PDA

View Full Version : where to start? omg!

mama2three
10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
i really havent got a clue! not reg as self employed yet which i know i need to do - but other than that im totally lost! what about NI? and expenses are confusing me too - i know i can claim a percentage of bills etc , thats fine but meals etc? do you actually work out how much each has cost and keep the receipts for absolutely everything? or average costs? but then dont you have to keep all food receipts anyway? Im babbling now in my confusion - sorry! Please can someone fool proof it for me?

cabby
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
when i first called IR to register as self employed they asked if i wanted someone to come out and see me to go through my accounts with me and help fill in my first tax return, the lady who came out went through everything with me, she left me a sheet to fill in all my expences and income on ( ive since found out its out of a NCMA account book ) i still photo copy 12 of the same sheet every year!!! do they not still offer that service, it was about 8 years ago!!! she also left me a booklet called "information for childminders" from IR which is really good.x

Daftbat
10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Good advice from Karen. You could also try to meet with a local cm to see how they do it if they are willing to show you. The people at the tax office are really helpful though so i would ring them anyway.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
when i first called IR to register as self employed they asked if i wanted someone to come out and see me to go through my accounts with me and help fill in my first tax return, the lady who came out went through everything with me, she left me a sheet to fill in all my expences and income on ( ive since found out its out of a NCMA account book ) i still photo copy 12 of the same sheet every year!!! do they not still offer that service, it was about 8 years ago!!! she also left me a booklet called "information for childminders" from IR which is really good.x

Don't advertise the copying as NCMA hold the copyright. Just type it in excel and change something small.