PDA

View Full Version : dressing up?

LeeAnn
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
what do you all have in your dressing up box? I am still building my stock of toys etc and am thinking of starting to add to a dress up box. Especially since the weather is starting to turn so the focus will be moving to inside play.

Just wondering what things you all have? Do you have actual outfits or just random pieces of clothing etc for them to choose what to use it for?

Also where do you get all your things? buy them new? charity shops? car boot sales?

thanks

Monkey1
05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I have a vast range, all the usual ELC ones, a unicorn and pony (from Canada) a lot of sari's from the charity shops and my mum is good at picking up things when she visits my sister in the middle east! I am in the process of making some zulu dancers costumes like the ones we saw at chester zoo!

mushpea
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
too much i cant get the lid on anymore:laughing:

we have a mixtue, we have some outfits, power ranges, indian, kung fu suit, lots of differnt fairy girly type outfits,
then we have bits and peicies like hand bags , feather thingys that go round ya neck, hats, bits of materials etc.

Daddy Day Care
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a school girls uniform in my box :laughing:

PixiePetal
05-09-2009, 03:56 PM
A mixture. Some world costumes and tabards from SBS online sale, charity shop buys - my new local one is looking out for items for me :thumbsup: got a mini sari and top there last week for £4.50 :)

scarves,hats,bags,plastic jewellery,shoes from thailand,cloaks and bits I have made for my kids over the years for school events.

(but no school uniform DDC! Would a sari do for you? :laughing: )

FussyElmo
05-09-2009, 04:00 PM

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Must admit mine is pretty boring. Just got the usual outfits in there. It is next on the list to be updated:)

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 04:02 PM
what do you all have in your dressing up box? I am still building my stock of toys etc and am thinking of starting to add to a dress up box. Especially since the weather is starting to turn so the focus will be moving to inside play. Just wondering what things you all have? Do you have actual outfits or just random pieces of clothing etc for them to choose what to use it for?Also where do you get all your things? buy them new? charity shops? car boot sales?thanks

I have a wide range form shop bought to authentic costumes from NCMA ARM stalls to my darling Dad's hats and my wedding shoes. One of the most played with things is a couple of pieces of material and my mums head squares.

A variety of charity shops and new and car boots.

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I am in the process of making some zulu dancers costumes like the ones we saw at chester zoo!

Oh clever you and when will you be taking orders for these :blush: :blush:

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 04:04 PM

We know we have seen the pictures DDC:eeeek:

Daddy Day Care
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I've not got any dressing up outfits for the CHILDREN yet, wish I had brought some before woolworths closed they had them going so cheap.

Gareth
xx

helenlc
05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
This looks like a good set to get you on the way:

http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/toys-games/indoor-toys/role-play/2/occupationaldressupset/1

For a multicultural one, I got a silky kids top from Asda that was pink with paisley type print on it and then got some pink chiffon from the market. I bought a red indian costume off a friend. I also have my sons old kimono/karate top that my cousin bought him back from Japan when he was little.

LeeAnn
05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
wow! Thank you all so much!

Helen - thats studio set looks like fantastic value!

DDC- well I am glad I am nosy or I would have been a bit "huh??" but as it is I nosed around the thread from last night and saw those saucy pins ;) ;) hope some particular parts of that outfit aren't in your dress up box :laughing: :laughing:

I wrote my first newsletter today (yay!!) and put a little bit on there for the parents saying I was starting a dress up box. I asked if anyone had anything interesting they would like to donate. I reckon I wont get anything but you dont get if you don't ask right?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Try Primark - I got loads of scarves in colours and patterns and these are used to belts, skirts, scarves, capes etc and cheap too

LeeAnn
05-09-2009, 07:25 PM
ooh great thinking! also cheap shoes and slipper socks things might be fun tp add in! :thumbsup: am writing this all down ! :D

Cazz
05-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Oh hello ... Liz has joined us again! :laughing:

Glad you asked this question - I've just got outfits in mine at the moment i.e. fairy and fireman etc but want to add more bits and pieces so I've got lots of ideas from this thread. :thumbsup:

I keep checking our local charity shops but dressing up things don't seem to hang around for long and I'm usually too late. :rolleyes:

CherryBlossom
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
This looks like a good set to get you on the way:

http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/toys-games/indoor-toys/role-play/2/occupationaldressupset/1

For a multicultural one, I got a silky kids top from Asda that was pink with paisley type print on it and then got some pink chiffon from the market. I bought a red indian costume off a friend. I also have my sons old kimono/karate top that my cousin bought him back from Japan when he was little.

