PDA

View Full Version : daily diary lost again

Joannechildmind
09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I have just been told the 8th yes 8th daily diary i have bought has been lost again, Parent thought i had it but i def know i sent it home last Monday. Parent says oh dear must be lost again. Both parents are exactely the same they dont see the point to them and dont even read them.

I give up with them any ideas?

bibi571
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Why don't you just do single sheets then, and pop them in the bag each day? My sheet is bound into a book, but for parents like that, who i've had in the past, i've resorted to just printing out a load of them and at the bottome it says feedback to and from home: giving them a chance to respond if they like - and it's over to them? You can lead a horse to water and all that.........

Used to do a blank note book and write a wee story, but who has the time ..........

An actual feedback sheet has worked out a lot better and someone emailed me one ages ago and i amened it and updated it to suit my service. My CCO loved it?

HTH

Barbara :)

angeldelight
10-09-2009, 06:07 AM
I know how you feel I have the same problem with one parent

I also put in sheets about the planning we have done etc and they also get lost

I sometimes wonder why I bother

Sorry I have no advice but if you come up with a bright idea let me know because I find it really annoying

Angel xx

miss muffit
10-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Dont do one at all lol!!!!
sorry had to say it!!!

now that might be a good idea how about you keeping diary at home and emailing to say what their child has been up to during the day
then sending diary home at the weekend

or have a sheet and on collection get parents to sign to say they have taken home

or charge them a fee that they get back when child leaves your setting

or charge them a fee every time they lose it

trouble is parents dont know what hard work it is keeping all this paperwork up to date

I asked for some paperwork back from a parent and she told me she hadnt had chance to do it AS shes busy AND has got a life!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry will get off my high horse now :D

miffy
10-09-2009, 06:53 AM
My daily diary is an A4 sheet split into 4 days - I get parents to sign it when they collect each night then the sheets go in the children's files.

I find this works for me but it does depend whether the parents are interested or not.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
My daily diary is an A4 sheet split into 4 days - I get parents to sign it when they collect each night then the sheets go in the children's files.

I find this works for me but it does depend whether the parents are interested or not.

Miffy xx

Thats a good idea Miffy but how does that work

Sorry its early ha ha

Does that sheet then go home with the parent - what I mean is if they sign it then it goes home where is your proof that you gave it them in the first place if it gets lost or they never bring it back

Or do you get the parent to read it at collection time ? Then they sign it and then you keep it in your files ?
If thats the case what about them making a comment and bringing it back the next day - this is what a lot of my parents do

Or do you use another method ?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to come up with something for one parent that would be easier for all

Angel xx

Mollymop
10-09-2009, 07:10 AM
It's frustrating isn't it. I had one parent who lost 2 so i didnt provide one anymore but they were about to leave me anyway.
Does the child bring a bag? Maybe you could put it in their and hopefully that is where it will stay, that is what I do with all mine and I haven't had one lost yet, only the one parent who I just spoke about - but they didn't bring a bag

miffy
10-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Or do you get the parent to read it at collection time ? Then they sign it and then you keep it in your files ?
If thats the case what about them making a comment and bringing it back the next day - this is what a lot of my parents do

Angel xx

That's exactly what I do - they read it when they pick up - then they sign it and when the sheet is full it goes in the children's file.
If they want to make a comment there is space where they sign it for that. TBH parents rarely write any comments but as far as I'm concerned I can show Ofsted they've had the opportunity and I do make a note of anything the parents tell me so hope I'm covering enough.

Miffy xx

balloon
10-09-2009, 07:16 AM
The parents don't want them so don't bother doing it!

Serious hunnie don't waste your time!!

Do a once a month or once a week round up telling them what their little angels are doing and leave it as that. Get them to sign a note saying they don't want the daily diaries...

I do a daily sheet, one parent gives them back, another can't be bothered, a third forgets. I tell them every day the main points when they pick up anyway so it doesn't matter much as long as you communicate with them. My inspector was actually pleased that I'd ditched the daily diaries and replaced with sheets as I said the parents weren't interested in the books...

rickysmiths
10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I have just been told the 8th yes 8th daily diary i have bought has been lost again, Parent thought i had it but i def know i sent it home last Monday. Parent says oh dear must be lost again. Both parents are exactely the same they dont see the point to them and dont even read them.

I give up with them any ideas?

It is for this reason that I stopped doing Daily Diaries years ago.

What I do now is send the Learning Journey home about twice a term. I have printed out comments boxes for the parents to write in. The books are A4 sized so harder to 'loose'. Some of the parents still don't comment though and that is of course that is their choice I can't force them.

Mollymop
10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
If the parents don't bother reading them and I would still do one for my benefit and keep it here with me. x

Twinkle
10-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I send A4 daily sheets home too. One parent has a file that she keeps the daily sheets, some art work and all the newsletters in. The other just reads it, sometimes, and then bins it :( .

Mcgons
22-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Would it work to have some kind of book bag like kids have for school? I have to sign my son's reading record every day after he's read to me, then the bag goes back the following day. I've seen plastic see-through ones as well as the normal school branded ones so might not cost too much. Then it could be used to take paintings etc home in as well. If it's big enough and labelled, they might remember to bring it each day? (or maybe not!)

Bev

tashaleee
29-09-2009, 06:09 AM
I have a parent who is exactly the same! :rolleyes: No matter what I did they either lost the diary and ignored all questions in it (so obviously never read it either). After they lost the last one I didnt bother replacing it and they have never mentioned it since. My other mindees all have diaries, no problem. I explained to Ofsted (inspection last week) that this parent was not interested in 2 way diary, only wanted verbal communication, and kept loosing my diaries so we stopped doing them. Provided evidence of current diairies for the children I had on that day, plus one parent brought in older diaries so I could show continuity. Ofsted were fine about this and it didnt affect my grading. Obviously if you wanted to you could keep a diary for your own info, but as parents usually keep a diary once its full Im not sure how much that would help you (observations would highly problems, concerns, wow moments, achievements, general play etc)

suez
29-09-2009, 08:50 AM
i stopped doing my daily diarys a while ago too as both parents kept loosing them, so i asked both of them would they be happier me doing a monthly news letter and they both agreed to this, so thats what i'v been doing since i keep my own copy. i use my little diary to note what we've being doing and what area it covers i was told as long as you can prove you comunicate thats ok, i also send text pictures to the parents and they love that too