PDA

View Full Version : snacks for after school???

stephanie2002
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi, everyone

Have my first mindees coming tomorrow for breakfast!!!! Not to worried about that, but, after school.. they will all be starving but are going home for tea. Any ideas for snacks, healthy and just filling enough but not to much before teatime. I'd have cake but thats not healthy eating!!:blush: thanks.

sweets
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
toasted teacakes, crumpets, pikelets, malt loaf, fruit,yogurt and a biscuit, nothing wrong with a piece of cake couple times a week!. lol

nannymcflea
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
toast,cereal bars,cereal,cakes,biscuits,fruit,breadsticks,rice cakes.

Have fun:D

fionamal
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I always do some fruit with either crackers and cheese, pancakes, scone, cookie or cakes if we have made some.

We have ours at 4pm once we are back from the school run and thatway it doesnt interfere with their dinners.

stephanie2002
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
thanks all,
it all seems so simple when the questions is answered, I hadn't even thought of teacakes...great idea. One is allergic to nuts and it really threw me!

mushpea
04-09-2009, 05:57 AM
most nights mine have a choice of either a peice of fruit or 2 breadsticks as they eat tea here then a couple of times a week they get home baking either cake or biccys.

miss mopple
04-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Mine have either fruit, breadsticks and cheese or something from my goodie box (well stocked with cereal bars, flavoured raisins, humzingers, fruit flakes etc)

The Juggler
04-09-2009, 06:41 AM
we have fruit only or an ice pop on a hot day. I cook their tea and don't want them not eating it!

louised
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
mine all get a slice of toast, everyone gets the same then there are no arguments.

samgeordie
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I gave then cheese on toast yesterday which went down well, fruit/fruit kebabs make it fun, popcorn, crumpets, pancakes, cereal bars, odd cake or biscuits, carrot sticks and houmous.

Mollymop
04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't like to give them too much as they are all going home to eat their tea and it would spoil it. So i offer them a biscuit, a piece of fruit, etc.

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Cake can be healthy you can make ordinary cakes with half the amount of sugar and it doesn't take away from the taste. Make carrot and courgette muffins that must be healthy

Rubybubbles
05-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I always do some fruit with either crackers and cheese, pancakes, scone, cookie or cakes if we have made some.

We have ours at 4pm once we are back from the school run and thatway it doesnt interfere with their dinners.

same here!

I also do a weekly menu snack plan with them, so they give me ideas (from a list they are allowed heehee)

Also though friday is chocolate Friday:clapping: so they have a miniroll or mini choccie! along with their fruit! BUT it has to be earned;) good walking all week, adhering to house rules ect ect:thumbsup:

madasahatter
05-09-2009, 05:07 PM
All my mindees go home for tea, but don't eat until around 6ish which is a long time from lunch. Consequently at 3.30 (after school run) I serve a plate of assorted cut up fruit, followed by something from the following - toast, jam butty, homemade cakes, crackers and cheese, malt loaf, crumpets etc

jaja
05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
hi i used to do these options, beans on 1 toast, spaggetti on 1 toast, cheese toasties, sugar free jelly, fruit, yohurts, and then lots not forget chocolate ( not everyday though) we used to have snack time as soon as we got back form the school run around 4 pm and most got collected at aroung 530 to 6.... The kids decided what they wanted from two options.....

Ask the kids to devise a snack menu and draw the foods which they like, then see what happens then, maybe if the kids are interested make it a kind of theme, healthy eating ect..... could last a session or a few weeks dependent on the children that you have......

bibi571
05-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Mostly we have fruit but mine can be fussy and like to take part in preparing it: they like all sorts- strawberries, melon, satsumas, grapes, kiwi, apple.

Lots of times its just an apple or satsuma, but if they're starving it's toast too! Cheese and crackers. Carrot sticks and pea pods are a favourite. Cherrios and raisins. Cherrry tomatoes. Love grapes and bits of apple. Pears and plum.

Very occassionally cerial bars and on a Friday they get mini cheddars and a juice drink as a treat!

Barbara x :littleangel:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Mine have tea at 4.45 so they have a biscuit, piece of fruit or yoghurt when they come in.

The freezer is stocked well with icy poles too and they love them.

miffy
05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Fruit, cheese and biscuits, bread sticks, toast, fruit loaf, veg sticks or yoghurt should keep them going until tea time.

Miffy xx

peanuts
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
my lot are into toast after school at the moment, can go through 1 - loafs each day with them

Louise_Oaktree
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
My after school children have sandwich and fruit as they don't leave here until 6pm. I used to do a cooked tea but not making 4 different meals for fussy children :panic: so they get sandwich of their chosen filling :D sometimes they have a yogurt too and a cake but that's if they eat their fruit :)

flora
07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Soudns like we all do very similar things, my lot can choose most things on most days.

Mondays and fridays are junk as well days so on these days they can choose mini rolls. cake, crisps AS WELL as all the healthy options that are available.

We have snack as soon as we get in and tea is at 5pm.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

stephanie2002
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Thank you everyone,

All of you have been very helpful, It is great to have found this site with all its wonderful information! Its helped me loads...:D