That looks really good! Cheap for 5 little outfits..most of the individual outfits i have seen are this price.
Thanks for the link

x

Pudding Girl
06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a hatred for bought outfits (sorry!) although have a few been given me.

My box contains:

a straw hat
a woolly scarf
various bags/handbags/cloth bags
purses
fairy wands
witches hat
chinese silky top and trousers ( primark jammies!!)
indian shalwaar kameez (charity shop)
old lady type hat with a veil thing on it
flat cap (think farmers)
various sarongs/long pieces of material/chiffon
2 x african scarf type things given by a parent
couple of princess type dresses given by parent
doctors stuff
old mobile phones
cheerleading pom poms
tool belt/tools
old shirts of hubbies
wings
police hat
santa suit
couple of hubbies old work ties

I need more "boy" things it's a bit pink atm! time to scour the chazza shops I think.

lovemyprams
06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I have:-

scarves -lots bought in the Next sale.
hats - again in Next sale (£1 each)!
Builders/fireman/policeman helmet and tabards for each.
Nurse and doctor outfit.
Indian boy and girl outfit - bought on hols.
Muslim outfit boy and girl - bought on hols.
Chinese outfit.
handbags and shoes.
fairy costumes.
bridesmaid dress.
Hula costume.
ball gown.
jewellery.
Also have a book showing children of the world so minded children can see a childs national dress.

Im sure there are more but cant think of them at the moment.

I hang them up on a clothes rack bought from Argos. The children can then pick and choose and see them better when they are hung up rather than them being squashed in a box. I do tend to store them away in the Summer months though as we are out and about more.

Lady Haha
06-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a childsize wardrobe in the playroom to accommodate all the dress up outfits we have!!! I have all the usual Disney Princess, fairies, police, fire, vet, doctor, nurse, superman, sporticus, ben 10 etc etc!

I have just started to collect some multi cultural stuff, so far got a chinese lady dress, sari and african outfit. Trouble is the kids don't want to dress up in those ones! They want to be a princess or a superhero! Only getting the multicultural ones for 'show'!!!

I also have a drawer at the bottom of the wardrobe with accessories in it, wands, swords, shoes, bags etc

LeeAnn
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a hatred for bought outfits (sorry!) although have a few been given me.

My box contains:

a straw hat
a woolly scarf
various bags/handbags/cloth bags
purses
fairy wands
witches hat
chinese silky top and trousers ( primark jammies!!)
indian shalwaar kameez (charity shop)
old lady type hat with a veil thing on it
flat cap (think farmers)
various sarongs/long pieces of material/chiffon
2 x african scarf type things given by a parent
couple of princess type dresses given by parent
doctors stuff
old mobile phones
cheerleading pom poms
tool belt/tools
old shirts of hubbies
wings
police hat
santa suit
couple of hubbies old work ties

I need more "boy" things it's a bit pink atm! time to scour the chazza shops I think.

thanks George, funny you should mention about the shop bought ones. Lat year I worked in a Playgroup and when they were inspected by CC they were "marked down" because all of their dress up are tabards and actual outfits rather than individual pieces like what you have above. So this is why I am thinking of doing a mix

I have come across a lovely and very easy tutorial for a no sew tutu. Would anyone like me to share? would be good for dressing up and might work out quite cheap if you can find cheap tulle/netting

PixiePetal
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I have come across a lovely and very easy tutorial for a no sew tutu. Would anyone like me to share? would be good for dressing up and might work out quite cheap if you can find cheap tulle/netting

Yes please from me for the tutu idea. I don't want to spend out too much on ready made stuff.

I, like George, have Primark 'chinese' PJ's - passed on by parent :thumbsup:

Also keep all old mobile phones with no batteries in.

Waistcoats are good, got a couple from charity shops when DS had to be a Victorian at school.

Pudding Girl
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
old sunglasses and prescription glasses with lenses taken out are great.

LeeAnn
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
http://plumtickled.typepad.com/plumtickled/2007/08/tutu-tutorial-t.html

here is a cute link for the tutus. Another I saw said to fold the strips of tulle in half then loop it around the elastic, then pop the 2 "open ends" through the other end , loop part . I know that makes no sense but maybe when you see the pics on the blog it will. If not I will take some pics of me making one to share with you all

x x