PDA

View Full Version : wud you mind a 10mth old full time?

newandlearning
08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
hi .. I had someone contact me over weekend .. initially for 8.30 to 5.30 Mon to Friday.. I would then have my own to who are 2 & 4 years, mindee 2.5yo, mindee 5yo and the 10 month old.. I wasnt sure if this would be too much.. I then decided to go with the flow and see if it could.. went back to parent...

but.. parent now wants me to do 8am - 6pm everyday instead.. I feel tired about this just thinking about is because of everyone else already here...

would you take on a 10mth old for such long periods? just wondering again..

thanks a lot..xx

FizzysFriends
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Yes I would, for the majority of the day you would have 10m, 2yr, 2.5yrs so nice mix of ages.

newandlearning
08-09-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks for reply.. am just wondering how to prepare dinner etc.. I'm thinking it would have to be whilst the LOs are sleeping?everyone always seems to get up to mischief when I leave the room to do anything.. have given up doing early dinners these days as my own 2yo stands screaming at me whilst I'm in kitchen.. its partially for this reason that I'm wondering how that would work with a 10 month old also getting tired from say 4pm onwards..xx??!

fionamal
08-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes , I did and hes now 22 months old.

Its a nice age and they will probably sleep for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon

avril
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes, my youngest son was 1.5yrs old and my oldest was 5yrs then I had mindees 3yrs old and took on a 7mnth old.

The older children love to see a baby again and they do help to stimulate the baby, helps with them learning to care etc..

Baby is now 2.5yrs and is really good friends with my youngest son, highly recommend it:thumbsup:

jaja
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
yes, i did, she was 7 months old and she was 730 am to 6pm mon to fri, with y own 2.5 year old and it worked fine, both were settled and it one more doesnt really make much difference. You are already caring for children within similar ages so go for it.....;

Good luck xxxxx

rachelle
08-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I would. My littlest mindee is 8 months but started here at 5 months for 12 hours a day. I get tea done by feeding him first and then leaving him in the highchair with toys to chew etc whilst I cook - he is more than happy and on the rare occasion he is bored / upset he comes for a rock in the buggy. It works well. :)

katickles
08-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I currently mind a 16 month, I also have 2 of my own at 5 months & 29 months. You will be suprised how you soon get into a routine & its flows nicely with the ages in our house:)

uf353432
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I definitely would. Have you considered making the tea the night before and then you are only reheating and doing veg to accompany the meal? thats the way I get round the witching hour.

mushpea
08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I would love to do this , its a lovley age,
i currently have on one day of the week 9mnth old, 22month old, 3yrold, 5yrold, 6yrold, 8yrold and 10yrold, i have them all on various other different days but this one day of the week is my mad day, when i have them all i tend to use the slow cooker or do things like jacket spud, stuff i can leave in the oven or stuff like shephereds pie , lasagne etc that i can prepare in advance.

Louise_Oaktree
08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Get a slow cooker - I have had mine for 5 years and hardly used it - just got a book from library with recipes and am now cooking all sorts of gourmet meals - hubby wonder's whats happened to me :laughing:

zippy
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
i'd go for it, nice age range

singlewiththree
09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm having a 7mth old full time 7.30-5.30 from Oct and will also have a 18mth old and my DD who is 3. I'm like you wondering how and when I am going to prepare the evening meal. I'm considering a slow cooker as has been suggested here and sunday cooking for the freezer sessions.

I'm hoping that they will fit it and become like the family when they are with us that long, my 18mth old is tues-fri and only 8.30-1.30 term time so I will only have two in the afternoons.

haribo
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
i have done for a few families, its great they become part of the family , i wish could get another full timer but only part timers come along now :(

Hebs
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
definatly get a slow cooker, i love mine :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm having a 7mth old full time 7.30-5.30 from Oct and will also have a 18mth old and my DD who is 3. I'm like you wondering how and when I am going to prepare the evening meal. I'm considering a slow cooker as has been suggested here and sunday cooking for the freezer sessions.

I'm hoping that they will fit it and become like the family when they are with us that long, my 18mth old is tues-fri and only 8.30-1.30 term time so I will only have two in the afternoons.

I would def recormend a slow coker, wouldnt be without mine now :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
thanks for reply.. am just wondering how to prepare dinner etc.. I'm thinking it would have to be whilst the LOs are sleeping?everyone always seems to get up to mischief when I leave the room to do anything.. have given up doing early dinners these days as my own 2yo stands screaming at me whilst I'm in kitchen.. its partially for this reason that I'm wondering how that would work with a 10 month old also getting tired from say 4pm onwards..xx??!

You could do the prep in the morning, use a slow cooker or put the youngest in a highchair in the kitchen and have the others help?

pinklady
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I do! Actually she turned 11months today. She's full time 8am-6pm.

I prep a lot of meals while she naps including making sandwiches for lunch. If I have to do anything in the kitchen while she's around I use a playpen so I know she's safe. The playpen is also great in the garden and she loves being out there watching the birds, squirrels and planes.

Go for it!

jeanybeany
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I would def recormend a slow coker, wouldnt be without mine now :thumbsup:

I would take on the lo, you'll soon be in a good routine! I too would get a slow cooker. I've got an electric steamer as well and that's brill. I do veg, fish, pasta etc in mine. Try to get a digital one with a timer on. Just switch it on and walk away!!!!! Can't beat them for that :D

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
It is all about being organised but be aware of your own strengths and weaknesses.

Is it too much to take on too soon (this is based on your recent flurry of threads)

Curly Quavers
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
It will be hard work but how often does work like this come your way??

Def get a slow cooker. Since I started mining mine is on at least 3 times a week.