PDA

View Full Version : OMG OMG OMG PANIC STATIONS AHHHHH

It's a small world
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Well I was just on my way out to work when my mobile rang. Thought it was work saying they didn't need me. It wasn't :(

Anyway it was a woman who wanted to know if I had any vacancies available. (caught totally off guard:eek: :eek: ) Said yes what was she looking for .. Tue/Thur same days as current mindee. Asked if she would like to come rouund for a chat and she said yes ...tomorrow 12pm :eek: :eek: I asked if she had any information about me or had she seen my website and she told me she had just walked past my house and see my vacancies advert in my car window (it worked :clapping: )

Right Panicking. Just got in from work and need to make sure I have everything....

I have my portfolio which consists of :
WHY CHOOSE A CHILDMINDER
ABOUT EYFS
ABOUT ME
HOURS OF BUSINESS
FEES
REGISTRATION FORM EXAMPLE
SAMPLE CONTRACT
SAMPLE INVOICE
SAMPLE RECIEPT
FIRE ESCAPE PLAN
PARENTS QUESTIONNAIRE
DETAILS OF EMERGENCY CHILDMINDER (GOING TO ASK MY FRIEND BUT DETAILS NOT YET CONFIRMED)
INCUBATION PERIODS FOR ILLNESS
A TYPICAL DAY
LIST OF ACTIVITIES
POEM ABOUT CHILD COMING HOME MESSY
PHOTOS (only a few at the moment as most in my mindees obs file)
EXAMPLE OF DIARIES
POTTY TRAINING CERTIFICATES
MEALS
SAMPLE MENU
ALL MY POLICIES
ALL MY PERMISSION FORMS
ABOUT OFSTED
OFSTED REPORT (EMPTY AS NOT HAD ONE YET)
OFSTED COMPLAINT PROCEDURE
CERTIFICATES AND IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS -
Lists courses completed
Ofsted enrolment sessions Cert
First Aid Certificate
NCMA membership Cert
NCMA Public Liability Cert
CRB checks

My Ofsted certificate is on my notice board along with an 'if your child is ill poster /fees reminder / weekly menu/ Self Registration/fire evacuation poster
My display wall currently has our Autumn theme that we started last week. Painted a tree and collected leaves /cut them up and made leaves of different colours.

Downstairs toilet - When to wash your hands/ make sure you flush the toilet & wash hands / washing hands song posters.

Sorry to go on. So if I show my portfolio / have some toys out/ and then give her my card with website on (will have a copy of my fees/hours - should she not have a computer )

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO OR NEED????? So glad I cleaned my house today was going to do some cleaning tomorrow with ds.. Going to busy in the morning i!!!!!!

Sorry to have gone on ....wanted this for so long and don't want to mess it up. I know it may not come off but at least its a practice and I want to make sure I have everything right.:panic: :panic:

Blackhorse
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I just read your post and I personally think for the first meeting you already have way too much.

At initial meeting I only give parents a few things..
they get to see my certificates and insurance stuff
a little (5 pages) Q+A paper with common asked questions...like holidays, illness, opening hours, fees, menu...generic first inquiry stuff really
then they get a list of my policies
a tour round the house (the parts registered for minding)
and then they get told what kind of activities we would be ddoing

if they are interested in the space they come back a second time where they get all the other bits and bobs...

I am somewhat sure they wont be interested in a sample invoice at the first visit..or a messy poem...dont get me wrong they are all fab things...but I find it can be overwhelming for everybody if they get everything at the first meeting...

just my personal taste I guess...

GOOD Luck for tomorrow, I am sure you will do perfectly fine!

Lainey Lou
OMG how efficient are you. I'm sure you have everything covered there, sounds like you will be just fine. I always forget to ask things so if you are anything like me make sure that you just make a note of things that you might want to ask and just be yourself. I am sure you will be absolutely FINE. Good luck honey :) XX

little miss chatterbox
sounds like you're totally organised! Well done you and good luck for the meeting let us know how you get on!

I usually show them where the child will sleep, play and eat etc

but I think you're there and have everything covered! Great that they want the same days as you're currently working too!

xx

Blackhorse
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
also, I wanted to add this which I learned with a few recent visits..
the more I give them at the start (It used to be more but I have cut down)
the more in annoys me if I never hear from them again and the more it costs me in ink and paper...just another thought...

I am not wanting to sound all negative, honestly! Just a few things to consider for your own benefit!

sweets
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Don't bombard parents with paperwork on the first visit as it can be a bit daunting, they come to see YOU, i tell parents a bit about me, give them a rough idea of things we do, i don't show them round all the house, usually just the downstairs on the first visit. offer them a drink and just have a general chat about what hours and days they want. i also try to interact with thier child while they flick through my welcome pack, i give them a shortened version of this to take home (just an A4 sheet) and tell them they will get a full copy if we go ahead.

Good luck i hope it works out for you.

newandlearning
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
hi .. you sound more than ready.. I've got to a stage now where I keep things relaxed during first visit.. I give then a parent handbook with general info in and my folder with activities we've done .. and leave the rest for another time... this makes the visit more relaxed I find .. you can leave the more serious stuff for the next visit..;) .. well done for getting enquiry and good luck!!x:)

Twinkles
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
.....and breath.............

