PDA

View Full Version : claiiming child tax credit doing different hours

mozarella
09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
The parents asked me if i knew how it works, at the moment she has a flat fee but her LO is starting school next week and my fee will change for school term and holiday time, do you know how it works with teh child tax credit?

sarah707
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
The parent needs to ring tax credits at the start of the holiday and put the childcare cost up... then at the end and put it down again.

they can't cope with knowing in advance either, so you can't ring them until the day it changes :rolleyes:

Alternatively you can average fees out over the year, but that can get messy if they leave with you owing them or visa versa.

hth :D

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 06:43 PM
They need to average their childcare out over the year. They only change a claim if the change is longer than 4 weeks, therefore they will only increase it for the summer holidays and they wont get more for the half terms.

sarah707
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
They need to average their childcare out over the year. They only change a claim if the change is longer than 4 weeks, therefore they will only increase it for the summer holidays and they wont get more for the half terms.

One of my mums says she gets more during the holidays, just rings them up and tells them...?

Dunno then :huh:

wellybelly
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I average out fees based on 39 weeks a year term time and 13 weeks a year school holidays. I always tell parents to inform tax credits then they don't have to panic about finding the money for school 6 week hols.

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
They never let me, this is what it says on the HMRC site:

Changes in circumstances of the child or young person you're responsible for
Tell us if a child or young person you're responsible for:

Stays in full-time education - or starts an approved training course - after they reach 16. If you don't tell us, any Child Tax Credit you get for them will stop on 31 August after their 16th birthday.
Stops full time education but registers with a careers service - like Connexions.
Your child reaches 16 - are you still entitled to tax credits?

You start paying for childcare - or your childcare costs go up
Let us know if:

You start paying a registered or approved childcare provider to look after your child. You can get some help with the cost of this through Working Tax Credit.
You're already getting help with your childcare costs through Working Tax Credit - and your costs go up. Tell us if they go up by £10 a week or more on average - for at least four weeks in a row.

mozarella
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Oh that is complicated

Does that mean I have to change my fees and do a flat fee for the year !! or can i charge as i do and then she sort it out with the child tax credit?

I know it may sounds silly but it is all new to me and to her

Moz

tammerisk
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
i did this for a parent and she paid me a flat rate each week but if they don't stay with oyu or you take time off i can be difficult to know if they have paid you the whole amount that they owe you

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh that is complicated

Does that mean I have to change my fees and do a flat fee for the year !! or can i charge as i do and then she sort it out with the child tax credit?

I know it may sounds silly but it is all new to me and to her

Moz

No you charge as you want to. Personally I don't average my rates over the year, parents pay more in the holidays.

The parent will the work out her annual costs for tax credits, if the child at school and you are having them on teacher training days remind parent about them.

mummyof3
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
One of my parents told me to calculate my fees for the next 12mths and make sure I include the school holidays full fees then divide it by 52wks and tell her what to claim :eek: .
I told her to :censored: and do it herself!!!! I am a childminder not an accountant!

I charge her each month what fees she has incurred and its up to her to make sure she is claiming the correct amount.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I average out fees based on 39 weeks a year term time and 13 weeks a year school holidays. I always tell parents to inform tax credits then they don't have to panic about finding the money for school 6 week hols.

I do this and divide the yearly cost for 12 monthly instalments

mozarella
09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I want to be as helpful as I can, she is a really nice lady, single mum and struggling to pay all the bills by the end of the month so really want to make sure she can get the money

But, as you said it can get messy and I am planning to go on maternity leave around march april and I dont charge during the xmas holiday as I am away.. How will I ever work this out !!! and she pays me weekly so what a mess !!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Do a weekly fee then and she can tell TC when it goes up or down