PDA

View Full Version : First selling in session

sarah32
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I had my first settling in session this morning with a 9.1/2 month old little boy.

Knew it was going to be hard as very clingy with mummy.

He came and happily sat with me and played and smiled for about 30 minutes and then he started crying , he seemed tired so tried to lay him to see if he would go asleep, just clawed at me so put him in his buggy with blanket and he cried for a little while and then went to sleep.

Woke up, happy for a couple of minutes then started crying again so did his bottle that mum supplied, started feeding him and was leaking everywhere, took lid off and it was all broken inside, tried my best but he got soaked even with a bib on. Looked in bag for change of clothes and nothing.

After that thought Id change his bum and all that was in his bag was pull ups, bit strange for a baby. Took old one and hes got terrible nappy rash and no cream in bag.

I think its going to be a bit of a struggle, mums very young. Dont want to bombard her with lots of things i need so I think im going to be off out this weekend to get some spares in like bottles, clothes and cream.

Another settling in session next week, wish me luck:)

CherryBlossom
09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Good luck.

Maybe gently suggest to Mum that different nappies might help baby.
I am sure he will be ok soon, just takes some getting use to!

x

Cazz
09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Poor little boy - pull ups aren't absorbent enough for his age, no wonder he's got nappy rash.

Looks like she will need some friendly advice!

Good luck and hope he settles :thumbsup:

sarah32
09-09-2009, 01:34 PM
i'd just realised i Spelt settling wrong, derrr.

:laughing: :laughing:

Cazz
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
i'd just realised i Spelt settling wrong, derrr.

:laughing: :laughing:

We still knew what you meant, lol :laughing:

uf353432
09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Go easy on buying things like nappy rash creams without mums input - some babies might be sensitive to certain ones or mum might not want you to use them. If you are concerned at all about nappy rash you could wipe some Olive oil on his bum - its a good barrier, all natural and will give him some comfort against the wee on his skin. You could also change him more frequently and if able to - give extra nappy off time.

Also be careful sending him home in clothes you have bought for him - you may not see them again.

Sally G
09-09-2009, 06:08 PM
i would give mum a 'reminder' newsletter with thing that all children need to bring with them, iinc spare bottle cloathes etc....

her8y
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
A childminder friend of mine typed up a tick box list of items she wanted parents to supply which worked for her. I used it for one of my mums and it worked a treat. She used it to pack the lo changing bag!

Another way round it may be to ask for a supply of things to be kept at your house. I keep the clothes that need changing until I get another spare set:thumbsup:

sarah32
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Mum has learning disabilities and isnt able to deal with paperwork so I will have to keep it simple and tick list sounds great Her8y

UF353432 - I would never put creams on a baby without checking with parent first and I have done this and she has signed permission forms.

I dot mind clothes going home and not seeing them again, she needs help and thats ok with me, I managed to get some clothes today from the Sure Start Centre that other people have donated and people are giving me stuff for him.