PDA

View Full Version : Language barrier maybe? ...

Lainey Lou
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Hiya, just want your thoughts on this. One of my mindees is 25 months old, parents are Polish and speak Polish at home, the mindee watches English TV at home everyday (mainly Cbeebies), so hears English on a regular basis. My concern is that she hasn't yet started speaking, Polish or English, she does say the odd word when prompted such as apple, car, ball but that is about it and doesn't really speak Polish at all, not even bye, hello etc. I find it really hard to get her attention sometimes and to communicate simple things to her (don't think its her hearing though as sometimes she responds straight away when I call her name). Do you think she might be abit confused with Polish v English? Think her mum is abit concerned as my daughter is the same age and you can't shut her up, she has even started saying bye in Polish! Is there any reason to be concerned as I know all kids develop at different rates. :o

gailee
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I have 4 polish children ! i have 1 thats very clever speaks polish to his mum in their home and when he comes here he speaks english is dad speaks another language he can talk that one 2!! 1 thats thinks more than talks but he's getting better more english other 1 is more english (english dad) and the other speaking a little english and he 's happy to tried.They are all 2 years old .

So i don't know what to say maybe she's slow learner or too lazy to talk sorry not very helpful

hayleychildcare
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I have a swedish Lo and mum was really concerned that he didnt speak swedish or english.

He is 25 months now and speaks great english and now mum is concerned that he isnt learning enough swedish.

sarah707
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
It is common for children who are experiencing 2 languages to spend a period of time not talking at all.

They are listening, taking it all in, usually able to respond to instructions and will generally talk when they are ready.

Do you have dual language books, music, signs, DVDs etc? She needs to have her home language in your house as that is the one she will be most comfortable with first.

hth :D

Lainey Lou
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe that is what she is doing, sussing it all out. I do say well done, please, thank you, hello and bye in Polish to her and she responds with a big smile usually, so that shows that she does feel comfortable with it. Mum did me a copy cd of polish nursery rhymes, but it doesn't work on my player, also asked mum for some polish books but she said that she didn't have many?! Will ask her again, probably will not be able to shut her up in a couple of months! :)

ajs
02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
It is common for children who are experiencing 2 languages to spend a period of time not talking at all.

They are listening, taking it all in, usually able to respond to instructions and will generally talk when they are ready.

Do you have dual language books, music, signs, DVDs etc? She needs to have her home language in your house as that is the one she will be most comfortable with first.

hth :D

that's what i was going to say too, very often dual nationality children talk later, sarah has explained why better than i could but i thik it'#s quite common

Blackhorse
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
bilingually raised children will in gereral start to talk later as they have more to learn. So I wouldnt worry about it.
Although I would say the TV is not the best for them to pick the language up properly.

As long as she gets consistence..i.e at home polish and at your place english....she will pick it up easier.
I wouldnt worry too much about bilingual books etc if she already lives with both languages. She wont have a problem translating things she is only slower in talking. My dd is 19 months and doesnt talk much either..oh no and mama are the main things..and a lot of baby talk.
But she understand EVERYTHING we say in either english or german.
So for your one, as long as you can see she understands what you say, dont worry about her talking...it will come soon enough

I know from raising my dd with two languages that it is important for them to have a set structure of when which language is used.
I.e. Parents always talk english in the house and outside english.
or mum always talks polish and dad always english...
or both parents polish and nursery/childminder english
any kind of combination..but it needs to be consitent.

green puppy
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad I have found this thread as I have a 19 month old mindee who's mum is portuguese. He isn't really saying any words but has a great range of sounds and non stop toddler talk. Mum did say the other day that she speaks portuguese and english to him and dad is english so obviously speaks english to him aswell. Do you think I should mention to mum perhaps she should speak one language to him?

Pipsqueak
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
think Sparklebox had some good dual language bits and bobs on

Blackhorse
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Glad I have found this thread as I have a 19 month old mindee who's mum is portuguese. He isn't really saying any words but has a great range of sounds and non stop toddler talk. Mum did say the other day that she speaks portuguese and english to him and dad is english so obviously speaks english to him aswell. Do you think I should mention to mum perhaps she should speak one language to him?

well there should be some kind of system behind it as far as I know..
for example my dd knows that if dad is around we speak english and if he isn't around we speak german..(as he doesnt speak german I didnt want to exclude him..well that is how I felt anyways)
so I do speak both languages to her but I think she gets the difference...
your mindees mum might feel the same...

Twinkles
02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
bilingually raised children will in gereral start to talk later as they have more to learn. So I wouldnt worry about it.
Although I would say the TV is not the best for them to pick the language up properly.

As long as she gets consistence..i.e at home polish and at your place english....she will pick it up easier.
I wouldnt worry too much about bilingual books etc if she already lives with both languages. She wont have a problem translating things she is only slower in talking. My dd is 19 months and doesnt talk much either..oh no and mama are the main things..and a lot of baby talk.
But she understand EVERYTHING we say in either english or german.
So for your one, as long as you can see she understands what you say, dont worry about her talking...it will come soon enough

I know from raising my dd with two languages that it is important for them to have a set structure of when which language is used.
I.e. Parents always talk english in the house and outside english.
or mum always talks polish and dad always english...
or both parents polish and nursery/childminder english
any kind of combination..but it needs to be consitent.

I recently heard a lecture on this very subject and this is exactly what we were told :thumbsup:

mandy moo
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
My minded LO, Mum is Norweigan, Dad is English,
Back in april (he was 20mths then) he spoke a few words of each, now he just talks for england, scuse the pun, both languages that is.
But of course as we all know all kids are diffrent, and learn at diffrent rates.
Even I picked up a couple of words..lol