PDA

View Full Version : little lost boy!

sweets
08-09-2009, 08:02 AM
think i am going to have a hard day today. my 3 1/2 year old mindee back (term time only) and his little pal has gone to school! he only ever played with her at home and at toddler groups, so he is going to be lost and a bit hard work. anyone had this before? we are going to a toddler group today but i know he is just going to stand by my chair and not play with the other children.
Him and the child who has started school were such a pair, and played really well together its going to be hard for him.

Any advice on how to get him to play with others?

i'm sure in the long run it will do him good really!

My other mindee who is only 2 is on hols for 2 weeks so its going to be a long fortnight!

mama2three
08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
you may be surprised. my ds and his 'best pal' were like this , but got offered different days to start preschool which i was really worried about at first - but it actually did him a world of good - he learnt to play and interact with other children almost straight away and play in lots of different ways to the 'play habits' the two of them had settled into. if you do find hes hanging around you , then maybe you could join in playing with the kids too! Im regularly found squashed into the den area under the slide at toddlers!

Louise_Oaktree
08-09-2009, 12:46 PM
You could just be worrying for nothing (hopefully!). I have been stressing about something similar all summer, my son is 4 on 28th Sept so misses school this time but ALL of his friends have gone up to Reception and out of 20+ children there are only 6 left + 6 new ones at pre-school. The newbies are all around 2yrs old so I was worried he wouldn't make friends. Yesterday he came out of pre-school and said "I love School", then today he said he has been playing with children x, y and z :clapping:

Looks like I was worried for nothing - hope you are too!

I think at this young age children don't value relationships as much as we think long term - it's more a case of using them to feel comforted and confident at the time. My son hasn't even noticed his favourite teacher has left and even said yesterday "who's Miss _________ ?" :laughing:

sweets
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Well he has been an an absolute dream today! he has talked much more than he usually does, little girl used to do most of the talking! typical.
we went to toddler group where he did cling to me a bit but he also went off to play and spent a long time watching the other boys, hopefully next week he may join in the play off his own back.

When his mum came to pick him up he told her he had had a peace and quiet day! lol.

Think he was a bit henpecked before.:laughing:

mama2three
09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
so glad it went well.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I would say go to toddlers and I have sure he would settle but looks like he did.

I think the 2 weeks with just you will be great for him.