Daddy Day Care
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Take a deep breath, slow down, have a large vodka or 2 and stop panicing.

You will be fine, your more than ready, and im sure you will give a great first impression.

Good Luck all tho you wont need it

Gareth
xx

It's a small world
06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
also, I wanted to add this which I learned with a few recent visits..
the more I give them at the start (It used to be more but I have cut down)
the more in annoys me if I never hear from them again and the more it costs me in ink and paper...just another thought...

I am not wanting to sound all negative, honestly! Just a few things to consider for your own benefit!

Sorry a little confused.I think I haven't explained myself properly..my portfolio is what I keep in my house and just for her to look at and get an idea of what I offer she doesn't take this away with her.. All I am going to give her is My fees/my hours and possibly policies list and permissions list. I have no intention of giving her all my informtion as like you say if she doesn't come back Ive spent alot of money on ink etc. If she decideds to go ahead then I have a breakdown of my portfolio with the main bits/ policies/permisson slips/ menu sample/ about ofsted/ about eyfs etc. Not a lot and they only get that when they sign with me.

It's a small world
06-09-2009, 09:49 PM
ok ok ok ..vote do I show them my portfolio or not. She didn't say if she was bringing child or not ??? I was on my way to work and she had just passed my house and sounded like she was walking somewhere.

So - vote if I show my portfolio or not. YES ..... NO .....
Brief look around downstairs area
Offer a cup of tea and if child comes she can drink and read whilst I interact with mine and her child - get lego out (her child 3)

Answer any questions she may have :

A few general questions from me but will save heavy stuff for later date

Give her copy of fees/ hours/policies ....and business card with website address on..

Brief but short what do you think ??

sweets
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
yep sounds about right. have your portfolio out on the side and just see! if you have time give it to her to flick through. just relax and have a chat with her and LO

It's a small world
06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Ok breathing now:laughing: off to bed as son back to school tomorrow then caome back here and give the once over before lady comes. I suppose at least I don't have a few days to dewll on it :panic: Will keep you posted and thanks for the advice everyone...

misst104
06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I really hope it goes well. I agree that brief and simple for first visit would be best. You sound SOOOOO organised. Well Done you! :thumbsup:

xxx jo

daisyboo1980
07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
good luck :)

Lick'le Oakes
07-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Good luck for today:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
you will be fine...!

have the portfolio there and just say..if you want to read through it...

most parents I have seen really were only interested in meeting me...(for the first time round anyway) and where happy with whatever additional info they got.

I know how panicked I was before my first meeting but it will be fine!
You are very organised, you know your stuff so they cant come up with anything you dont know.
Just be yourself and all will be fine!!

let us know how you got on today!

It's a small world
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Just over an hour to go. Will let you all know how it went as soon as shes gone. Thanks for the good luck wishes...fingers crossed.

Not too nervous now just hope shes nice and gentle. Oncxe Ive got this over wth I will be fine for next enquiry. I think its the not knowing. Although I have one mindee hes my friends lo and so I know her. This is a complete stranger and I think thats what scares me. LIke I say once the first one is over I will become more confident each time. You just don't want to get it wrong first time. But I guess you learn from mistakes.

Keep you posted.

Kx

Bitsy Beans
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Hope it all goes well, good luck :)
Anyway my mindee's mum made an appointment to come and see me and I got the times mixed up :o I got the vac out and was cleaning when she arrived :eek: So given your list you are WAAAAAAAY prepared for this. Just be charming, smiley and enthusiastic about looking after her child and you'll be fine.
I have a new parents booklet that I give to prospective parents but H prints them at work so no cost to us ;)

LeeAnn
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Oh good luck :thumbsup: looking forward to hearing how you got on

Blackhorse
07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
been thinking of you this morning

Hope all went well!
Let us know!

Nicole xx

izzy
07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
sounds like you have more than enough to keep her occupied! well done you. what is your messy poem? i love kid poems :)
love izzy

It's a small world
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I HAVE POSTED ANOTHER THREAD....CALLED

OMG OMG OMG SCARED ...UPDATE

to keep you all up to date on whats going on..

Everything seemed to go well . Hopeully shes coming back this weekend for another visit with her hubby and if all goes well and signs wants to start her dd in 2 weeks... She is training to be a childminder herself but Im guessing its 6mths work for me..experience and hopefully by then I will be a little more established....

wellybelly
07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
What you've organised is fantastic - dont change a thing! I wish I had been that organised.

It's a small world
07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
UPDATE ON THE OUTCOME CAN BE FOUND AT :

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41094

Thank you for your kind words

tanda
07-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Just stay calm you will be ok they want to meet you not all the paperwork. Have it ready by all means. Have a relaxed chat and a coffee get to know each other spend time playing with little one :thumbsup:

It's a small world
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
UPDATE ON THE OUTCOME CAN BE FOUND AT :

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41094

Thank you for your kind words

Been and gone..seems promising..hoping to come back at weekend...see updated thread...