PDA

View Full Version : School bags

cuffleygirl
09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I have always carried infant book bags (well on the buggy tbh) and let juniors carry their own as I can't carry them all and buggy would tip (a no-no) so I feel it is fairest to carry any of them. Mum of one who has just started junior school and has a bag bigger than him has asked me to carry it as he doesn't like to! You've guessed it he is an only child! I have said I will see it will fit on the buggy but he does have to be responsible as it not fair on others - he will have to carry it I'm afraid.

When do you encourage children to carry their own school bags?

angeldelight
09-09-2009, 06:39 AM
All my children have always been really good and carry their own bags even the little 3 year olds

I dont think it hurts and if you have 6 kids to mind it can weigh you down if you carry them all - imagine that :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe you could suggest the older child takes a smaller bag :laughing: :laughing: I would certainly make him carry it himself but would prob in all fairness put it under the buggy if it were that heavy ha

Angel xx

flora
09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Yep, afraid I do.

If I take the double buggy and if the girls want to walk on the way home from school the kids can load the pram up.

But otherwise it's carry your own!!!!

Think I would be saying to mum, sorry but if I carry one I should be able to carry all and I can't, so he will have to learn to manage. If he is at junior school he is 7 or 7+ so quite old enough to carry it bless him :laughing:

miffy
09-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I think you need to talk to the mum about this.

What has he got in the bag? I mean does he need such a huge bag or could he have a smaller one?

You just need to explain that you can't carry everyone's bags and so he needs one that he can carry comfortably.

Miffy xx

sarah707
09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
My lot all carry their own bags :D

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't carry anyones bags!! I give them the option in the morning of leaving some of their stuff at mine instead of taking it to school as I have one that takes teddies, toys and alsorts and her bag is massive but its her choice to take it all, she's old enough to know taking it will make her bag heavy.

If the toddlers have a really heavy bag I will take something out and put it in the pushchair but dont take the whole bag because I want them to get used to it as I can't carry everyones, they all take so much stuff.

louised
09-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm the same if you can't carry it don't bring it! I'm not a pack horse and my own children always carried their own bags

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
My 3 year old carries his own bag to playgroup!

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 07:04 AM

They always look really cute don't they, the young ones with a back pack on.

rickysmiths
09-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Ditto. My own and all minded children have always carried their own bags and musical instruments. If they can't carry it it dosn't go. I'm a mother and a childminder, not a packhourse. I always make this clear at interview stage.

I see a chat with mum coming on.

Twinkle
09-09-2009, 07:13 AM
:) I'm so glad this thread is here!

There are three other childminders at the school I pick up from and all three carry the kids bags, coats etc etc.

Up to now I've felt really mean because, unless they are overladen, I make them all carry their own stuff home - I feel so much better now :jump for joy:

Daftbat
09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I have always carried infant book bags (well on the buggy tbh) and let juniors carry their own as I can't carry them all and buggy would tip (a no-no) so I feel it is fairest to carry any of them. Mum of one who has just started junior school and has a bag bigger than him has asked me to carry it as he doesn't like to! You've guessed it he is an only child! I have said I will see it will fit on the buggy but he does have to be responsible as it not fair on others - he will have to carry it I'm afraid.

I agree with you regarding carrying bags and i only do it for infant age children. I think though the only child point is not really an issue here. I have cared for lots of siblings who have had large bags etc and parents who want to do everything for them.

I would talk to this parent about the amount of stuff in the bag and take it from there.

christine e
09-09-2009, 07:22 AM
:) I'm so glad this thread is here!

There are three other childminders at the school I pick up from and all three carry the kids bags, coats etc etc.

Up to now I've felt really mean because, unless they are overladen, I make them all carry their own stuff home - I feel so much better now :jump for joy:

I am the same as you. They all carry their own bags but I do help out if someone is overladen!

