PDA

View Full Version : Brain freeze.......

uf353432
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
If a child is 5 years but not currently in full time ed - is she still early years or does she come in the 5-8 category?

Child will start reception next week, but 1/2 day for first term. Because she was 5 yesterday - which age group would she fall under please?

sonia ann
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
you still have to do eyfs with her until 31st aug next year but as she is 5yrs old she counts in your 5-8 range for the purpose of your numbers:)

uf353432
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
whoot - just checking! ta muchly Sonia Ann. :clapping:

Minstrel
03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
you still have to do eyfs with her until 31st aug next year but as she is 5yrs old she counts in your 5-8 range for the purpose of your numbers:)

sorry to disagree but i think the child will be in the early yrs group (ie under 5's) until full time school has kicked in (so for the first term). Its confusing because we tend to refer to the ages as under 5 and 5-8's but as far as ofsted goes its early yrs and under 8's.

Your certificate should make it clearer. :thumbsup:

sarah707
03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
This is clearly a tricky one!

I would have said once she has had her 5th birthday she is 5 ... regardless of school settling in etc.

HOWEVER as Minstrel feels that's not right and I am not 100% certain after reading Minstrel's reply, I think it's probably best if you just do a quick double check with Ofsted...

08456 404040

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Let us know what they say so we know for future reference please!

:D

Twinkle
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I thought once they reached 5 they went into the 5 to 8 category too. I'm confused now too, must need another glass of wine:)

sonia ann
04-09-2009, 06:20 AM
sorry to disagree but i think the child will be in the early yrs group (ie under 5's) until full time school has kicked in (so for the first term). Its confusing because we tend to refer to the ages as under 5 and 5-8's but as far as ofsted goes its early yrs and under 8's.

Your certificate should make it clearer. :thumbsup:

i have a child starting school part time this term who has already had her 5th birthday.when I phoned Ofsted earlier this year to check for my numbers I was told that as she is already 5 she is in the 5-8 group not withstanding that she will only be at school part time for half a term. Unfortunately I didn't get this in writing as it seemed to confirm what i thought anyway......I hope I haven't been told wrong as it will mess up my numbers now :(

The Juggler
04-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I thought once they reached 5 they went into the 5 to 8 category too. I'm confused now too, must need another glass of wine:)

I'm not sure either. I think the 5 year group referred to the fact they weren't full-time at the setting mainly as your main daytime care should only consist of 3 (usually under 5). However, in the circs I imagine that if this does take you over your number, that as lo is over 5 already a variation would not be a problem.

Best to check it out that as Sarah said.

LOL

grindal
04-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Just to confuse things further, when a 4 year old (ie a rising 5) starts school in September, but are part time for the first few weeks are they still counted as filling an early years space? And if so, are Ofsted likely to give a variation to cover this situation? Just wondering for future reference.
Thanks

sarah707
04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Just to confuse things further, when a 4 year old (ie a rising 5) starts school in September, but are part time for the first few weeks are they still counted as filling an early years space? And if so, are Ofsted likely to give a variation to cover this situation? Just wondering for future reference.
Thanks

Yes they are still 4 while they are settling in.

They turn to 5 for the purposes of paperwork as soon as they are there for 10 sessions.

No guarantee on variations but I imagine they are usually granted if it's continuity of care :D

sonia ann
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Ok just spoken to Ofsted again:mad: Current advice is that even though the child is 5yrs old , if the birthday is after 31st august then the child is classed as an under 5 for the purposes of numbers until they are in full time education ie 10 sessions a week.........i wish they would get themselves sorted out....now got to get a variation sorted in 3 weeks:(

thanks Minstrel as I wouldn't have queried it again:)

Minstrel
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
No problem- the only reason i noticed is because of the wording on the certificates.

Early Years meaning up to 31st Aug after 5th b day and the exemtion bit talks about if 4 and 5 yr olds attend full time school they may be counted as over 5's. I read this that if it didnt matter then it would only talk about when 4 yr olds are in full time school.

I hope my mad logic makes sense!

:D

youarewhatyoueat
08-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes thats what i've been told that a 5year old is still counted as under 5 until in full time education. I think its done so we don't go over numbers during the day as the child only doing mornings at school would mean one extra in the afternoon. I find the whole thing confusing and this thread shows that we all have different answers depending on who we talk to.