for water . . . obviously no colourants, additives, etc. . . . if he is hyperactive as well try to manage by helping him focus on specific actitives . . . I have to slow my son down coz sometimes he will spend 5 mins on Wii, then 5 minutes on Lego and then 5 minutes on Trampoline, then 5 minutes in garden and then starts again in a cycle . . . tiring just to watch him :laughing:

Boundaries
Consistancy
Focus
Diet

and praise/reward GOOD BEHAVIOUR . . . no matter how big or small . . . my son loves responsibility and he is loving and kind and I also continually praise his good behaviour.

oh I was also advised by professionals that you need to acknowledge and accept what is normal behaviour for his age (no child is perfectly behaved all the time) and not get on him for everything he does (which is what I was doing, coz it can be hard work) . . . coz all he will be receiving is negativity.

Good Luck!

Lovies
Tam

Hebs
10-09-2009, 11:52 AM
. I have to slow my son down coz sometimes he will spend 5 mins on Wii, then 5 minutes on Lego and then 5 minutes on Trampoline, then 5 minutes in garden and then starts again in a cycle . . . tiring just to watch him :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

and the mouth that goes a mile a minute :laughing: :laughing:

Tam's Tribe
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

and the mouth that goes a mile a minute :laughing: :laughing:

Never ever stops talking or singing (his is attempting opera now, trying to hit the high notes, my hubby thinks it is so funny)