PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich fillings help

louised
08-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm now only doing cold lunches and need some help with ideas for sandwich fillings. My mindees are not very adventurous but I would like to introduce them to different sandwich fillings other than ham or cheese. Does anyone have any ideas for interesting fillings that the children might like?

mummyroysof3
08-09-2009, 09:20 AM
id love some ideas too, my own 2 will only have cheese spread but jack has just discovered he likes jam in his:thumbsup: other than that they have crackers with butter on and grated cheese at the side or beans/pasta shapes with toast, wont eat egg, tuna etc :rolleyes:

charlotte x

grindal
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I only do cold lunches but do not make sandwiches as such. I put a plate of meats, cheeses and salad type things out and leave children to choose what they want. The main thing i vary is the type of bread they have with it, pitta, bagels, french stick, sliced bread, homemade bread, wholemeal bread, tortillas, and fresh turkish bread from the deli down the road.

louised
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I only do cold lunches but do not make sandwiches as such. I put a plate of meats, cheeses and salad type things out and leave children to choose what they want. The main thing i vary is the type of bread they have with it, pitta, bagels, french stick, sliced bread, homemade bread, wholemeal bread, tortillas, and fresh turkish bread from the deli down the road.

That sounds like a great idea, do you find the children will try lots of different foods

grindal
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, they try all the different breads! I find my 2 and my mindees aree not very adventorous, but if they see another trying it they will probably do the same. I usually put things I know they like, so carrot sticks, cucumber and some ham and cheese, and then add a few new bits, like olives or some lentil dahl, or salami or egg mayonnaise or something. Its quicker than making sandwiches :clapping: :clapping:

fionamal
08-09-2009, 09:30 AM
All my ones love a variety of fillings so we have:-

Cold meat with cheese
Egg Mayo
Cheese and Cucumber
Tuna with or without sweetcorn
Jam
Fishfingers in a roll :rolleyes:
Bacon Sandwich
Roll and sausage

Tam's Tribe
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi

You can download this free Mission Deli Receipe Booklet as it does have some great ideas for kids (and adults).

Enjoy!

http://www.missiondeli.com/

Lovies
Tam
x

loocyloo
08-09-2009, 11:54 AM
i've got an after schooler who loves peanut butter and grated carrot in a sandwich!

and used to have a LO who liked 'yogurt' sandwiches ( petit filous! )

another afterschool favourite is salami & feta cheese !!!

but saying that, my DS will only eat ham!

also, good old marmite! on its own or with cheese. (my DH likes it with avocado ;) )

Louise_Oaktree
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
What about honey? (Over 1's of course) my little boy used to be so fussy, he will now eat cheese and cheese spread, ham, jam and recently after doing about bees and how they make honey we all tried some and he now asks for it every day! Obviously best in moderation as it is a sugar but good for a change or something different.

Houmous is another one but I have yet to have a child like it :rolleyes:

youarewhatyoueat
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a honey fan but my ds likes it on rice cakes, I don't do lunches anymore I ask for a healthy pack lunch and I supply the snacks, life is much simpler, I have a hard enough time doing lunches for my own 4 children I can't cope with doing the mindees as well.Lol

helenlc
08-09-2009, 01:04 PM

I was a nanny to twin boys and they liked houmous!! I am going to try my 2 mindees with it next week. Will keep you posted!! :laughing:

grindal
08-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Ds1 used to eat hummus when he ate lots of different foods - but he doesn't anymore. DS2 spat it out in disgust when I gave it to him and said Yuk

PixiePetal
08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
What about honey? (Over 1's of course) my little boy used to be so fussy, he will now eat cheese and cheese spread, ham, jam and recently after doing about bees and how they make honey we all tried some and he now asks for it every day! Obviously best in moderation as it is a sugar but good for a change or something different.

My mindees love it. My own kids don't :rolleyes:

I like peanut butter with honey, less claggy (is there such a word as claggy?:) )

tinkerbelle
08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
iv got mindees who have: -
beef spread,
banana,
chocolate spread,
peanut butter,
jam is always a hit,
crisp sandwich is usually asked for (my kids and my fault as its my favourite)
bagels with tuna
or we occassionally have the ready made spreads from tesco coronation chicken etc

mandy moo
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
My mindees love it. My own kids don't :rolleyes:

I like peanut butter with honey, less claggy (is there such a word as claggy?:) )

Ive used it before so there is now..lol

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm now only doing cold lunches and need some help with ideas for sandwich fillings. My mindees are not very adventurous but I would like to introduce them to different sandwich fillings other than ham or cheese. Does anyone have any ideas for interesting fillings that the children might like?

Mine love tuna and mayonnaise and some will have sweetcorn too.

carlen222
08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
my kids love tortillas! something different than giving sandwiches each day. their favourite is with melted cheese (cooked in the microwave) then cut into slices xx