PDA

View Full Version : Too early

cuffleygirl
09-09-2009, 06:33 AM
I have a mum who is always early and always late I have altered contract and fees but she still pushes it to 15 minutes - 45 minutes either side of times soon he will be living here!

She was half hour early this morning - not fair. I would mind less if she simply said beforehand or apologised but she makes no reference to it. This morning I said sarcastically are you going to be early tonight in lieu of this early start to which she says "Oh I might be late tonight!" In my experience this means I WILL be very late!

I didn't have him through the holidays she paid a retainer for the place but chose to use relatives and dad I am trying to hang on the fact that I was paid for 7 weeks when she didn't use me she is obviously thinking the same.

Just thoroughly peeved as it is starting again.

mumof4
09-09-2009, 06:38 AM
If you charge her for the extra she might think again! If you put in your contract about late pick ups, unsocial hours etc then charge accordingly and see what happens:) Good luck x

cuffleygirl
09-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Have done this previously not worked - to the point one week she paid as much in overtime as the standard fee - ie. double! She couldn't get away with it at nursery as they simply wouldn't be there let alone open but she thinks she can exploit my relationship with her son. I have had him 7 years and the last 3 have been tough.

miffy
09-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Have done this previously not worked - to the point one week she paid as much in overtime as the standard fee - ie. double! She couldn't get away with it at nursery as they simply wouldn't be there let alone open but she thinks she can exploit my relationship with her son. I have had him 7 years and the last 3 have been tough.

There's your answer then - don't open the door until her contracted time. Tell her that's what you'll be doing and stick to it.

Do you still charge her overtime? Perhaps you need to put your rates up so that they are a real deterrent.

She sounds a nightmare and it would drive me mad not knowing what time she was going to turn up (and it's not fair on her child either!)

Miffy xx

angeldelight
09-09-2009, 06:47 AM
I think shes got a damn cheek to be honest

I have a parent who used to arrive really early like that - I refused to answer the door - they almost banged it down once and were shouting through the letter box

I answered the door with wet hair and said sorry I was in the shower but you dont start till such and such a time so maybe it is best that you arrive at your contract hours in future because I will not be available - unless of course you want to change your contract times

I found it worked - sometimes they do still push it and come early but I do not answer the door even if its raining ( how mean am I )

Also 45 min late at collection time is a cheek - I think you need to speak to her and tell her that you need to know if she wants to change her times - tell her that you have to be somewhere else at a certain time if it helps

I hope you sort it there is nothing worse and the longer you leave it the more angry you will get

Good luck

Angel xx

Twinkle
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I always tell my parents not to come early. I warn them that I prepare for the day when I get up and only get dressed at 7:55 so if they arrive early I will answer the door in my nighty - that's usually enough of a deterrent!!:D :D

wendywu
09-09-2009, 07:28 AM
If she is that late call the emergency collection number.

Have a text ready for early mornings saying sorry you are not ready yet they will have to wait in the car or walk round the block.

Give them an inch and they will run a mile:panic:

CherryBlossom
09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I think that is so rude!

Maybe because it is your home people think they can take the pee...they wouldn't do it a Nursery as you say.
You are still running a business, and there is no way I would allow up to an extra 45 mins unpaid for! The cheek of it!

I agree with everyone else, and I would not answer the door until contracted hours.
I think when I start Minding that I will make it clear with every new parent, that I only open the door from the time of contracted hours..or I charge more!

Could you perhaps say to Mum, that you are going to review the contract?

Also, when she comes late do you have other Mindees there or is this outside of your normal working hours? Because I would say that you have to go out etc..and can't s she has not picked child up.

x

Pudding Girl
09-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I agree, don't open the door and then use your late collection policy (do you have one) that if theya re not there you will call the emrgency contact to collect, or failing that the SS.

No point having these policies and not actioning them. They'll soon get sick of the stick from their family/friends having to step in for them!

If it carries on, I would give notice.

twiggy
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I know how you feel. I have a mother who is never on time and she is driving me mad! she was due to arrive last week at 9am when I got back from school. I arrived home to find she had left her child at 8.35am with my 14 year old son. I was horrified that she could put her child at risk, my son and my business. I have told my son never to answer the door to her again. She also collects late with no apology and I now charge her for a minimum of 30 mins even if she is 10mins late.

rickysmiths
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I had a parent who was continually early and late.

I refused to open the door until the start time and I got so fed up of the evening I went out on evening and when the parent arrived there was no one at home!!!

I got a irrate phone call so I explained that I had an appointment in the next town and couldn't wait any longer so they would have to drive over and collect. It was a ten mile round trip for the parent. They were never late again without asking first. :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
agree with everyone else. Tell her tonight. Unless agreed beforehand with you you will not be opening door until it's time for work as you will still be in pj's. Then tell her you will charge at '£x/per hour' rate for every extra hour on top of contracted that she wants as it's eating into your family time. You don't want to charge this and you'd rather she picked her son up but you feel she is being unfair.

Good luck with this one.

LOL

zippy
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
our local nursery charges £5 for every 5 mins late, unsurprisingly ive never heard of anyone being late there, when the contract due for renewal hehehe