PDA

View Full Version : Unsure of how to let a parent down! Help me please!

OoopsyDaisy
03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Morning all,

Just a quickie :blush: although it probably sounds like a dumb question but I am not sure of how best to handle it.

I have two parents (one of which is my neighbour) both with the same amount of LO's who require my services! Hurrah! But the thing is one of the parents came to see me last week and seemed pretty happy but last week said that she would like to bring her husband round on Tuesday 8th Sept to have a look too as they are now on their hols.

I am going to see my neighbour today for her to possibly sign the contracts, as she asked me about this ages ago but has been in hospital, we have both been in and out of conversations about stuff so it only seems the way to go from here.

Now my question is, if and its a big if, my neighbour wishes to sign, what do I do about the other parent? How do I let her know? There is no way possible that I can have all of her LO's and my neighbours LO's. But of course I don't want to offend, I don't want to let someone down either! But I did tell this parent about my situation so she is aware of my neighbour.

Anyway, I just wanted a polite way to let her down I suppose,when its your own business and you have a reputation you are building you need to come across in the right way and as this is my first of this kind, I am unsure of how to do it! Thanks guys. x Amy x

Mollymop
03-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi, I think I remember you posting about this before. Or have I gotten you mixed up with someone else? Were they the parents that didn't come back to pay you a deposit

If they havent' signed and paid a deposit then you are not required to hold the space open for them.

I would ring them and say that I have had another enquiry that is more hours and will suit me better so I won't be able to sign your children up. Sorry about this. I have phone numbers of other childminders that might be able to help you if you require.

I am sure they won't be too put out, at the end of the day they should have signed and paid a deposit to keep their space.

Good luck

OoopsyDaisy
03-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey, thanks for this, no didn't write about a deposit but did write about the parent letting me down on initial visit then turning up unannounced! :mad:

Anyways, thanks for advice! You are right but I just feel nervous about letting someone down! I need to get a grip methinks! Thanks.

Amy x

Pipsqueak
03-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Its nice to be in demand isn't it!
If parent 1 signs then you just give the other parent a call and say thanks for their interest but the space has now been filled - perhaps have a couple of other names that you can give to the parent (childminders you perhaps know and would recommend).

Good luck

Lainey Lou
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Hiya, at least you have let other parent knows about your situ with the neighbour, so they know you could potentially not be able to do it anyway.
Its hard though I know, I've not been cm that long and I need to spk to one of my parents about fees as think they are taking advantage of my easy going nature! I've been stung big time this week on fees and I know I need to be more business focussed where fees are concerned rather than just being a soft touch!

Good luck I am sure the parents will be fine xx

LittleMissSparkles
03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I would call them if your neighbour sign and say Im sorry the places available have now been filled, someone came ato see you and signed there and then and paid a deposit, if they wanted you they should have done it before now themselves, dont worry about it xxx