PDA

View Full Version : Travel Cots/Sleep Routine Advice Please

Bendy
08-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm planning on using a travel cot for my friends LO to sleep in at mine when I finally get my registration certificate.

However I lent the travel cot to my friend last weekend as she was away for the weekend at a friends. When I went to collect back off her today she told me her LO screamed everytime they put her in there and it took them over 2 hours to settle her.:eek:

I'm now panicking that she will do the same when I have her and wondered if anyone else uses a travel cot or has had a similar experience with a new mindee and how quickly it takes them to settle and get into a sleep routine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bendy

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:10 AM
My first mindee used to sleep outside at mum and dads. I was not happy with this for monitoring reasons, and agreed with M and d that she would sleep inside in a travel cot. The first few days were not great, she did scream and scream and scream :panic:
But...I went in to her, reassured her and left her again, over and over again. By the end of the week she settled straight away in the travel cot - but interestingly still used to cry if left to sleep inside at home. Just persevere with the system you want to use. Little ones are very adaptable and aslong as she is safe and the travel cot meets standards you will not be doing anything wrong!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Mine sleep all over the place, beds, travel costs and outside as long as it is warm and the area secure.

Where does mum propose that you sleep her?

Bendy
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
We agreed on travel cot but I think she is concerned now by the reaction she received when she borrowed it. I think it is easier sometimes when you not the parent to deal this these crying episodes and I like you said as long as it meets the standards and she is safe and reassured I'm sure we will crack it together.

Thanks for you both for you advice.
Bendy

miffy
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Why not let your friend keep hold of the travel cot and use it for her lo sometimes until you start minding?

It might not have been just the travel cot that unsettled her last weekend - she was away so many things may have been different, not just the cot.

Miffy xx

Daftbat
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I have used travel cots for years and have not found any problems at all. The only children who have cried have been ones who wanted to be rocked to sleep anyway.

amirose
09-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a little one (now 17 months - started with me at 13 months) who used to fall asleep being cuddled on mums lap. When he started with me I tried the cot and there was just no way - he couldn't have even exhausted himself screaming and gone to sleep because he would stand and try and escape! It was too much of a big step so now I put him in the buggy and rock the buggy till he falls asleep (2-3 minutes) he has just come back to me after a 2 month break and he went nuts when I put him down in the buggy as I used to do however by running the buggy over the step/bump in the doorway I did manage to rock him asleep in the usual 2/3minutes. Today was his third day back and his already settling better :thumbsup:

Sarahjlonguk
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Glad you asked this, as I've just had a 9mth baby start with me and she gets so upset when I lay her in the travel cot. Mum said not to cuddle and rock to sleep, so I've had to take her out in the pram which I don't want to get into every nap time dragging all the children out with me. Just wanted to keep her happy for the first few days with me then I will have to keep trying with the travel cot.

Let me know how you get on and any hints I could try.

Sarah

Bendy
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Sure thing Sarah.

Again thanks for all your advice
Bendy

Bendy
15-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Well today was the first day we have used travel cot and guess what she cried or more like complained for about 10 minutes and then was out like a light.

Hopefully this wasn't a one off.

Bendy :jump for joy:

mississmoomoo
15-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a travel cot set up in the study but not had to use it yet as my mindee doesnt sleep very often, although tbh Im happy for them to sleep wherever. I have a cosy book corner with loads of big cushions and teddys to snuggle in if they want a rest or sleep.:)