Cx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Mine usually had hand held bags that are generally full of nothing and if they will go on the buggy they will but the ruck sacks get carried as they are too heavey, especially with two in a double buggy going up hill.

Tam's Tribe
09-09-2009, 07:29 AM
My children have always carried their own bag and so my mindees will too . . . even the little ones in Reception but to be honest all they have in is either nothing or a jumper.

loocyloo
09-09-2009, 08:25 AM
my infants carry lunchboxes, and i take book bags ( which weigh nothing! ) and my juniors all carry their backpacks ( with lunchboxes in them! )

sometimes i carry their coats/jumpers...depends what else i have on buggy! on the rare day i don't have a buggy, i take a big bag and carry the book bags! ( but those that don't have a lunch box, carry their own book bag! so everyone is carrying something! )

sometimes when they come out of school with tons of stuff, and then a model of something they have made, i always get them to leave at school for mum to collect in the morning, or on a day mum picks up! i say i can't carry it safely home!

x

wellybelly
09-09-2009, 08:29 AM

The headteacher at my local infant school matched over to me and all my afterschoolies in the playground last term and said "you children should all carry your own bags, its not fair on Mrs Wellybelly to carry everything and look after you". That was easy then LOL! Obviously the kids did as they were told from that day onwards!

The Juggler
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I make them carry their big backpacks. Whatever can fit underneath can go in but backpacks need carrying. My last double handles went because of the weight of them!

FussyElmo
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I make all the children carry something - even the 2 year old's carry their backpacks if they want to take them!!!

The only thing I will carry is one of the mindees caliphers as this are really bulky and I can fit them under the pushchair!!!

Daisy1956
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
We set of to school with everyone carrying their own bags but somewhere along the way at least one ends up in my hand, i'm not sure how it happens. have you felt the weight of some of their bags they need to be weight lifters

Rubybubbles
09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
My ds year 3 has a bookbag and lunch box, I bought him a lunch bag which goes over the shoulder from millets:thumbsup:

My dd year 1 has the same

2 mindies yr 1 carry lunchbox and bookbag

BUT as I have a phil &teds if I only have one child in the pushchair, (only 2 day I have 2 unders together in there, everything gets put under:D

I do take a rusksack with me, for jumpers on warm days like this as we have to walk a good 1/2 home and they end up dropping them or losing them:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
all my kids (including my own) - even the youngest carry their own bags - I am not a packhorse nor am I their slave!

I think if you have that rule that the older ones carry their own bags, then you must stick to it - if you break the rule for one then its not fair on the others and the resulting glut of bags that will be heaped on you

madasahatter
09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I am not a packhorse nor am I their slave!

Made me laugh because this is what I tell all the kids. I make them carry their own things from day 1 at nursery. At that point it is just a book bag on a monday and friday. The only time I make an exception is first and last days of term when they may have their gym kit bag too, which I usually allow them to hang on the pushchair or carry it for them (however year 5 and 6 have to carry that themselves too).
If little ones want to take a toy on the school run I try and discourage them (and don't allow it if it is one of my toys). If it is their own toy I tell them that they have to carry it all the way there and all the way back and they soon learn not to bother.

Last week my year 1 mindee refused to go back into school for the jumper he left behind. The following day he came out wearing one waterproof and carrying his lunchbox, book bag, yesterdays jumper and another spare waterproof that he'd taken from his gym bag. He wouldn't go and put the spare waterproof back in his gym bag and so he looked pretty heavily laden and struggled to keep the jumper and waterproof from dragging on the ground. Half way back (it's only 300m) he said 'should have left this at school' referring to his extra waterproof......lesson learnt?

