PDA

View Full Version : School drop only EYFS!

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi, I have a new starter in a couple of weeks. She is the younger sister of a mindee I have had for two years. She is starting reception and so will be in EYFS til Aug 31st next year.

The problem is, I will only be taking her to school, and mum normally arrives ten minutes before we leave. She is now going to be the only child I will have to EYFS for, so all the EYFS planning etc will be for her alone. I'm just stuck for ideas!!! Not much I can do in the short space of time I will have her for! We drive to school, so can't even observe her road skills or looking at signs etc etc. Planning will be a complete waste of time!

I know I have to do EYFS for her, but can anyone give me some quick fix ideas on how make her observation folder look like I'm meeting all the areas of EYFS for her!!!!

I will have her three full days a week in holidays, so should I just plan and observe for those and let the term times go? Would Ofsted be okay with that?

I had two in EYFS last year and had them three days a week after school and holidays and only did one ob a month for each of them with one planned activity a month that followed thier interests.

Mmmmmm!:ohdear:

madasahatter
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't bother at all. If you have only got her for 10 to 15 mins every morning you cannot be expected to do the EYFS stuff with her, surely you will be busy ensuring all the children have everything they need for school, getting ready etc. Leave it to school. Ofsted won't expect you to do anything for a child who is with you for such a short time. When I had my inspection last December I had 3 children who were in EYFS and for whom I kept developmental records etc. I also had 1 child in reception who I only had for 30 mins each day, term time only. I collected from school, gave him a snack with all the other children and his mum usually arrived just as they finished. Ofsted agreed that it would be a waste of my time and serve no feasible purpose for me to keep developmental records on him.

I would keep a scrap-book of things you do in the holidays but probably wouldn't bother tying everything in to the eyfs

miss mopple
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
You wont need to do much at all. I had a reception mindee and tbh ofsted werent interested in his stuff and he was here 2hrs a day.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't do anything at all - let the school cover it

sarah707
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
The learning and development goals are only a very small part of the Eyfs as a whole!!

There are 16 principles of the Eyfs (themes and commitments) and each are equally important.

You can show how you meet each of these with the child before you even start to consider the learning and development goals... you can do this through a series of statements which follow the child's routine with you.

Then in the holidays, take photos and make the child a nice learning journey booklet...

I am saying all this because you have said yourself - this is your one child in Eyfs so your one chance to shine! :D

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks, interesting replies!

I already do monthly 'themes' for all the children I look after where I try to cover the different learning areas ibut in a more age appropiate way as I don't have to be too strict because they are all year 1 and above. I also keep individual files for each of them with photos of days out, things they've made and art work etc in and I would have been doing one for her alongside the obs anyway.

I will give Ofsted a call tomorrow, or better still, email them, so I can get a written response. That way, if they do say it will serve no real purpose me doing EYFS on this one, I will have a printed email to show the inspector if and when they ever turn up!

rickysmiths
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't bother. If you do do anything (holidays maybe?) I would just have a small scrap book to put pictures, notes and any observations you make in the short time you have him and on the walk/ride to school.

I personally wouldn't bother ringing Ofsted. It is a couple of hours a day and the school will cover everything anyway.

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
OOh, Sarah!! Just when I thought I could get out of it!!!

I would love to be able to 'shine' but don't see how I can with so little time with this little girl!!! I've just got out all the obs for the two I did last year and put them all together for mums, and looking through them, I am so proud of what they show when you go from beginning to end even though there are only twelve of them for each child! There is no way I can shine as much as I do with those obs! And I can't use them now!! boo hoo!!!

It's just going to be so difficult. Every morning is going to be the same! As some one said above, I am busy getting everyone ready to leave when she will be arriving! Then when in the playground, I am just keeping my eyes on every one at the same time, so no time to 'observe' her alone!

It's going to have to be the holidays, but I can't see how I can plan ahead for her interests and abilities as they will have changed by the time each holiday comes around!!!

Aarrghhhh!!!!

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't bother. If you do do anything (holidays maybe?) I would just have a small scrap book to put pictures, notes and any observations you make in the short time you have him and on the walk/ride to school.

I personally wouldn't bother ringing Ofsted. It is a couple of hours a day and the school will cover everything anyway.

Thanks Ricki, but just to clarify for other people who might have missed it, its not even a couple of hours a day!! Its ten minutes in the morning!

teacake2
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I am in the same situation, the little boy who is starting in reception will be with me for a maximum of 10 mins and some days in the holidays although not until February half-term 2010. The other 2 little ones I look after are both just 12 months old.
I am looking forward to being with these two because the little one who is going to school is physically and mentally delayed (cannot walk,talk etc) so it is going to be a very different way of looking after them because things will be so much easier, not necessarily more fun, because in their own ways they will be able to so much more.
It has been a wonderful learning curve for me though having the other little boy for three years as I have come to appreciate even more that everyones needs are different but as far as possible they are met in the same way.
I am really going to miss having him all day and will be planning something special for him in February when he comes for the holidays.
Teacake2:D :D :D

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow! I have amazed myself! I have just filled in the planning chart I have, but instead of making it for Sept alone, I have made it for Sept and Oct,that way I have included the October half term!

Our theme this month is feelings, so I have included talking to her about how she feels about starting school in PSED, Making friends and not leaving people out at soft play in Physcial Developemnt along with park trips to collect leaves for Autumn theme in Oct. In Problem solving, etc, I have put how many leaves we collect, what colours, bigger smaller etc, In CLL I've put learn to consider other peoples feelings when talking to them, tell people if she is sad or angry so they can help. In Creative Develpment is the good old Autumn picture! And in KUW, I have put learning about hibernation.

Not bad and I can all of that!!! Adding October half term on really helped!!!

I know this is really basic stuff, but considering how little time I will have her, I'm quite proud of it!

Maybe I can shine a little bit after all!