PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have dreadful neighbours??????? UPDATE

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I have been sent papers from the council today as "someone" has issued a complaint that I have built upon my land without planning permission AND THAT i AM A CHILDMINDER???!!!

What the hell do they think they can complain about me trying to earn an honest living for? Bear in mind I have 2 children of my own and willl be taking on one other so 2 plus 1 equals 3 ... yes?? They have three young children of their own in their home all the time ... should I be putting in a complaint???

As for the "buildinng work" I have made a nice playarea for the children with a climbing frame, summer house (within size and height requirments so no planning needed)and a gardening area.

I also have the papers stating that I am not required to have planning permission to use my home for childminding...

I knew from the start that they would be a problem but didn't expect it so soon (havn't even got a mindee yet!!)

Problem is we live in a barn conversion of 11 families, all v.close, have regular parties, gatherings etc and there is a bad atmosphere which I can do nothing about and really dont deserve. Also worried as the boys grow up that they will be bullied by their children.

I am just waiting for a call from OFSTED next full of false allegations!!

Sorry but I am fuming ...:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :censored:

Ripeberry
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
What an evil lot! :mad: If they don't like it they can move out. Didn't they know that there would be loads of famillies in the area?
Just rise above it, sounds like plain jealousy to me :( How are the other neighbours? Can you speak to them?

mummyroysof3
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
:angry: at them for you, how dare they? at least you already got permission to childmind in your home and surely a summerhouse is just like having a shed? do some people have nothing better to do than complain

charlotte x

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Other neighbours are great, tghey all know of the fact that we are being ignored and think it is pathetic. The bad neighbours are know to be a bit weird and slowely being thought less and less of but that doesn't really help me being made to feel awquard in and around my own home when I see them.

I try to ride above it but I actually have to take action on this (follow up letters etc) taking precious time away from my family and my life!!! That is it ... they are struck off now in my book (I thought they would come round but obviously not!!)

They had the opportunity to buy the land we have purchased but it was an auction and we outbid them so yes ... jelousy
I also think he is jelous becuase he can't get a job himself!!!Don't get me wrong, its not the credit crunch, he is in security but people just don't want him for the job!!! One job he was signed up for, they sent him home again after two days (supposed to be 4 weeks) because they didn't want him!
:laughing:

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 10:51 AM
:angry: at them for you, how dare they? at least you already got permission to childmind in your home and surely a summerhouse is just like having a shed? do some people have nothing better to do than complain

charlotte x

Yes ...It is a glorified shed!!! 9foot by8foot. They also have one in their garden but it is tucked around the corner (I dont have a corner to tuck mine behind)

And no he has nothing better to do because (as my last post) nobody wants him for security work because he is high maintanance and weedy!! (Sorry about resorting to name calling but I am CROSS!!!)

wendywu
08-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Why would the council even consider sending you papers about being a CM. They would not even be bothered about that fact would they ?:eek:

mushpea
08-09-2009, 11:29 AM
yep one side is lovley (i mind their son) and the other side are awful. they accused me and had me arrested for scratching their daughters car, they swear at me and have been very intimidating towards me, they have told a family member of one of the chidren i care for that all she hears all day is children crying in my garden , luckily the parent of the child knows this is not true as her sisters come here and are old enought to speak up and tell them if there was a problem, she reguarly either blocks my car in or parks so close its very awkard to open the back doors to get a child in, theres lots more.
it all started when i first started minding and politley asked her if i could park outside my own house as i minded a disabled child and it would make life easier for me (its on road freefor all parking), i got a load of verbal and she stomped off, we were freinds before and she confided in me that her daughter cant have children so i thnk her problem is thats shes very jealous of alll the children being here.
still i ignore here and get on with my job and like you am waiting for ofsted to knock but then again i would be glad if they did as i could prove i am doing a good job and when ofsted dont up hold the complaint it would be like sticking two fingers up to her!

loocyloo
08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
yep!

one side are great , in fact she is my assistant!:D

the other side, i swear she lies in wait and then verbally abuses any of my parents that park in ,what she considers to be, the way! luckily all my parents and friends know what she is like, and ignore her. but no one does park in her way (apart from a new parent, dad, wheni was expecting mum & had told mum! she had forgotten to pass message on!) ... the last one she had a go at was a delivery van! ... she told him she had to have access to her house/drive at all times ... she didn't then go out for another 2 hours! she isn't disabled in any form, neither is anyone else in her family !!! grrrr !

she even used to be a school dinner lady, but i don't think she likes children!

rickysmiths
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Why would the council even consider sending you papers about being a CM. They would not even be bothered about that fact would they ?:eek:

If the original poster is a Council Tennant herself she should have written to her landlord (them) to seek their permission, as you would if you have a Private Landlord this has nothing to do with requiring Planning Permission or not.

