PDA

View Full Version : charging for petrol??? help!!

zoex
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
ok, so im bk to work as from today, after a nice 8 months off :-)

i have a school age child who's school is 3 miles away from my house. so its to far to walk, i have to drive. so thats 12 miles a day, 60 miles a week.

would you charge for petrol? how much if yes?

thank you

Chatterbox Childcare
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I did 7 miles return to school each day. I worked out the petrol consumption and charged that to the parents and then claimed the journey too, currently .40p per mile. Add a little on as it is bound to of gone up by the end of the financial year. Mine was £1.80 a day so we averaged it at £2.00 per day.

manjay
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
We have always been advised not to charge seperately for petrol as in our area this can take you into the realms of being classed as a taxi:eek: I always incorporate petrol charges into my hourly rate.

rickysmiths
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I charge a higher hourly rate for before and after school children and if I chose to take on a child whose school was that far away I would charge from when I left home not when I pick up the child and that would cover car costs.

I would then of course put the 60 miles per week at 40p per mile in my accounts as an expense. That way I recoup all my costs, in your case £24pw.

The thing with charging for petrol I always feel, is that it is a step too close to being a taxi.

youarewhatyoueat
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I used to charge petrol at 40p per mile but add it to the hourly rate as was told if you charge it as an extra you can be classed as a taxi service and this is different insurance. Not sure if thats correct but someone else may know if thats changed .

Chatterbox Childcare
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I did 7 miles return to school each day. I worked out the petrol consumption and charged that to the parents and then claimed the journey too, currently .40p per mile. Add a little on as it is bound to of gone up by the end of the financial year. Mine was £1.80 a day so we averaged it at £2.00 per day.

Sorry didn't make this clear - the amount was worked out on the miles and I incorporated it into my monthly rate.

zoex
07-09-2009, 06:07 PM
thanks every1.
as this is my 1st chils who is school age i didnt even think about the petrol until today when i took her to school so my fees have been set to £3 an hour! not much is it!
i spoke with the mum and said id need her to pay for the petrol i use. she didnt seem to keen.
out of the £60 a week im earning (s she is my oly chid atm) im paying about £15 in petrol :-(