PDA

View Full Version : Help needed of where to sleep toddlers

Poppy_4444
03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I am looking after twin boys that are now 18 months old who will only sleep in the pushchair or car. I carry sleeping babies out of the car and place them on the sofa, because it I put them in the travel cots they always wake and scream and will not sleep in them. I tried very hard to get them to sleep in the travel cots, but just couldn't especially with two! I just couldn't stand over them with my hand on their backs when I needed to be caring for the other.

I am worried that Ofsted will not be happy and they should be sleeping on their own individual sheets etc.

The mother sleeps with both twins in her bed and they fall asleep with her in the bed, so I feel I am on a losing battle to get them to fall asleep alone.
Please could any one tell me if they have get a solution that will meet ofsted's standards.

~Chelle~
03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Put them to sleep in a puschair, if they are happy to sleep there.

When I had my ispection the LO I look after was asleep in the pram and she said this was fine and that he was better protected than if he was asleep on the sofa.

HTH

amanda1309
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I mind 2 year old twins and they have always slept in a pushchair (that lies flat) because they could not settle if parted. Worked well for me. At my last OFSTED I was putting a 6month old lo to sleep in pushchair in hall and nothing was said.

sarah32
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
What about a mat on the floor with a blanket, at least they wont roll of the settee and they can sleep together.:)

mandy moo
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Sorry have no experiance with twins, but would it be a big no no to put them to sleep together in a cot?
Until they understand a cot each would be more comfortable?

The LO I mind would only sleep in his buggy outside, but I wasnt comfortable with that idea (dont know why as my own kids slept outside!) so with mums permission put him in the travel cot, we had a few tears to begin with, but I persevered, and now he rattles the stair gate and cant get upstairs quick enough..lol
but like I say thats just 1 child to settle, not two:o

Louise_Oaktree
03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I just wanted to say travel cots have NEVER worked for any of my mindees and they take up so much room! Even my very sleepy baby (he slept for hours lol) would wake screaming as he just felt insecure.

I use buggies now and each child has their own fleecy blanket or cellular blanket and this way I can put one at each end of the room so if one wakes first they don't wake the other. At first I would rock them to sleep but my 18 mth old will happily fall asleep on his own in it now (even though he sleeps in Mum's bed) but I have to leave the TV on :rolleyes: My new one is 12 months and I have to rock him to sleep in the buggy but it usually takes less than 10 mins and I don't mind doing this.

I have a different pram for each child - if this is a prob you could always ask parents to bring their own. I have also used the bottom of a footmuff to protect the pram - you could always change this between children (Ofsted are funny about individual bedding).

I think with some perseverance it will get easier but do whatever works for you and then deal with what you will say to Ofsted when the time comes! As long as you tell them what you have tried and what hasn't worked for you they will be fine. Sleeping on sofa's is fine as far as I know as long as you are there to watch them. I would provide a blanket for each so Ofsted realise you have thought about hygiene.

Poppy_4444
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It is nice to know some Ofsted inspectors don't mind them sleeping in their pushchair. The reason I was worried was a childminder told me the inspector asked if she had parents permission to restrain the child because he was asleep in a pushchair and off course clipped in. It sounds like the usual randon remark that scares us all. I will just keep putting them to sleep in their double pushchair where they are happy.

sarah707
03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
I do allow them to sleep in buggies, but only with written parental permission.

It is something that has been asked by an inspector in the past and I was happy to show her my permission sheet :D