If she isn't but the neighbour is then the Council would be writting on behalf of their tennant. If the neighbour is complaining about potential planning issues then this would also be a council planning dept issue to follow through.

What is not clear though is have the neighbours made the Complaint to Ofsted as well? Otherwise I would not envolve them at this stage because the issuses clearly need to be sorted out with the council first.

Louise_Oaktree
08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
yep!

one side are great , in fact she is my assistant!:D

the other side, i swear she lies in wait and then verbally abuses any of my parents that park in ,what she considers to be, the way! luckily all my parents and friends know what she is like, and ignore her. but no one does park in her way (apart from a new parent, dad, wheni was expecting mum & had told mum! she had forgotten to pass message on!) ... the last one she had a go at was a delivery van! ... she told him she had to have access to her house/drive at all times ... she didn't then go out for another 2 hours! she isn't disabled in any form, neither is anyone else in her family !!! grrrr !

she even used to be a school dinner lady, but i don't think she likes children!

We have this problem with my neighbours - they even think they own some of my front garden/driveway but on my deeds it is mine :angry: I have found the best way to deal with people like them is just be nice as pie - don't let them think that any of it gets to you. I swear my neighbours have split personalities - one minute they are complaining about noise and the next they are buying my son gifts :rolleyes: we have just come to accept them and will do anything to keep the peace as arguing etc just makes things worse.

loocyloo
08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
We have this problem with my neighbours - they even think they own some of my front garden/driveway but on my deeds it is mine :angry: I have found the best way to deal with people like them is just be nice as pie - don't let them think that any of it gets to you. I swear my neighbours have split personalities - one minute they are complaining about noise and the next they are buying my son gifts :rolleyes: we have just come to accept them and will do anything to keep the peace as arguing etc just makes things worse.

i always make sure i smile and wave and say hello when ever and where ever we see them !!!! ;) and when she comes to have a moan, i am always very polite and friendly!

Ripeberry
08-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Gosh, I suppose that I'm lucky. The neighbours on one side are always out all day working and the other side ditto!
My nearest neighbour is 3 doors down and she is always in as she cares for her elderly mum at home.

Twinkle
08-09-2009, 01:57 PM
A few years ago I had horrendous neighbours. I lived in a little street in a little terraced house with a lovely litttle community spirit. And then a family of five moved in next door - mum, dad, 15yr old, 10 yr old and a 5 yr old. Their respective parents paid their 1st months rent and deposit for them because they had been kicked out of their last home. To cut a long story short we had to cope with music played from 7pm to 5am, verbal abuse in the street, fireworks aimed at people's houses, damage to property and cars. I could not open windows or doors because they would throw food in and their language was not what I wanted my mindees to hear, they threw bottles of urine, food, fireworks, wood and anything else they didn't want over the back wall, set fireworks off outside my back door in the early hours just to upset my dogs, screamed abuse at me through the walls (even when the police were in my house!). All of it was alcohol and drug induced. It was sheer torture. Took me 9 months to get them evicted, basically because the law is on their side, and my then partner had a nervous breakdown.

Now I have lovely neighbours :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

emmadines
08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
awww what a horrid lot! chin up!!

my neighbour on one sides a T**T he accused me of steeling a fence panel - like where would i put it?? plus he was putting them up between us so derrrr, anyway he couldnt win the argument so he threatened to murder me, I told him to go poke it - police - nothing they can do till he actually touches me! hummmmmmmmm......

big fence was put up by myself and hubby 2 b

grindal
08-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I had some mad neighbours when I lived in my flat. They shouted and argued all the time and we would lie in bed listening to them throwing things against our adjoining walls when they were arguing. The bloke left in the end but would visit and the fights continued. I got fed up in the end and contacted the leasehold management company of the flats and they sent a letter to the couple - the woman then got the police round to us complaining that DH had been throwing stones at her windows :eek:
Now we have lovely neighbours on one side, but fell out with the couple next door when the guy wanted to pave our shared side access to match the rest of his front drive (which is not quite big enough for him and his wife to both park on). He threw a strop on my drive one morning and told me he was gonna move house cos everybody was horrible to him and it was my fault cos he was gonna pay to pave our shared access to be nice to us.

