PDA

View Full Version : Half days... Advice please

twiggy
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
A parent has reduced the hours her child comes to me from 20 1/2 hours over 2 and a half days to 17 hours over 1 day and 2 half days as she is now receiving funding at playgroup. On a Tuesday I will be having the child 8am to 1pm and on Thursdays 12.30pm until 5pm. It is very unlikely that I will fill the vacancy I now have for the remainder of the 2 half days.

The mum has today asked me if I would be able to collect her child from playgroup at 12.30pm on a Thursday instead of dropping her off to me as she has the chance to work all day. This will mean I collect another child from my local playgroup at 11.30am come home for 15mins and then walk for 25 mins to collect her child. ( I have said I will think about it)

This is a parent that was most annoyed when I increased my rates after 2 years by 20p an hour. How would you charge? eg for full days ... the mother is in receipt of tax credits.

RainbowMum
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I charge full days even when a child is in a funded nursery or playgroup - If the parent only wants a half day I charge £15 a full day is £28.50 but if they only want the half day I will not hold the rest of the day for holiday care.

Ripeberry
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
What happens if the nursery or playgroup close for one day or there is a problem? Who would pick up the child? If they expect you to, then you should charge for the full day anyway as you won't be able to fill that space.

twiggy
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I charge full days even when a child is in a funded nursery or playgroup - If the parent only wants a half day I charge £15 a full day is £28.50 but if they only want the half day I will not hold the rest of the day for holiday care.

I only have the child term time and charge a 1/2 retainer for the holidays when she is not with me. So will get next to nothing during the holidays.

twiggy
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
What happens if the nursery or playgroup close for one day or there is a problem? Who would pick up the child? If they expect you to, then you should charge for the full day anyway as you won't be able to fill that space.

I hadn't thought of that.... probably me as I'm such a doormat!