PDA

View Full Version : kune kune pigs

kingdom
03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi all, i must be totally barking mad but i have two pigs arriving at my mad house in a week or so. I have kept pigs before so am really looking forward to having them again. These are brother and sister, male is castrated, and came originally from a local childrens farm attraction where all the piglets come into the crowd to be stroked, so well used to children. I think it will be lovely for my mindees to be able to watch them shuffling around, has anyone else got pigs?

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
wow how lucky are you, i wish i had the room for pigs :( my husband wants chcikens but our garden is to small. We do have two very freindly rabbits though :laughing:

wendywu
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I have one pig but he is at work at the moment:laughing:

kingdom
03-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Of course nothing in this childminding mallarky is easy tho is it, the pigs will be kept in a part of the garden that isnt registered, so i will have to arrange for that to be sorted if the children are to go up to the fence to see them.

Twinkle
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I have one pig but he is at work at the moment:laughing:

LOL! I divorced mine! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

wendywu
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Sound idea, must put it on the to do list :laughing:

Dom's Mam
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh bless, how lovely. We have chickens at our allotment and the mindees love going to feed them and collect the eggs each day. Sometimes they do a bit of weeding or watering, and both the mindees who wouldn't eat eggs before will eat them now from the happy hens ( who they named). My Step daughter runs a pig farm and I always want to bring the runts home with me.. thank goodness for OH and his voice of reason.
Enjoy the pigs, they are fantastic animals:excited:

little miss chatterbox
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Oh wow how fab!!!
I wouldn't keep them because I wouldn't know where to start (plus I have a teeny garden) but I do love them

It reminded me of a quote from my 5yr old DD today. We paid a visit to colchester zoo and saw a pig feeding her piglet and my gorgeous daughter very innocently said "mummy how many piglets did she lay at a time?" I had to have a conversation with her that pigs don't lay eggs like chickens/birds etc and they are born....thankfully we had a diversion in conversation before I had to explain the whole baby thing to her!

flora
03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
We have pigs, but on a commercial scale.

We can't have pet pigs cos of the risk of cross contamination :(

Enjoy your pigs :clapping:

Twinkles
03-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I have teenagers , does that count ??

mushpea
04-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Oh wow how fab!!!
I wouldn't keep them because I wouldn't know where to start (plus I have a teeny garden) but I do love them

It reminded me of a quote from my 5yr old DD today. We paid a visit to colchester zoo and saw a pig feeding her piglet and my gorgeous daughter very innocently said "mummy how many piglets did she lay at a time?" I had to have a conversation with her that pigs don't lay eggs like chickens/birds etc and they are born....thankfully we had a diversion in conversation before I had to explain the whole baby thing to her!

:laughing:
had this with a 5yrold mindee yesterday, we are getting a kitten and i took them all to see it , on the way home he also asked 'do lady cats lay kittens', so we had a similar conversation luckily though it didnt go anyfurther than that.