PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions from Inexperienced Minder

grindal
08-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Well, sort of questions. Yesterday I signed up a school drop off. I have filled in the normal NCMA contract and have given a copy of all my policies and have signed concent forms, but a lot of this applies to babies and toddlers rather than a 10 year old young lady! For future reference do I need to do all of this with before school care? Also, I know I do not need to meet EYFS requirements, but should I be doing any planning or observations for her? And would you keep any sort of learning journal? I will only be seeing her for an hour and a half a day and 30 mins will be spent on school run?

Second question - I had a phone call from a lady yesterday who turned up at her childminders for the first time to discover her minder would have been over her numbers. She refused to leave her daughter. Anyway, she has contacted lots of others and is in a bit of a fix. I have said i can do 1 day a week for her, but can I give a very short notice period - say 1 week or does it have to be a month? I feel very sorry for this lady, and want to help her out as much as I can to restore her faith in childminders.

sarah707
08-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Well, sort of questions. Yesterday I signed up a school drop off. I have filled in the normal NCMA contract and have given a copy of all my policies and have signed concent forms, but a lot of this applies to babies and toddlers rather than a 10 year old young lady! For future reference do I need to do all of this with before school care? Also, I know I do not need to meet EYFS requirements, but should I be doing any planning or observations for her? And would you keep any sort of learning journal? I will only be seeing her for an hour and a half a day and 30 mins will be spent on school run?

I have a set of paperwork for older children... you can write something yourself, just take out the nappy bits.

Meet her needs by keeping her busy or letting her relax with a book or playing cards ... whatever she enjoys.

No you don't need to do a learning journey for her.

She might enjoy making a scrap book for herself with photos etc but that's up to the 2 of you.

Second question - I had a phone call from a lady yesterday who turned up at her childminders for the first time to discover her minder would have been over her numbers. She refused to leave her daughter. Anyway, she has contacted lots of others and is in a bit of a fix. I have said i can do 1 day a week for her, but can I give a very short notice period - say 1 week or does it have to be a month? I feel very sorry for this lady, and want to help her out as much as I can to restore her faith in childminders.

The notice period works both ways ... if you say a week you are potentially harming yourself when it comes to her leaving you and no money coming in...

But yes it's up to you how long notice you give. There's nothing in law about it, just recommendations.

I give 2 weeks - 4 is toooooo long if there's been a falling out.

Hth ..... :D

grindal
08-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for that Sarah - I usually give a 2 week notice period, but as she would be splitting her childcare between 2 minders and will continue to look for a minder or nursery who can do all 3 days I would be happy on this occasion for a 1 week notice period. The extra day is a bonus for me :clapping:

rickysmiths
08-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks for that Sarah - I usually give a 2 week notice period, but as she would be splitting her childcare between 2 minders and will continue to look for a minder or nursery who can do all 3 days I would be happy on this occasion for a 1 week notice period. The extra day is a bonus for me :clapping:

What I tend to do is always put a 4 week notice period so that I get plenty of notice of a change :blush: but in this case I would say to the family that if all of you are in agreement you can of course terminate the contract with less notice.

Note to Sarah! I have also done this when there was a break down with a family and I did a letter confirming that we had all agreed after a meeting to terminate the contract with immediate effect. However I was still paid the 4 week notice period.