PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary

mississmoomoo
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I am slowly getting my head round all this so I know I have to complete a daily diary every day - do you give it to the parent after the end of each day? Is it best to let them take it away with them to comment on or there and then?

I also know about the 6 areas of L & D and to observe each area over a week. - does the parent see this at the end of every week? Does anyone do a weekly summary of what they did that week?

There are some great templates on here and I love the Dora one, which I think I will use. I have a child record book (I think the same thing as a learning journal) which contains all about me, special dates, my family, my likes, dislikes etc, - how often do you give the parent the journal to look at? and do they get to keep it when/if their child stops coming?

Sorry for so many questions, Im new to all this as have just done one day so far last week and some things are still a bit hazey.

many thanks,

Caroline:)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2009, 05:32 PM
You don't have to do a diary - I do it verbally and Ofsted said that this was fine. We talk at drop off and pick up.

As to the EYFS I was told by my inspector to get parent participation every 6 months.

avril
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Personal choice whether you do a daily diary ;)

I do as I have a head like a sieve and would forget to say something!!:laughing: And parents can write me notes in the book too for me.

sarah707
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I scribble in the diary through the day.

If parents tell me something I write that in as well ... it's on paper then if there are any misunderstandings later :D

mississmoomoo
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks yet again ladies, your guidance and advice is proving to be invaluable.

I think I will keep a daily diary as my mindee is only 2 and with me for 9 1/2 hours every day so it will be nice for her parents to see what she has been doing through the day:)

SandCastles
08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I use the Dora daily diary from this web site, it goes home with mindee and then parents bring it back the next day signed and with any comments. I have been doing this for 6 months now and so far the system is working.

Daftbat
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I do a daily diary which links in the 6 eareas of learning but i only hand it to parents about once a month for the weekend for them to look at and add comments. If i gave it out every day or week i would spend loads of time chasing them up to bring it back!!!