PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU ARE FEELING POORLY AND YOU ARE WORKING?

angeldelight
10-09-2009, 06:36 AM
So what do you do if you start to feel poorly during the day - sickness - upset tummy - flu etc and you start to feel really ill within an hour of all the children arriving but you felt fine when they were dropped off

Or even if you start to feel ill later in the day

Do you grin and bear it and try to carry on because you do not want to let the parents down and you know some of them will not be happy when you appeared to be fine at drop off

Or do you carry on anyway even if you feel ill later because you know parents will be funny and expect you to continue working

Or do you call the parents straight out and give them no choice but to collect their child / ren ?

Just out of interest really

Angel xx

sue m
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
If it was just a cough, cold or sore throat, I'd carry on working but if I felt really sick or was sick, I'd call the parents straight away. For one thing it's not fair on them or the child/ren, they might all get it if it's a bug and for another thing, if I'm sick, I want to go lay down on my own and feel like I'm dying!!! :( x

miffy
10-09-2009, 06:42 AM
If I had sickness or diarrhoea then I'd call the parents to collect but if it was cold/flu symptoms I'd probably try and carry on til the end of the day.

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
10-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I carry on working :panic: My parents would probably be ok with me phoning them, can't say for certain as I've never phoned them

I just don't like to feel that I'm letting them down and carry on regardless. Luckily apart from the flu I had last xmas I don't get many illnesses that I couldn't work with if that makes sense

Carol xx

Pudding Girl
10-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Phone them to come and collect if D&V, if it's a cold, no, but if it developed into flu symptoms, definitely.

FizzysFriends
10-09-2009, 06:56 AM
I carry on working, dont think parents would mind but I'd rather plod on.

angeldelight
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
I carry on working, dont think parents would mind but I'd rather plod on.

It is what a lot of us tend to do I think

Angel xx

FizzysFriends
10-09-2009, 07:01 AM
It is what a lot of us tend to do I think

Angel xx

and its what I have been doing for the last week, lol

Mollymop
10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I felt poorly a few months back now - it came on in the afternoon so only a had 4 hours to go so I just got on with it. If I was feeling physically sick I would phone the parents - but if it is a bad headache, belly ache then I just get on with it depending on how ill I felt and what time of day it was

balloon
10-09-2009, 07:06 AM
If I was sick I'd call and ask for pick up (I thought e were required to do that anyway????) A cold I carry on but dose up with Lemsip or similar, Flu, no idea as I haven't had to ace that yet but if I thought it affected the level of care I could give or would put the child at risk I would deffo call for collection.

Mouse
10-09-2009, 07:23 AM
I carry on working.

In 13 years I have never sent a child home because I'm ill. In fact I've only ever had about 5 days off sick myself. I've only ever once sent a child home sick and have never not worked because my own children were ill.

I think my body is fine tuned to only be ill at weekends or holidays! Last Christmas I went down with flu within 2 hours of the children finishing for the holidays...but I'd been feeling completely fine up until then!

Polly2
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I tend to carry on though not been that ill recently (thank goodness) I did send children home when I had sickness and runs.

I hate being sick and I am a real baby about it :panic:

bibi571
10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
My migraines were totally out of control last year :eek: :eek: :eek: and i'll never know how i got through work last year with the horrific headache i was suffering, but i never sent the kids home.

Just kept plodding on, but the kids would know when i had one, and would do kids on tip-toeing through the lounge-lol! It depinately wasn't quiet, but but would help a little - got great meds now that have them pretty much under control - horse tranquillers :thumbsup: But they work!

Barbara :littleangel:

Pudding Girl
10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
If I was sick I'd call and ask for pick up (I thought e were required to do that anyway????)

Exactly.

We moan and chuff when parents don't stick to the exclusion periods, we should be sticking to it the same. Infection Control anyone?!

angeldelight
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Exactly.

We moan and chuff when parents don't stick to the exclusion periods, we should be sticking to it the same. Infection Control anyone?!

I fully agree but you will find that most parents if you call them will say "oh its ok I dont mind them staying with you if you dont mind "
They forget that you might NOT feel like working because you feel so ill and they do not even think of the fact that you could be passing something on to their child

Angel xxx

Bananabrain
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
What do I do if I'm feeling poorly?

Suffer:laughing:

Last winter,just before Christmas,I had the flu. I carried on regardless because mum of two mindees is a G.P and I knew that she was snowed under and didn't have anyone else.

Gherkin
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
D&V would be a call to come and collect but cough colds sore throat are generally a just get on with it.

Bit like Mouse I am pretty much guaranteed to feel like rubbish at a weekend or on holiday.

Alibali
10-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd plod on till home time feeling very sorry for myself and then spend the night moaning to my poor dh:D

tammerisk
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
dope up on the safest amount of medicine i can and if then i still feel really bad send them home.

cough and cold no different than them having one if i sent a chidl home every time they coughed i would never work!!(sounds like a good idea as i would still get paid if they ill!!!!!!!!)

no really consider like this would you go home form another job with these sympton then if the anwser is yes then send them home if it is no then don't.

and you always feel worse when you first get up and tend to get better as the days goes on till about teas time and you shut down again body natural prosess