PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas for multicultural resources

sarah707
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Here is a list of some of my multicultural resources - please add more! I hope it gives you some ideas

Sarahx :)

Animals from around the world featured in books, Lego etc

Birth to 3 matters poster featuring multicultural children’s images

Books and magazines which promote diversity and equal opportunities of professions etc plus world atlases, fiction and non-fiction books, ‘The Skin I’m in’ by Pat Thomas in the reading box

Celebrate various festivals from around the world by talking about the people who will be celebrating, how they dress and what food they will be eating – and we buy, make and are encouraged to try the food

Children’s interests resources eg Dora the Explorer poster and doll, Inuit play materials, Balamory small world houses and people

Colours and clothes theme, during which we look at colourful African dress, clothes worn by Native American Indians, Inuit clothing made from skins etc

Cooking equipment from around the world

Dolls of various colours, sizes, shapes and hairstyles in my doll box

Dressing up items from various cultures incl Indian and Chinese

ELC Happyland people and resources

Food / eating opportunities linked to multicultural festivals

Games incl people matching with multicultural and diverse faces

ICT resources – videos, dvds, tv, computer games eg. Children’s Encyclopedia, Clue finders etc

Jigsaws – many home made and featuring dolls wearing various national costumes

Lego people from different cultures and varying age-ranges

Local community resources eg library, shops, drop-ins and children’s toddler/music sessions and resources from the wider community eg Manchester, to give children a broad knowledge of faiths, festivals, cultures and religions

Mood spoons with various skin colours

Multicultural dietary customs info

‘Multicultural Activities for pre-school children’ - a book I have written with 24 fully planned activities, 2 for each month of the multicultural year

Musical instruments (home made and commercially available) from various cultures eg Rainmaker, Cypriot flute

Notice board surrounded by children’s faces from different cultural groups and with various disabilities

People who help us’ theme incl positive images of males and females in all roles

‘Religions of the World’ – a home-made book for rising 5s

Signs incl welcome, outside play, playroom and toilet, featuring different faces and languages

Small world people from around the world

Songs and rhymes from around the world

Visits to the library and toy library to extend resources

Weather themed activities incl weather through the world

World map on the wall

Pauline
01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Fantastic ideas, thanks Sarah xx

deeb66
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with you Pauline

Fantastic Sarah - great ideas thanks

Dee

nannan
01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with what Pauline and Dee have said, really good ideas, well done

LittleMissSparkles
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Sarah you have been so so busy thank you, you are very much appreciated :)

Spangles
02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Thank you.

Banana
02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks Sarah

xxx

Cammie Doodle
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for those ideas
June:D

angeldelight
03-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Thankyou Sarah

Angel xx

Raggydolls
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks Sarah, this is going to help me so much as im just starting out :-D

Leanne

emmylou
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Sarah, they are some really great ideas.They have helped alot!

emma x:D

manbloke
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I enjoyed reading all that and i made notes. see you soon i hope.

buildingblocks
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Sarah you are a star

thank you so much

love Kate

emler
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Great ideas - thanks Sarah

Emler x

miffy
05-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks Sarah

Some really great ideas and so good of you to share.

Much appreciated

Miffy x

Chell
09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I've just found these dolls:

http://www.naturalnursery.co.uk/index.php?cPath=40_43&osCsid=c8c2e73a668a69112a51b43f14d8dc06

ruby
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
thank you sarah some great ideas:thumbsup:

Cathyand Rachel

Melanie
28-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The book 'Elmer' by David McKee is a fab book to start looking at diversity with little ones.

It's a great starting point for discussions about the differences in how people look and what this means and if looking different is good or bad etc.

You can use this book to support many of areas of the curriculum in your planning with EYFS.

charleyfarley
28-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Great ideas

Thanks for that

Carol xx

Trouble
28-01-2008, 11:26 PM
i think youve more or less covered it :laughing: :laughing:

ajs
28-01-2008, 11:32 PM
i look after an anglo indian child and our library were having a sale of children's books this morning and two of the books i picked up were about living in india and coming from india so i was thrilled
when i showed mum this afternoon she said great you're really going to show ofsted that you've got this multicultural thing covered aren't you.
but i'll have a good look through your ideas sarah as i really want to make sure i have every thing covered

Cheeky Chops
08-02-2008, 10:20 AM
thanks sarah, im going to have a go at making my own mood dolls this weekend!! xxx

sarah707
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
thanks sarah, im going to have a go at making my own mood dolls this weekend!! xxx

Oh have fun!

We do very simple ones on lolly sticks...

If you can, it would be lovely to see the results...! :D

angeldelight
17-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Bumping back up

Angel xx

childminder54
23-07-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks for that..

veronicaxxx

mjw
13-08-2008, 07:58 AM
I always make a point of buying a childs book while on holiday abroad in the native language and all my parents know I do this and have started to get me bits from their holidays. Just been to Kefalonia and got a wonderful 1st 1000 words picture dictionary in greek.
Mary

miffy
13-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I always make a point of buying a childs book while on holiday abroad in the native language and all my parents know I do this and have started to get me bits from their holidays. Just been to Kefalonia and got a wonderful 1st 1000 words picture dictionary in greek.
Mary

That's a brilliant idea - may have to pinch that :D

Miffy xx

Esther1977
18-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Fantastic ideas!!! Thank you!! It's amazing though how many resources i already had without even realising it!!:) :) :)

karensmart4
13-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I had a world map and each time someone went on holiday we put an arrow pointing to the country and we spoke about the culture... while they were away I printed some pictures of children/animals/buildings from that country.... including Britton :) and we talked about it when the child returned.

julie w
13-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Sorry to sound thick, but whats a mood doll please? xx

ja-lula-belli
21-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Great post. Just wanted to have it on my file so I commented x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

mum67
11-08-2014, 07:47 PM
This has been so helpful Sarah. We panic so much about not having anything to cover it and yet we have lots of it already in the house. Lollie sticks are great I was going to use wooden dolly pegs and just put material similar to a countries native dress and draw the faces on.

Melanie I have so many Elmer books that my children have collected over the years and didn't even give it a thought.

I have a wipeable world map that one of my little nephews loves to get out every time he comes and point to countries he has heard about or been to, that's going on one of my doors now.

This site is amazing.