PDA

View Full Version : Local preschool pick ups

singlewiththree
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I have been inundated with pick up requests from our local preschool which opens until 4pm. The thing is I have changed my dd's preschool hours so I can pick up at 12pm as I have a school run to do at 3.15p and then its a 15 mins walk to preschool and then take the 5 or sometimes 7 I have back home again. I have decided not to pick up at 4pm, plus they all take up under 5 slots and I'm one of the few childminders who has a child who leaves mid afternoon so I have a slot but just don't want to do the walk. I feel really guilty saying no and I try and recommend other childminders but I know the long standing ones wont do it as it takes up an under 5 slot and the newer ones are all full. I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone else feels guilty saying no. I've decided it would impact too much on me and the children I have after school, including my own and they won't all fit into the car.

westbrom44
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I am happy to do a pre school pick up as long as I have the space, but charge a daily rate of £25 so it puts people off.
I certainly dont feel guilty as it wouldnt be worth it if I only charged for when the child would be here. I am running my own business to make money not run at a loss. I also love my job!

miffy
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think you should feel guilty - these parents are using pre-school rather than childminders for their child care presumably because it's either cheaper or free. They only want a childminder for the few hours they can't get covered at pre-school so why should you feel guilty?

Miffy xx