PDA

View Full Version : Things to do with a 12 year old

Clever Clogs
25-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi again

As I'm expecting registration this week have two lined up for next week so in need of some ideas. I've a 12 year old girl and 6 year old boy (along with my 6 year old girl). Not sure what the best way to go about entertaining them is. I've known them for years (boy has grown up with my girl) so they are used to coming in and out of my house, playing in daughter's room etc. When I mind them I know it'll be all change, one of them being they need to stay downstairs. Should I have things ready for them to do when they come in for school or let them decide themselves? I've got all these great ideas for pre-schoolers but not for older. Was thinking of trying to involve them in making house rules etc (even though I have them) so they realise things will change a bit from just looked after for a couple of hours as their mum's friend. Hope this makes sense. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Tracey

Mollymop
25-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Tracey, i look after my 11 year old niece and 13 year old nephew after school and in the holidays. When they get in from school they can do their homework, have a snack, go and play out side. I let them do whatever they want to be truthful. They like to play the playstation and they both like doing arty things. But if their mum wants homework done, etc, that is done before and playing.

deeb66
25-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Tracey

I would definately involve them in making up a new set of House Rules....I do this everytime a new child adds to the setting as this helps them understand what the rules are and helps them to stick to them.

When I looked after school age children I did do some form of structured planning but I found that most of them just wanted to come in and chill out after school. Sometime this meant watching some tv for a little while before playing some board games.

Sometimes they would like to do some art & craft sort of things or something simple like colouring....I used to go on some websites and print off things that I thought would interest them like Pokemon or scoobie doo of pictures of princess/fairies...that sort of thing (this is more for the 6 year old)

I think as they have had a long day it is better to let them come home and decide what they want to do from there.

littletreasures
25-02-2008, 01:22 PM
She probably will have homework to be done. Once they get to high school the homework they get can quite often be for handing in the following week. They have to keep on top of it otherwise they could end up with loads to do at the weekend.

My daughter is nearly 14 and loves to make cards. I bought her a load of stuff to start off with and pay her 75p per card she makes (they are very good, if I say so myself) to use for birthdays etc.

She also has a Nintendo DS. If you are having the girl before and after school and she has one perhaps she could bring it with her in the morning to be played with after her homework has been done.

Good luck
Jules

sarah707
25-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I look after a 12 year old - she enjoys reading magazines, playing bookworm on the computer, making cards and glittery things, playing cards with me - I've taught her rummy, and helping out with the little ones.

If I have space I let her have a friend round after school sometimes (not fair if she can't see her friends because she goes to a childminder) and they chill doing homework together on the computer or watching tv. :D

brillminder
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM
i 'd ask the child -often they love to play with the little ones, but give them ruls & taolk about safety babies not picking up etc , give them some books if they like that or folder to keep stuff in a sense of belonging, go library in holidays take dogs out with camera , cooking , lunch cakes, savory , soup etc, etc

brillminder
04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
forgot to say pets if you have any get them to help if willing bath & feed they love it, planting pots basket etc & take one home & care for ones at yours :)

allinatiz
04-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi. My daughter is almost 13 and, like Jules' daughter, likes to make cards, she also likes to help make tea, cutting veg up and the like. She's also great at playing with the little ones when she's in the right mood ;) I have to say, though, that when she comes in she wants some time just to chill before she does anything else.

LittleMissSparkles
04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I have a 10 year old girl and a 10 year old boy too, they each like to do totally different things, the boy will not interact very often or join in activities with us but likes to read books and stuff but the 10 year old girl is still very much into joining in with us and dressing up etc they are at different maturity levels at this stage so it can be quite difficult at times xxx