PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP ... not sure where I stand legally ...

Stanfield
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello,

I have had an enquiry about looking after a three year old for one day only, as a one off.
The man has left an awnser phone message but it sounds as though he is in the area on business and needs care from 12pm till5pm. He is prepared to travel to me which will take about 50mins, so he must be desperate (it's for this tuesday).

Anyway, I am still on maternity leave and therefore donot currently have any public liability insurance ... where does this leave me? Can he sign a disclaimer to say this is ok as it is a one off? If I were to go to him would I have to have insurance then?

It will not affect my maternity leave because I can have 10 days at work before I have to claim I am working as "keep in touch days".

Help!!!!:panic:

Pipsqueak
04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think i would risk having the child with no insurance tbh.

Are you absolutely sure this is a genuine enquiry?

FizzysFriends
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Thats what I was going to say, on both counts.

her8y
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

EXACTLY what I was going to say. Something doesnt sound right to me but hten I am a cynic

katickles
04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't do this at all.

I'm sorry but this man will have never met you & yet he would be prepaired to leave his child with you??

And - I would never work without insurance:panic:

Stanfield
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Good Call!!!!
I was hoping to have a bit of sense knocked into me because my husband is just seeing pound signs as the man has offered to pay quite a bit, and husband thinks I should, I thought otherwise ...

Not meaning to sound dense but why would it not be genuine? Do people make enquirys up for fun??!:panic:

Pipsqueak
04-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Personally I think there is something strange about being ok with a journey time of 50 minutes and leaving your child with someone you've not met before. I know people need adhoc emergency care and the first meeting can be when you start minding.
If he is in the area on business- why has he got his child with him - why not arrange childcare with someone where he lives?
No something not right about that. It might be worth alerting your CDO or FIS and seeing if there is a scam going round.

yes - I think there are cases of people 'checking out minders' perhaps to have a look at the house or they realise most minders are lone women in the house. I don't want to scare you but I think it wise to exercise caution. If he is genuine or you want to give him the benefit of the doubt - ring him back, ask where he lives, see if you can get a landline number and check out to see if his name tallies with the address, where and who does he work for, why has he got his child with him etc. Is he in the area earlier than Tuesday - could he come an visit you when your husband is there?

Stanfield
04-09-2009, 09:14 PM
OH DEAR!!! Sounds scary to me!!!!
Well I am going to phone him tomorrow anyway out of courtousy incase it is genuine but I am going to decline. Maybe I need to stop thinking the world is a wonderful place where knowone would do harm! I have been bought up in a very sheltered town!:blush:

Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
The world is a wonderful place and this enquiry could be genuine - i would ask him a few questions to be honest to see what kind of feel you get for it.
Where and how did he get your number, if he is going to be 50 minutes away.
Why has he got the child with him, how old is the child and make a discussion of the child like health, allergies, likes and dislikes, routine etc, if he seems hesitant about these sorts of things then i would be wary. if he was to say for instance the child is 5 then why is that child not in school?

you could always call back tomorrow to decline.

wellybelly
04-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Not worth the risk - a childminder locally got in so much trouble with Ofsted for not having PLI.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
05-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I have had a similar call & email and it turned out to be a scam. I had already been warned about it so didnt do it but apparently they send you a cheque for far more money than the owe you and ask you to send a cheque back for the remainding about.

Meanwhile thier cheque bounces whilst yours clears

He could be genuine but if he starts talking about sending cheques then you know its a scam

breezy
05-09-2009, 06:13 PM
sounds really dodgy, not worth the risk. Let us know how it goes

Stanfield
05-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Well I phoned him today to let him know I wouldn't be doing it, just incase it was genuine. But then he hardly let me speak ( I wanted to probe him a bit more out of curiousity) he asked where I lived, when I told him he said, he knew the area, it was too far away and thankyou for the offer but no thanks!!!!?:huh:
I jjust agreed and said, oh well nevermind, Bye.
All a bit odd! I have the area I live on all my advertising so wonder where he found my number ... He didnot give me the chance to ask!

Nevermind ... I have a genuine lady coming to visit for a proper place a week today, so I am happy with that!:clapping:

miffy
05-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Something very odd about that enquiry - pleased you're not getting involved.

Good luck with the one next week.

Miffy xx