PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

louised
01-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Last week I gave 2 sets of parents of mindees who are starting pre-school next week a letter regarding fees, as I had a feeling they assumed that the fees would drop when their children started nursery. In the letter I stated that as I could not fill the 3 hour sessions I would continue to charge for a full day and that this would guarantee the space in the holidays and also that I would be on hand as emergency contact. I have received an e-mail from one of the parents who have totally dis-regarded what I have said and want to negotiate 3 half days in term time and 3 full days in the holidays, they don't seem to understand that this will mean that they will be paying me £36 per week for 3 half days when their child will be taking up a full time vacancy which is potentially worth £120 per week to my business. Not sure what to do, I need to e-mail them asap, anyone had a similar problem and can offer advice?

louised
01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
bumping this as I'm pretty desperate, I need to get back to the parent, can anybody help, please

Pipsqueak
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
yes you are happy to renegotitate - you now set a higher charge which will still be applicable for the full days in the holidays (ie you currently charge £3.50 now the new contract price will be £4.20 ):D

They then have a choice to abide by the current contract, accept the new fees or go elsewhere

mandy moo
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Didnt want to read and run, but I think you need to meet with the parents and explain prehaps in more detail why you charge when their children arnt with you, That you will beunable to fill spaces etc etc
Sometimes, although its more difficult, we need to meet face to face, as prehaps what we say on paper doesnt read as we would realy say it, in a face to face situation, IYSWIM, hope that makes sense:o
sorry not of more help
Good luck

kellym3
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
never been in this position but dont want 2 read an run (i agree with pipsqueak) :thumbsup:

loocyloo
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
will you be taking the children to pre school?

if they don't understand ( or accept ) that you will not ( or it will be extreemely unlikely ) that you will find a child to fill the hours that the child is at preschool, i would charge a higher rate for when they are with you, and maybe 1/2 fees for the hours they are at preschool ( to 'retain' the space ) making sure you will earn more doing it this way!

however, i say that if i take the child to & from preschool, and i am first point of call for the preschool, then full fees are in charged for those hours. however, if i only have to collect or drop off, then i don't charge, as i'm not tied to filling a few hours.

but i am lucky, i have had quite a few part timers who only wanted a morning or afternoon, and have fitted in with what hours i had available, and a variation to cover me whilst collecting and dropping off!

good luck.

x

louised
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
yes I will be taking the child in question to pre-school, the father of the child is going to be collecting him from nursery at 3.15 as he was made redundant several months ago and is not working yet, they don't even really need childcare as one parent is at home all day

helenlc
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I would suggest the half fees for the half day they are not using during term time. Explain that if they do not do this, you might find someone who wants 1pm - 6pm for example. This would then mean that you could not accomodate their child for afternoons in the holidays.

Hope that helps.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't negotiate unless you need the money. I would state that I only had the full time vacancy available.

kindredspirits
01-09-2009, 11:37 AM
i agree i would reply that as per the letter you sent you will be charging full fees as you will be dropping off at nursery this is not negotiable as you cannot fill a 3 hour space AND they want the hours reserved for during the hols. they can take it or leave it - sounds like dad is pushing his luck i think.