PDA

View Full Version : Getting called "MUM!"

amirose
05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I have 2 mindees, 23 and 17 months and they both call me mum, I am not a mum myself so its not as though there is another little one around calling me mum!!!

The 23 month old only does it when she forgets herself and her communication skills are excellent so I explain "No, I am Ami. Whats my name?" and she will say "Ami"

but the 17 month old has no communication skills and doesn't understand when I explain - he has basically learnt shouting "mum" gets the adult looking after hims attention so anyone looking after him is mum - simple :laughing:
Oohhh maybe I should just ignore him? Though that's the one of the very few words he says so how else can he get my attention short of being able to teach him my name (no luck yet! - can't even get him to say Ta!)

Yesterday my older mindees were in stitches because they were in the front room eating lunch and I was in the kitchen and they were both shouting (loudly) "mum!"

Luckily the real mums are very understanding and not hurt about it or anything!!!

Oh and neither of them say mummy they both say mum!

Gizmo
05-09-2009, 10:51 AM
My mindee keeps calling me mum as well and she is nearly 3, I think its cos my dd shouts it all he time I keep telling her its Joy but then I get mum again, dd has started calling me Joy now :laughing:

madasahatter
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
My 18 month old mindee has just started calling me mama. I wouldn't worry about it, it is very common for young children to call all women mum/mummy/mama and all men dad/daddy/dada for a while. As long as parents are made aware that it is a phase and that the child will start calling you by the right name as their vocabulary increases.
I must admit that once my son went to school I was called mum less often. Mindees now grow up with all the others calling me by my name.

Blackhorse
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
my 3 yr old mindee is calling me mum too...
and she hasnt heard it from my dd as she isnt really talking yet...

but mum says that is just what she does and is fine with it.

Mollymop
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
My little 24 month old still calls me mummy!! I think it's cos she hears my children call me it. A mindee who left a few days ago called me mum all the time, then "mummy, sandra" - i didn't mind that so much.

I am scared the 24mth old mum is gonna hear her say it one day - cos it just doesn't sink in, that I am not called mummy!!

westbrom44
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM
A child I mind has always called me by my christian name, but has just started calling me mum. It is because my own children have been at home and she is copying them.
I keep reminding the child that I am not mum.
I think that as soon as my own children return to school she will call me by my christian name again.

miffy
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
At least neither of their mums mind so don't worry about it!

Miffy xx