CherryBlossom
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
They are probably jealous, that the can't offer the same wonderful toys and play area to their own children.
i hate people interfering..whats bad about you being a Child Minder! At least you are making a living. Some people really have nothing better to do!

I have had awful neighbours in the past, they were always so quick to judge my every move when they made constant noise etc themselves.

I hope when I move into my new house the neighbours are ok..there is a family of young children next door...but the other side looks like something off of Britains worst homes. Dirty rubbish filling the garden..looks like it hasnt been touched for years. Really dirty nets up at the windows ( I probably sound sound really stuck up and horrible) but I don't understand why somebody would live like that.
When we went to have a look around the other day, they were playing loud music and they have graffiti all up the back wall of the house. Seems like they have done it.
I saw a man in his maybe early 20's up at the window, and again without wanting to sound judgemental he looked a bit scary!

I am one myself for saying don't judge a book by its cover, but it has made me worry.
I just really hope that they are nice people, and I am proved wrong.

I don't want it to put off potential Parents when they come to visit.

x

uf353432
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
One side my neighbours are detached enough to to be a problem - they keep to themselves and we wave when we see each other. The other side they are attached and pretty much deaf and old, which is perfect - they don't give a hoot about noise (they don't hear much anyway on account that we are not that loud and they are deaf :laughing: ) and they are lovely, really kind - look after our cats if we go away etc.

I pity anyone with dross living near or next door - its a headache I am happy to avoid after a history of my fair share of weirdo numpties and their even weirder families and visitors.

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
If the original poster is a Council Tennant herself she should have written to her landlord (them) to seek their permission, as you would if you have a Private Landlord this has nothing to do with requiring Planning Permission or not.

If she isn't but the neighbour is then the Council would be writting on behalf of their tennant. If the neighbour is complaining about potential planning issues then this would also be a council planning dept issue to follow through.

We all privalty own our own homes in the barn conversion, but I was advised pre-reg to check wether I would need planning permission to mind, I did check but don't need it ...
What is not clear though is have the neighbours made the Complaint to Ofsted as well? Otherwise I would not envolve them at this stage because the issuses clearly need to be sorted out with the council first.

No complaint to OFSTED YET ... I was just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try it!

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice to know I am not alone (well not really as it's not nice to have nasty neighbours) ... anyway an update ...

After spending all day stressing about the whole thing I left it up to my husband to make enquirys as it was hard with my two boys ...
Turns out we may have a problem. As our field (attached directly onto our back garden) is listed for agricultural use we are only able to put agricultural buldings and sheds for garden tools etc on it, we can use it for the children to play on but for gardening etc but not allowed the climbing frame etc ... in our deeds for the field we have permissionfor climbing frame etc but apparently we still need planning will not go through but we are going to try anyway. Otherwise plan B (which we have been told today by the council willNOT need permission will be to move the summerhouse 5 meters towards our house and the climbing frame also 5 meters closer to our house so it is on our actual garden (not a problem because garden is 50meters long) This will actually move the equipment CLOSER to the neighbours garden and cause them more of an obstructed view from it but give us a better one.
The storage shed we can have on the field is now going directly behind their property, it wasn't before so as not to upset them but now we wont see it atall in our view so better for us!!!! Only thing is this is now going to cost us about 1000pounds!:eek: But has to be done, otherwise the whold thing will just be buldozed!

Shocking thing is, the neighbour the other side of them (also has a section of extra field) has also had a letter from the council which states that they have been reported for "taking down their fence" (the fence joining their own garden to their own piece of field) and "putting four paving stones around a tree" . How pathetic ??!!

It really is beyond belief how petty they are being, especially to the other neighbours?:panic: :censored:

uf353432
08-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I would say its karma then Mrs Bradley - they complain and so by following the law of the land you impact them more. If only they had just kept quite - mwhahahahahaha revenge they say is very sweet. Hey reckon 1k is worth every penny to stick it to them :)

Bazza
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Mrs Bradley, there is a lady who has a facebook page in a similar situation to you. She posted that she is selling up an moving house! I think the page is called "save the childminder" so should be easy to find if you wanted to have a look.

