PDA

View Full Version : Health & Safety Risk

Lainey Lou
06-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Earlier this year I converted by conservatory into a playroom (glad I did as haven't got a clue where I would put all the toys!). Anyway, its been great over 'summer' but as it hasn't any heating getting abit concerned abit when it starts getting really cold. It will be a big job to install an 'on the wall out of reach heater' so at this stage I need to think about what else I can do. Any ideas with regard small heaters, are there child safety guards you can buy? The only other solution I can think is to heat it up in the morning before LO's arrive and then just keep heating it during the course of day but make it out of bounds whilst the heater is on or just bring toys into the house from the playroom but the children love playing in there and will just be stood at the door wanting to get in. Any other suggestions? :) xx

FizzysFriends
06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
How about a heater with a fire guard around it?

Or a simple on the wall one? Some of the freestanding ones hook on the wall and you could tack the cable to the wall until you can do something 'prettier'?

sarah707
06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Can you tuck a heater behind some open shelving?

Otherwise mine is an electric heater and on the wall, wired off the lighting circuit.

It is a very gentle heater and the controls are covered so children can't fiddle with them.

hth :D

sweets
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
what about 1 or 2 oil filled radiators, cheap to buy and cheap to run, i have one in my kitchen during the winter as ive no heat in there, i keep it on all day. they can get a bit hot to touch but what i do is have it on hot first thing in the morn before the children come then just have it on low all day to keep the heat up. no need to cover then.

My friend has one in her conservatory and it works well with her DD

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Have you thought about tiling the floor and then you could put under floor heating on and it isn't expensive to run and the tiles hold the heat. You could put it on a timer and it would start to run whilst you are in bed in the morning.

Trouble
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
we have an oil filled radiator with a cover with is on thermostat and we leave the door open to the house all the time so the air circulates and no condensation:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

works a treat:D

Alz
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
....luckily we have a radiator in ours with a table infront, however as I can't let it get too hot (burnt fingers n all) I somtimes have an oil filled heater on medium heat in the lounge and keep the door open (but safety gate shut!) for the heat to get through to the conservatory. So when its really cold both are on, but not too hot!...works for us!
I'm sure you will find a solution that works for you!

Lainey Lou
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all your replies, oil filled rads sound quite popular so will look into it as hadn't thought about that. Dreading the cold weather, our heating in general isn't great so hope the house is warm enough this winter (it was bloomin freezing last year). :( xx

little miss chatterbox
06-09-2009, 08:28 PM
we have a conservatory and have two electric heaters which heat it up really quickly but don't get hot