PDA

View Full Version : gluten free playdough/messy play?

loocyloo
09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
hope someone can help!

i look after a 1 yr old with multiple allergies, so finding stuff to do messy play with is interesting to say the least!

i thought about making (cooked) playdough ... does anyone know if it can be made with gluten free flour? or if i need to add anything else to make it work?

i currently offer rice/lentils/gluten free flour to play with, but can't use ANY of the pastas and few pulses! mum hasn't tried jelly - i'm not game to try it first!

i know my glue is gluten free - lots of sticking coming on i think!

x

zippy
09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
i would have thought you could just get a gluten free flour, i think gram flour is gluten free but youd need to check

zippy
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
for a jelly you could make some fruit juice jelly using gelatine, look up annabel carmel stuff, recipe on there

loocyloo
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
thank you.

i have the gluten free flour, just wondered if anyone had tried it!

mum hasn't tried gelatine yet!

ok ... will get making the playdough for next week!

Twinkles
09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
My mum has coeliac disease and has to have gluten free everything. I'm not sure playdoh would work with gluten free flour as it's the gluten that makes it stretchy ( be worth a try though ).

Have you checked the shop bought playdoh to see if it contains gluten ?

youarewhatyoueat
09-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Gluten-Free Play Dough
Ingredients:

½ cup rice flour

½ cup cornstarch

½ cup salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon cooking oil

Food coloring, if desired

Directions:

Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.

I haven't tried it but instead of the rice flour and corn starch try the gf flour.
Also don't forget good old gloop is gluten free as its corn flour. i'm coeliac!!!
Caroline

her8y
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
hope someone can help!

i look after a 1 yr old with multiple allergies, so finding stuff to do messy play with is interesting to say the least!

i thought about making (cooked) playdough ... does anyone know if it can be made with gluten free flour? or if i need to add anything else to make it work?

i currently offer rice/lentils/gluten free flour to play with, but can't use ANY of the pastas and few pulses! mum hasn't tried jelly - i'm not game to try it first!

i know my glue is gluten free - lots of sticking coming on i think!

x

Can mum get gluten free pasta on prescription and give some to you. My mum is coeliac and I have minded a child who was gluten intolerant and I used all her prescription pastas etc..

nikki13
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
i would have thought you could just get a gluten free flour, i think gram flour is gluten free but youd need to check

this is correct and you can make play dough out of it just follow normal recipie

gegele
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
what about cereal or corn flour?
am i being thick??
does it have to be food?

what about shaving foam?
soap flake?
compost?
sand?
icecube and food coloring?

loocyloo
10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
thank you everyone SOOOOOO MUCH!

child is also allergic to eggs, all dairy, all wheat (gluten), all products containing starch & pasta (no matter what type) !! oh, and perfume! plus a few other random things !!!

so ... i can't use cornflour, as that is mainly starch!

been an interesting couple of days! luckily she is fine with all fruits & veg !!! i have got signs everywhere at the moment reminding me what she can/can't have! but think its going to take me a while to be as relaxed as mum is!

Jen4Kids
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I use gluten free flour to make microwave playdoh for my neice :)

loocyloo
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I use gluten free flour to make microwave playdoh for my neice :)

ooo, do you have a recipe/link to microwave playdough? sounds great!

thanks

Jen4Kids
13-09-2009, 08:51 AM
The reciepe i have is for microwave play dough

2 cups salt
2 cups plain flour (use gluten free instead)
2 cups water with food colour
4 teaspoons cream of tatar
4 teaspoons cooking oil

Mix ingredients in a bowl, cook in microwave for 4 minutes, keep mixing/stirring and kneed until done. Keep in air-tight container