PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice - no sure where to find out...

katedobinson
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
At the minute and for the past year my sister has nannied a little boy Mon, Tues & Weds and his brother after school and I have childminded the same 2 boys on a Fri. My sister goes on Maternity leave on 30th September and I will have the boys the 3 extra days a week until she goes back. The problem we seem to be having is the mother is saying she cant pay me until she gets the money back from the government from paying my sister and her first maternity pay isnt until the end of Ocotber!

Does anyone know how long it takes for her to get the money back or can she get the money first to be able to pay us both?

Im not working over a month and not getting paid, im not happy about working a month and getting paid in arrears to be honest :(

Pipsqueak
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
sorry no pay no work, its not your fault or problem that she can't pay

loocyloo
01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
sorry, i don't know, but i have a feeling the money takes a while to claim back.

however, that isn't your problem, i agree with pip squeak, no pay, no childcare!

goodluck!

katedobinson
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I have spoken to my accountant and she said the mother cant claim it back until after 5th November and shes expetcing me to take her boys on from Oct 2nd theres no-way I am waiting that long no matter how friendly I am with her coz thats hitting end of Nov for it to come to me or possibly longer thats 2 months work with no money and by then she will owe me 2 months worth.

sweets
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
nope i wouldn't do that long without pay! at the very very least ask for half of the money upfront. hope you manage to work it out

katedobinson
01-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I am willing even though not that keen to get paid in arrears so work Oct then be paid work Nov them be paid etc but thats the longest I am willing to wait. I dont want to lose the work but then I could end-up working and still not getting the money!

The Juggler
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't do it either. What if they don't give her back the full amount she is expecting, will she then ask if she can pay you less.

It's not your problem. She needs to pay you then have the money put back in her account when the tax office refund her.

FizzysFriends
01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
What is she claiming money from? Tax credits?

katedobinson
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
From HM Revenue her argument which is valid is she cant afford to pay us both at the same time but she is saying I will have to wait until she get thes SMP she pays my sister back from the government every month before she can pay me :(

The Juggler
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Then I definately would not do it.

LOL

FizzysFriends
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
From HM Revenue her argument which is valid is she cant afford to pay us both at the same time but she is saying I will have to wait until she get thes SMP she pays my sister back from the government every month before she can pay me :(

why is she paying you both?

I wouldn't do it though, I don't work unless the money is paid upfront.

katedobinson
01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
she has to pay my sisters SMP then claim it back and then pay me to look after her boys while my sister is on maternity leave.