PDA

View Full Version : Wrong name!!

Bendy
02-09-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm looking after my friends child at her home whilst I await my certificate. Yesterday was my first day and we had a lovely time.

My only problem is that I keep calling my mindee by my daughters name and referring to myself as mummy.

This used to really annoy me when my mother-in-law referred to herself as mummy when with my children.

Is this a common problem?

Hopefully as time goes on I will be able to stop myself. Not sure my mindees mum/my friend will be happy hearing it and to be honest it makes me feel really guilty. She is only 12 months so need to kick the habit now.:o before she starts to understand.

Bendy

Pipsqueak
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Its quite common as well for the mindee to forget who you are and call you mummy too!! lol

Don't worry you will soon get used to referring to yourself in the 3rd person and you will go through half a dozen names (including dogs and cats names) to get the child you actually want.
Happens to us all lol

Mollymop
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I sometimes do this with my littlest mindee. I say "Mummy said...." etc and then think OPPPPS!! it is natural and it will pass.
As Pip said - the children do it too - I have 2 mindees who like to call me mummy:panic: and one who calls me mummy by mistake and quickly changes it to "sandra":thumbsup:

sweets
02-09-2009, 08:04 AM
my mindees sometimes call me mummy by mistake, i usually say 'yes grandma' it has them in fits of laughter when they 'i'm not grandma' and i say' but i'm not mummy'! lol

cabby
02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
its when they start calling you daddy you need to worry:laughing:

i had one lo who called EVERYONE daddy:laughing:

little chickee
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I never refer to myself as Mum or Karen - I say "look at me" not "look at Mum" or " I said" not "Karen said" as i think it is wierd to refer to yourself in the 3rd person.

I used to know a child who used to refer to herself by name eg " Emily wants a drink" or " Emilys favorite colur is blue" - she was about 5 and it just sounded odd and i wanted to avoid my kids doing the same