PDA

View Full Version : SureStart help?

ashleyrose-66
09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi, firstly I am not a childminder but hope someone can help me?

My wife is a childminder and until recently, went each week to the local SureStart centre, which she and the little boy she cares for really enjoyed.

We moved house in July and are no longer in the borough that the centre is located in. Our new borough does not have a SureStart centre and my wife misses the good friends she had made at the SureStart centre (as does the little boy she cares for)

My question is:

Can my wife no longer attend the centre as she now lives out of the borough? Do you have to specifically live within a "catchment area" to attend SureStart sessions?

It is making her really sad as we really do love our new home, but she does miss having the centre to attend as does the little boy she cares for, and she obviously also wants him to be happy.

We have contacted the local borough and they have sent a list of groups my wife could attend, but they are all afternoon sessions and clash with the time she has to collect our 7-year-old from school!

Your advice is really appreciated - I want to make them happy again!!

sarah707
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

I asked an out of area group if I could visit recently as I had a child on that particular day... they said it would be ok as a one-off but not regularly.

Sorry that's my experience, I'm not sure about others...

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Ask the Surestart centre that you left?

Aren't they just drop in so you don't need to give your address?

wellybelly
09-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I attend other area groups as I kind of live on the border of 2 counties. I tell them I'm not from the area and they are fine with it. To be honast, what can they do about it? I am a childminder with children in my care. These groups (if run properly) should be welcoming everyone for the benefit of the children.

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I too am on a border of 2 counties and can visit sure starts in either county.

tammerisk
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
our center lets anyone come to the drop in and i run the childmionding support group and i am the only childminder in there catchment area that attend all the other come from all over norhtamton

they do say for the courses they will let local parents have the places first but if there any left then they let you come but the sessions are for anyone

Pipsqueak
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
its budgets each time - serving the local area first. I would give them a call and ask, no harm in that, even if its just popping by for an occasional session

jeanybeany
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I use to work in a childrens centre and have found that although they serve the local area first and foremost, there is no reason why your wife cannot still attend, especially the drop in sessions. If there is no CC in your new borough then your wife should beable to still attend. I would also ring and ask, explain the situation, how your wife feels and also mention continuity for the children in her care after all 'every child matters'(sorry for the cliche). The cc in my area would have no problems at all with this and welcome people out of the area.:D