PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1st observation pleeaassee !!

charliebear
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

I had my 1st ever mindee started yest for a couple of hrs i decided to just do free play so she could settle in with my boys.

She is coming this afternoon and i would really like to start thinking about an observation but really don't no where to begin, do i instigate what she plays with for an obs or do i just watch her ?? sorry if i sound stupid but getting in a right state over this (had NO sleep )!!!!!!!

Kelly x

Sally G
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Personally i would observe on free play to start with as she is new noting what she does and her interaction with others etc then link them wth the early learning goals etc, then as an extention pick a point that she can develop through a set adlut led activity but i am also new to this so others feel free to correct me as i am keen to learn! :blush:

FussyElmo
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Personally I would just watch her over the next few weeks on her likes and dislikes etc. Plenty of time to think about an observation once she is settled with you!!!

Debster
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Please don't stress about it its certainly not worth losing sleep over. I would not do a observation yet let the child settle in for at least a month that way you can extablish what they are interested in give plenty of free play and work from there so you discover sam likes to make marks on paper so provide oppotunities for her to use different materials eg making marks in sand or play - dough then maybe observe one of these activities

charliebear
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi ,

thanks for that,

From watching her yest and today i can see that she is very interested in trains, the dolls and my small dog, she is only 17 months and she said tilleys (the dog) name after only a couple of hrs !!

How would i write any of this up to be an observation and what would be my next steps....so sorry if i am asking too much !

Kellyxx:blush:

misst104
02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Personally I would just watch her over the next few weeks on her likes and dislikes etc. Plenty of time to think about an observation once she is settled with you!!!

I agree. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Give yourself time to get to know her better and for her to settle before starting on obs etc :thumbsup:

xxx jo

Bitsy Beans
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I only have my mindee one day a week so at this rate it's going to take aaaaaaaaaaages to work out everything she likes and dislikes.
I'd just keep making a note of things she likes (I've done this in my mindee's daily diary under the heading "Toys X has enjoyed today), some are the same week in week out but now she's had 4 whole sessions with me (wow!) I am going to try some more adult led activities and see if she likes doing those. She's not quite 3 yet and all she seems to love is water play!!!

I have written my first ob but I am only going to do one a month. I've done some basic planning based on what I can see are her interests (eg water play, outdoors play, Happyland and animals) and say come Halloween we might try our first topic.
I've made myself really stressed about it all and it's such a waste of effort. What I've realised is I am trying to do more planning for Ofsted purposes rather than the child which is kind of missing the point of planning. I think this is the one downside to EYFS, people are too focused on what Ofsted will say rather than planning what's best for the child.

It's a small world
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
observations is just that . Depending on age. My mindee is 2.5 and I just go with the flow as won't sit for long enough to do a set activity so try and work around it. I ve had him a month now and done 2 observations.

1st one was when we went to a local forest. He pointed out a spider in a tree trunk and said that it was home a sleep. So I took a photo of him pointing in the tree and wrote around this linking eyfs - kuw - spider lived in tree / pd-running around the tree trunks looking at different things / cll -told me where the bug/spider was and what it was doing...

for next steps we sang bug songs/ made an incy wincy spider and drainpipe / read book about bugs/ looked in garden for more bugs..all cover diff areas of eyfs. Also took pics of incy wincy as evidence.

Not sure if this is right but thats how Ive done it.

Other observation was based on a tractor he coloured after doing rubbings of farm objects and followed the same basis as above.

young children are hard to do planned things so just develop from something you see them do.

Oh Ive also done alot of wow moments on things they have said or done as mindee very rarely does different things as only interested in tractors and farms. So try and do my best.....

HTH sorry to have gone on.