PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

Sarpix
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

Do you think a child is ready to be potty trained if they don't tell you they need a wee or poo after 3 weeks of constant trying and if when they do wee or poo themselves they don't seem to notice that they've done it???

Does anyone have any info or any helpful sites on potty training that I could maybe print ou for the mum?

Thanks for any help.

Sarah x:thumbsup:

mandy moo
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry didnt want to read and run, will just bump it up, someone will be along soon Im sure

Lainey Lou
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Hiya, I don't think they are ready at all, they need to understand the feeling of feeling wet or dry before there is any point of even trying to potty train. Once they start telling you they have done poop (like my LO is doing now) you can start trying to sit them on the potty etc but if they still don't get it after a couple of weeks, try again another time. Thats what I am doing now leaving it a few weeks. Unsure of what websites to look at though, have you tried the babycentre? :) xx

daisyboo1980
03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
hi
im currently potty training my nephew im looking after him while waiting on becoming reg, he has his weeing down but is not good on the poo's, so we a reward chart and he gets his fireman sam stickers if he does his poo's in the potty which goes everywhere with us and if he gets all his stickers he get a surprise. he is 2 but its important that the mum is doing the same as u at home or they will get confused.

misst104
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Hiya, I don't think they are ready at all, they need to understand the feeling of feeling wet or dry before there is any point of even trying to potty train. Once they start telling you they have done poop (like my LO is doing now) you can start trying to sit them on the potty etc but if they still don't get it after a couple of weeks, try again another time. Thats what I am doing now leaving it a few weeks. Unsure of what websites to look at though, have you tried the babycentre? :) xx

I totally agree. Doesn't sound like the lo is ready at all yet. My ds2 is 2 years 6 months and is nowhere near ready yet. MIL was saying this morning "Is he STILL in nappies!" :mad: :mad: :mad:

xxx jo

sarah707
03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I am looking after a little boy who is being taken to the toilet every hour by his mum as she is worried he's not toilet trained at 3.

He is doing the same things you describe ... he's only with me 2 hours a week so I can't make a difference, but you can if you look after the child for longer.

There's a big thing at the moment about teachers having to learn to change nappies so later training is clearly happening :laughing: