PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Vyx
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Folks

I would just like your input please if you wouldn't mind.

Starting childminding is a fairly huge decision for me. We have no children of our own and I have a fairly good job already (so does DH but it's only me that will be registering). I am fairly sure that the size of our home will mean I won't be able to have enough mindees to make it financially viable (we only have 1 reception room) so we are seriously considering moving to a bigger home (we are renting). Also, as we have no children, we have absolutely zero child equipment (toys, safety etc) so my start up costs will also be fairly significant (I know there is poss a grant available).

So we are looking at a lot of change and a large commitment and I am fortunate to have DH's full support in this.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me 'Is it worth it?' Especially those of you who have left other employment to start childminding and/or didn't have children of their own.

many thanks

Vyx
xx

rickysmiths
09-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi!

I started childminding for very different reasons and in a different way so I couldn't comment on your circumstances I'm afraid. I can tell you how it was for me if that helps.

I had had my two children they were 1 and 3 when I started minding. I had had a very well paid job but really wanted to be a stay at home mum. Once I had to pay childcare fees for two children I took the decision to give up and reg as my sil had done.

However, and this is the biggy, I had no expectation to replace my full income. I had min set up costs, in fact zero because we were child proofed and I had my childrens toys. All I needed to earn was the max I could then was enough to suppilment (sp!) my husbands modest income so we could have a holiday and afford presents and a few treats. I had one child from 1-5pm every day.

I think that is were you need to really think hard if you already have a well paid job and you will have to set up from scratch. Were as it was an extention of what I already had at home you are going to be making a huge change to your current lifestyle.

I have been minding for 15yrs and have bent and shaped by work very much arounds the needs of my family. My two are now 14 and 16, I am and have for the last 9yrs working 50+ hours a week I currently have four under 3.5yrs 10 hrs a day (in case you wondered they are all but one on holiday, the one is asleep!).

I earn more than my Primary school teacher husband with 20yrs experience, so a very respectable income. It has not always been the case and things can change at the drop of a hat which can be very hard. A friend down the road has lost a family of two very unexpectedly because dads job has moved to a different area. Half her income gone.

If it is really what you want to do then you will make a success of it. It is a fantastically rewarding job, why I haven't been tempted back to Catering Management! I adore my 'extended family'. I am still in touch with many of my ex-mindees.

Annie_T
09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
i only use kitchen and living room for minding

my sons room is used as sleeping/queit area and i have garden too

i am allowed 5 children anyone time (under 8 and long i dont go over my ratio of ages etc)

i started monday and enjoy it, tomorrow will be my test as i will have 2 mindees

you dont have to move im sure hun, end day it will be down to the ofsted people that come view house to how many you will be able to mind ... tho a bigger house would be nice you got think of you and hubby too hun x

Vyx
09-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Ladies, thank you for your responses, they are really appreciated. Ricky - your final comments made me smile, I'm not looking at childminding purely from a fiancial point of view (although it is important) but want something satisfying and worthwhile (compared to my boring office job) so to know you are still happy after 15 years of childminding is very encouraging.

Annie - hmmm, that's interesting to know. However my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp and my spare room is a study/library (sounds posh but it isn't) and storage :(

The more I think about it the more I think we will move. I fear that, even if I can have enough mindees, we will not be able to move in the house! I don't want to get as far as the pre reg Ofsted visit (considering that here you have to have completed the ICP before you can even apply) to be told I can only have 1 mindee (my house really is that small.

Many thanks, all thoughts are very much appreciated.

Vyx

xx

Vyx
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
*cheeky bump* :littleangel:

sarah707
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I used my dining room until last year when I'd saved up to have a conservatory put on the back.

Ofsted will tell you whether you have enough space when they come to visit.

Can you move things around or maybe get rid of a big piece of furniture?

Why not ask a friend for some honest thoughts about the space available - other people often see what we might not :D

Vyx
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Sarah

I really don't think, especially having been to the pre-reg briefing session last night, that our space is enough to make it work :( We live in a 2 bed end terrace, with one reception room :( the spare bedroom won't be added into the equation at all as it will have to house the 3 parrot cages that currently live in the living room. I am also thinking in terms of our quality of life given all the room that kids stuff takes up and 2 large dogs etc :(

So the decision has been made to move! Off to see some lettings agencies in the morning :clapping:

Plus we are paying rather high rent for our home and know we can get a lot more for our money anyway.

Thanks for the input.

singlewiththree
11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I know of a friend who only has one small room she uses for childminding and no garden and she can still have the maximum number of children.

I started childminding as I have three children and became a single parent. I went out to work and found it too hard/stressful (in a different way) and having to juggle three different childcare arrangements was a nightmare.

I would think starting from scratch with toys/safety would be hard but you can always buy from carboots/family/ National Childbirth trust sales are also good and the finances offset from your profit. I wouldn't say I would have gone into it for the finance. I'm a childminder so that I can stay with my own children especially if they are upset/ill and go to their school performances etc.

You might want to consider working in a nursery first or another childcare profession to see if you actually like it as I loved children but having my own turned out to be the hardest thing I have ever done and I do think my experience of my own children has helped me to understand the mindees better. the ICP course is just a basic course and I would recommend doing the NVQ or another childcare course to give you more idea of what children like to do at different ages and behaviour management.
good luck

FussyElmo
11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I started in a two bed terrace house. Ofsted were fine with the house didnt reduce my numbers. The only difference is I had children already so had the toys in place. You can get great storage now that doesnt ruin the look of your house.

Childminding is a worthwhile profession but it is very changeable. Be prepared for periods when you might not have work but then be full. Job security isnt good.