PixiePetal
09-09-2009, 02:11 PM
my infants carry lunchboxes, and i take book bags ( which weigh nothing! ) and my juniors all carry their backpacks ( with lunchboxes in them! )

sometimes i carry their coats/jumpers...depends what else i have on buggy! on the rare day i don't have a buggy, i take a big bag and carry the book bags! ( but those that don't have a lunch box, carry their own book bag! so everyone is carrying something! )

sometimes when they come out of school with tons of stuff, and then a model of something they have made, i always get them to leave at school for mum to collect in the morning, or on a day mum picks up! i say i can't carry it safely home!

x

I do very similar to you. :thumbsup: When you have 5 or 6 to bring home from school it is better to stick with one rule for all. As for junk models - forget it, I say 'lovely, now lets ask Mrs ....... to look after it till mum can take it in the car tomorrow' :rolleyes:

When G (then about 7 or 8)was learning cello, her mum took her in the morning and I was collecting. They had a special arrangement with school to leave cello overnight and mum picked it up when she dropped off next day. There was no way I was pushing buggy and taking that home with us along with assorted other children!

G also liked to bring a big bag of things to show me after school - dance trophy/make up - in a huge handbag - she had much older sister and got all her old stuff/clothes/books/photo album/holiday souvenirs etc. Her mum always reminded her that she would have to carry it :thumbsup:

singingcactus
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
All the children in my care are quite able to carry their own kit when I take them to school. I rarely have a pushchair with me, so they don't get the chance to overload that.
I have been having an ongoing battle with one parent who is refusing to buy a bag for their princess cos they carry all her stuff. When she is with me she carries a bottle, a lunch bag, a book bag, a jumper and a coat if she takes it as well as a pe kit twice a week. I will not give in to this pressure from her mother, I will not be forced to carry a school child's kit when she is more than capable, just because mum does it and can't be bothered to buy her a bag. Children need to learn to be self reliant, to problem solve and to be resilient - what chance do they have of this if they cannot even be allowed to carry a backpack to school!?
Anyway - it appears I have just won that battle cos mum is finally of to the shops to get her princess a proper, and comfortable backpack :) . She is going to be stoked tomorrow to be able to carry her own gear and to be like all the other kids who get to have a school bag. :)

LOOPYLISA
09-09-2009, 03:13 PM

My dd is an only child and has always carried her own bag :p :thumbsup:

littletreasures
09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
My own children carried their bags and lunchboxes and the mindees do too.

Even if I have a pushchair the basket is kept empty!!! One mindee sometimes has bag, lunchbag, coat, jumper and clarinet. She doesn't even ask me to carry it, even though Mum carries it from the car to my house for her!!!!!

jeanybeany
09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Mine are getting better at carrying their bags, but sometimes they come out with so much stuff we struggle to get home with it all. No room on the pushchair! I keep joking and saying I'm going to get a fold up carry trolley thing so they can pile the extra stuff in there and help eachother to pull it home! They now want me to get one. I'm thinking about it, there is a nice one on GLTC.

jEANYBEANY

madasahatter
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Even if I have a pushchair the basket is kept empty!!! One mindee sometimes has bag, lunchbag, coat, jumper and clarinet. She doesn't even ask me to carry it, even though Mum carries it from the car to my house for her!!!!!

Funny that how mindees who manage to 'struggle' back to your house with no complaints become unable to carry the same stuff a few metres to their parent's car......and worse how many parents are happy to be 'slaves'.

barbarella68
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Why does everybody assume that only children are spoilt,I have an only child and he carries his own?Please don't tar every only child with the same brush.Please.:D

LOOPYLISA
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Why does everybody assume that only children are spoilt,I have an only child and he carries his own?Please don't tar every only child with the same brush.Please.:D

Thankyou Barbarella, my dd is in no way spoilt, she is a very clever polite young lady, im very proud of having her :thumbsup:

Twinkles
09-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I do think that the point is to make children responsible for their own possessions.

I get really irritated when they come out of school and just hand up their bag/coat without even looking up or asking for it to be carried ( It won't be however nicely they ask ).

It also annoys me when they've forgotten something of theirs and say ' Oh mummy forgot to bring/pack that'.
I usually remind them at that point who the forgotten thing belongs to - not mummy !