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I would say its karma then Mrs Bradley - they complain and so by following the law of the land you impact them more. If only they had just kept quite - mwhahahahahaha revenge they say is very sweet. Hey reckon 1k is worth every penny to stick it to them :)

HAHAHAHA, you have just made me smile for the first time today! THANKYOU!!!:laughing:

candy cat
08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Theres nowt as queer as folk!!! Good Luck and remember what goes around comes around.......couldn't you have a tonne of manure delivered to your neighbour??? joke!!! :laughing: cx

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Mrs Bradley, there is a lady who has a facebook page in a similar situation to you. She posted that she is selling up an moving house! I think the page is called "save the childminder" so should be easy to find if you wanted to have a look.

Just had a look and have joined her cause .... one now close to my heart shall we say!!:laughing:

Stanfield
08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Theres nowt as queer as folk!!! Good Luck and remember what goes around comes around.......couldn't you have a tonne of manure delivered to your neighbour??? joke!!! :laughing: cx

Saying this ... as it is agricultural land, we could have a great big barn put outside their garden and put 200 stinking pigs and chickens in it and they nor the council could do anything about it ... but I cant put up a toddlers climbing frame??!:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM

yep - fraid so Wendy.... a newly registering friend of mine in a small village has just had a 10 month battle with the parish council, borough council and planning permissions about her being a childminder. Neighbour put in a complaint - council restricted her numbers to being allowed 2 children in her home and no more than 6 in total (she has 3 kids of her own and she fosters teens). she also had environmental health round as the neighbour complained about the increased noise levels - he actually complained about a day I was there - with no kids!!!! Ofsted basically told her that the council overrides Ofsted in situations like this.

She has finally won through and the council and planning permission and EH have back down. Through freedom of infomation she has accessed the letters that the neighbour has written - along with photos he had been taking of her garden (with various people in).

ladybug
17-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I have been childminding from my home for a year and a half and in the last 6 months my neighbours have complained to everyone they possibly can!!! NCMA on several occasions, RSPCA (as we have dogs), Environmental health and now they have gone to our local councillor!! They say that as we have a shared driveway that people coming and going is going to wear it out!, they say that the children in my care arrive early hours of the morning, 7.30am is the earliest, and that ALL the FOUR (its actually 2 on some days and others 3!) children i care for EVERYDAY all SCREAM and CRY because they dont want to stay with me (surely their parents would not keep bringing them if they was all like this!) ! I must be a really awful childminder!...........on a serious note this is starting to wear me down can anyone offer any advise........i feel i am being harrased constantly!!

kellywestie
17-02-2010, 11:22 PM
We live on a close of seven houses and one of my neighbours (next door but one) confronted me on the close about 'running a nursery', cars coming onto the close! (they have 3 cars and drive very quickly down the close). He complained to the council that I had 10 children here - I had 5 here that day including my own child, and was talking to another neighbour who has 2 children and her friend who was visiting her with 3 children!!! I wrote back saying I was registered for 6 including my own and had never been over and quoting their reference number from the letter the council I had sent me re planning etc.

He then arrived on my doorstep with his neighbour (who I thought was a friend) threatening me with solicitors, courts etc. I took advice from the NCMA and ignored him. They turned up again and were sent away by my DH with a flea in their ear and we haven't heard anything since (over a year and a half again now) but it doesn't make for a good atmosphere. We totally ignore the neighbour and his family and relations are very strained with the neighbour that he dragged in as I feel very let down by someone who I thought of as if an a friend an acquaintance who I had shared nights out with.

I am now winding down my business (my choice, nothing to do with the situation) but I don't think things will be any different any time soon.

Desi-101
18-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Aww.. my heart goes out to you with your yucky neighbours!! Bless my old neighbour is in her 70's and she loves my kids, even told my teen (nearly 17) to play her music louder!! she gave me a wicked grin when she encouraged my daughter to play music loud, she does'nt though but its nice to have the permission!! she does crank it up for the old lady now and then and looks out her window at her and gets a thumbs up:thumbsup:

It's a small world
18-02-2010, 01:37 PM
go for plan b and obstruct their views then they will have something to complain about.:laughing:

Seriously hope things sort out and they dont cause you anymore trouble..Its awful when people get sooooo picky..

Good luck