PDA

View Full Version : Queries from a newbie !

Mel09
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Everyone, hope you are all well,

Well I had my first week of child minding this week. It was only Thurs and Fri and went very well, phew. My son is 13 months and my mindee is 9 months so I found it quite hard working out how to get them both to bed ie who do I leave downstairs (in the end I put the 9 month in the cot, then came back for my son and got him ready for bed, put him to bed then went back and did milk etc.. for the 9 month) also things like getting into the pram and out of it at my friends house etc..... was a bit stressful but am getting there. I am finding that my son is getting a bit clingy, but I expected this, I am hoping that he will get use to the other children, did you all find this at first too ? I have also been soooo nervous about my mindees getting scrapes etc... if they are playing and fall etc.... but I know this is just because I am new etc.... and will relax once I have been doing it a while.

Did you also feel like you were not spending as much time with your own little one at first ? Because my mindee is so young and my first I do find I am sitting with her and my son just plays around us, I feel really guilty then but at the end of the day I am at home with him and I am sure I will get to know what my mindee can and can't do and will be able to relax more soon.

Just wanted some reassurance that others feel nervous etc.... at first !

venus89
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I still feel like I'm not spending enough time with my kids! But they (at 6 and 8 years) love my job and I do spend more tiem with them - a lot more - than if I worked out of the home.
I have 2 new ones starting next week, who both had trying out periods this week,and tbh I am also thinking very hard about who to settle down when and where. I think it's a trial and error thing and as long as you remain calm and do your best you will work out the best way for everyone. It can be stressful but I've found for me that the reality is a lot less stressful than the worry about it beforehand!

Today I had my older new one for the morning then I had a heck of an afternoon with an older one. The 14 month old spent his entore day playing either on his own or with my kids and although I feel I've negleted him he actually had a lovely day and spent half of it in fits of giggles.

Enjoy minding xx

Mel09
04-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks ! It has gone well as they (my son and the mindee) both went to sleep well am and pm, like you say the stress is more than the reality !!

venus89
04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Well done! Did the sleep at the same time?

Mel09
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes thankfully, her mum has been getting her up early for work so it ties in with my son's sleep as well. So it has gone ok. I just find it difficult moving them around as my son isn't walking so I have to work out how to do it, it has worked out so far though so we'll get there ! Once I have had her a few more times I will get to know her better so will have a better idea of what she might do ie rolling over, crawling etc.... it is exciting and nerve wracking hee hee !!

Lainey Lou
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Hiya mel, I know what you mean, I am fairly new to cm and you do worry about things but like it has already been said the reality isn't as bad as you think its going to be. Yes the scrapes/falls is one of my worries, one of my mindees fell a couple of weeks ago and got a right bump, I literally looked away for 2 seconds to check on the others and she was on the floor!! She was fine and it looked worse than it was, but I was really upset, even though I know I was doing a good job I still felt as though the parents might doubt me! I suppose us newbies are on a learning curve and you just have to get on with it and do what you feel is best. Glad I came across this forum though as its so helpful. :) XX

Mel09
05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks and yes this forum is great ! :) x