PDA

View Full Version : how does it work?

LeeAnn
05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
hi there. one of my mindees is maybe going to start Playgroup in 2 weeks. Parents haven't mentioned to me and we haven't yet discussed me dropping off etc. It isn't a prob as my DD also attends and I will be going anyway.

My question is, this LO is my main income, so I don't want to lose 2.5 hours every morning while she is there. So I am planning on still charging them for this.

I know that if am dropping off and collecting then I will def be charging

But I am a little hazy as to what the case would be if Dad drops her off but I am collecting. In this scenario Dad would be likely to be going straight to work so in case of anyone being called etc by the staff at the playgroup, it would be me. So really I will still be the "stand in parent"

Not sure if it is still ok to charge in this scenario? Also how do I put it to parents in a way that isn;t confusing?

I am also worried they will say they wont bother putting her in yet as they will have to pay £4.50 a session for her to attend as she is only 2.5 YO.

WWYD?

ugh I hate this stuff, it stresses me out having to deal with money and stuff.

Pipsqueak
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I would charge if I was dropping of and collecting only.

IF I was the first port of call from the p/g then I would consider myself 'on call' and perhaps charge a half fee retainer to remain on call.

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with Pipsqueak if they are keeping your contracted hours the same you should charge.

If not then they need to renegotiate their contract but you tell them you will not be available just in case and that if a full time child comes along then you will be giving notice (and I am only half joking)

Chimps Childminding
05-09-2009, 09:51 PM
If I drop off and pick up I charge full. The lo I had at nursery recently, Mum dropped off and I collected, so I charged half!

tulip0803
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I charge full-rate if they want me to drop & collect or they require those hours during school holidays. They are paying for a childcare place not for my time. The place is available and they are choosing not to use it IYSWIM.

bibi571
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I've got a 22 months old that gets picked up on a Thursday Friday from nursery, I only charge from 12 noon till pick up at 5.30pm.

If nursery was off for in-service or a holiday, mum would have to arrange cover from 8 till 12 as she don't ever want to pay anything for me to have her those hours. They're my time, and if i want to fill them i can. If she was a bit more flexible with me then i think i'd off to have the little on at my full day rate; but any time the mention of holidays or money comes up, she's the first to say "I hope i don't have to pay for that". So when it's and in-service day. I always let her know i'm still available for my 'normal' hours. :D

B x :littleangel:

The Juggler
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
if you need to fill a full-time space then I would still charge or half fee for those hours (if dad is dropping off). Explain to them they will need you when Playgroup is shut/holidays etc if they want the space then they will need to pay for it year round.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2009, 07:55 AM
if you need to fill a full-time space then I would still charge or half fee for those hours (if dad is dropping off). Explain to them they will need you when Playgroup is shut/holidays etc if they want the space then they will need to pay for it year round.

I agree and if they don't want to pay the £4.50 you will still have the mindee and get paid

LeeAnn
06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
thanks everyone. My worry is that the £4.50 is just above half of what I would charge for the morning so I am thnking maybe the parents will put her in every morning instead of to me.

Guess I will just have to chat to parents this week about it ans see what they think.

I will say that if I am dropping off and collecting then I will be charging for the time too as 2.5 hours is never going to get filled in the morning. I will also say that if Dad is dropping off but I am first contact then they will need to pay me a little (maybe £5) as I can't fill the space in case she isnt settled and I will then go over my numbers.

The prob is the way Dad's work is, I have to be super flexible as he only finds out the noght before, what he is going ot be working. We have a contract for minimum hours then he just pays for any extra hours above this amount. Not a great way to work but if I said no then they would have gone elswhere and I would have had no mindee ;)

they have also been a bit bad at paying the last couple of weeks so I am wary of them trying to get one over on me if you know what I mean ;)

Chatterbox Childcare
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
If dad is paying you for the morning you are the contact but if dad is not paying you them until you collect at your contracted time dad is the first contact

You sounds as though you don't want to upset them because you cannot afford to lose them altogether. You need to decide on what you do and don't want or this will come over when talking the parent. Remember this is your business on your terms.

miffy
06-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I charge full-rate if they want me to drop & collect or they require those hours during school holidays. They are paying for a childcare place not for my time. The place is available and they are choosing not to use it IYSWIM.

I do the same.

If you're not careful it isn't worthwhile financially as you're keeping a full-time space for only part-time pay.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx