PDA

View Full Version : do you allow lots of roaring and shouting?

newandlearning
01-09-2009, 07:14 AM
hi good morning everyone.. this is beginning to do my head in.. the mindee I look after is really good friends with my own DS.. mindee is nearly 3 and my DS starts school next week.. the mindee I mind I have full time and he is constantly running everywhere including in the house.. and on top of this he's always shouting, roaring/making loud noises (well I'd say 50% of time).. we've just had a weekend off and I realise that my own DS is now mimicing lots of the mindees behaviour.. talking in a nahnahnah nah type way :angry: .. roaring :angry: shouting :angry: ... and its doing my head in .. we always go out and I'm still doing activities with my own LOs during the weekend as I find this stops the shouting for a bit.. but this means my DH and I get little time to even talk without there being loud 'heys..' etc in the back ground.. our 2 LOs are 4 and 2 ...

I don't know how to curb this? have tried time out .. maybe I need to do this more consistantly.. or do you think this is just a developmental thing and will pass.. the mindee has been doing this for at least 9 months.. he comes into my home like a bull waiting to charge... he is very good as well when having one 2 one attention.. but I do have other things to do as well like prepare lunch, dinner, sort activities, speak to other children.. etc .. is this just a needy age group.. maybe I'm expecting too much :rolleyes: :panic:

uf353432
01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I try and encourage children to roar and shout for certain activities - like pretending we are animals or loud dancing or jumping on trampoline etc. Then at other times if they get boisterous I explain we save the load play for those other times. If I am talking I certainly do not let children interrupt adults talking - might sound a bit school maam - but its an important lesson not to interrupt people when they are talking. They do like to be loud - its a phase of exploring sounds - like when they go in a echo'y place they can't help but shout out - maybe channel some activities where noise is positively encouraged and then if they want to be noisy they can return to that activity. Its nice when children have permission to explore being loud - I dare say they are told to be quiet all the time at home and else where - as long as its channeled and controlled.

For example - I was driving and my daughter started screaming - the mindee joined in - and then so did I - was quite exhilarating - and we all ended up in a fit of giggles - ended quicker than if I told them to stop.

Mollymop
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
No I don't allow children to run about the house or shout/scream/roar, etc unless it's an activity. I am fine with it at the park and in the garden but not in the house.

I look after a child who always roars, she is leaving tomorrow...but in the holidays it really is very difficult to get to stop.
I have a hubby who works nights and it wouldn't be fair on him.

little chickee
01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Shouting and running about is allowed outside but not inside - we are outside as much as possible to allow the kids to use up their energy and noisiness - inside its no running and no shouting - same rules as i have always had for my own kids.

sweets
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
mine def don't shout or run in the house, in the garden i am careful too as i live in a terrace with back to back gardens so don't really like shouting out there either as i don't think its fair on neighbours! at the park tho they can be as loud as they like! lol

Princess Sara
01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I *try* and have a calming, relaxed home without loud noises, shouting, running around and generally being silly (with the exception of certain activities etc.) They can run around and go loopy outside where they can't break anything!

grindal
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
We go out every day and spend time in the garden to allow for lots of roaring and shouting and running around outside. When DS1 and 2 and mindee are inside the house all is calm.....until DH comes home. He roars and shouts far more than the kids ever do :panic: :panic:

The Juggler
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I do but not at the table when eating and not if they get out of hand with physical behaviour joining the screaming.

I tend to encourage them to do it in the garden or park rather than in the house but don't tell them not to, if you see what I mean.

newandlearning
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I cannot believe what a pants day this was .. everyone was fine when we were out but when we at home the mindee and my own DC are shouting throwing things on floor whilst playing or eating at table .. I know I need to look at this from a more positive standpoint but I feel emotionally and physically drained.. I don't really want to start a reward system for good behaviour .. right now I feel too angry. I decided today to not do certain things so that my attention was with the children and joined in with activities but my own DC and the mindee are in there own little bubble and even smerked at one point when I said 'please can we not shout, we should be talking inside'.. it like they have proverbally stuck 2 fingers up .. I feel totally not in control.. it makes me feel hopeless and a bit pathetic.:(

The Juggler
02-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I reckon you need to acknowledge they like to do this. Tell them as you like to ......., let's play a game. Take them in garden and join in encourage them to roar and shout then (when they are not doing it) explain that it's a great game and great fun but when at the table, we eat, chat and take turns to listen.

You could always take them down from the table to calm down and return them when they are calmer.

I still have problems with my own two children who are very silly at the table despite being 7 and 9 but they don't scream and shout since they were little.

Worth a try. Good luck.

Twinkles
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
We are out a lot. Thechildren have very many opportunities for running and shouting out of doors. So, no indoors we have 'indoor voices' ( oo I sound like Joyce Grenfell :rolleyes: ).

If you feel your mindee and your DC are disrespecting you, seperate them and let them know you won't stand for it.

sweets
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
i'm quite suprised at a lot of your replies really, saying that you let the children shout and yell in the garden! what about your neighbours? it drives me mad when when i am trying to do the gardening or read outside when children are being very loud!

I know this makes me sound like a miserable so an so but i think its really selfish. don't get me wrong i enjoy hearing children playing out and don't even mind the noise of the constant boing on trampolines and neither do my elderly neighbours, but if my mindees shout,yell or scream in the garden they are told to keep thier voices down.

Sorry:blush: :blush:

LittleAcorns
02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
erm nope lol, I tried to post a pic on here with my daughter DUCT taped but the image was huge!!!

margimum
02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
It can be difficult if the children 'play off' each other.
I have a 20 month old who likes to scream, but then one 3yr old boy copies and it can end up with them getting completely out of hand and just laughing at me when I say NO MORE.:angry:
They can do the same with jumping on the couch and throwing toys about too!:angry:
I can easily distract the toddler, but the older one, I seem to have to threaten consequences( and follow through) before he gets the idea.
I dread the rain if we cant spend much time outdoors, and on bad days I describe them as 'caged animals'.

buildingblocks
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I am the same as most on here loud noise is for outside/play areas etc.

One of the reasons is that my front room is alongside my neighbours so I am concious of them but also I suffer with Menieres in my ear and it doesn't like lots of loud noises unfortunately. I can't wait for my outdoor area to be built as then they can have all the 'noisy toys' out there. At the moment the garage and metal cars have to be played with outdoors as the noise of the cars hurtling down the plastic garage and across the floor (no carpet) after a couple of hours begins to grate.

As for outdoors we have lots of noise but not necessarily yelling and shouting if that makes sense but I do not allow them in the garden until after 9am as I do think you have to consider the neighbours mine are at work by then.

flora
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
There is roaring and shouting here..........

But thats just me :laughing: :laughing:

As for the mindees, we live in the middle of no where, I just chuck them in the garden and who cares how much noise they make apart from the dogs.

Can get a bit much in the winter. I try and walk home as often as poss, seems to wear them out more and less noisy, sometimes :rolleyes:

newandlearning
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
oddly enough .. our dog seems to have lost weight over the summer .. you can feel his spine quite badly I don't think he's liked to noise levels much and that he's losing weight because of it.xx

claireLouise
02-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a set of house rules which the children helped write and it clearly states no shouting or jumping on furiture or running.

Although they need remiding they are very good even the toddlers understand the rules.:)

Tinglesnark
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
There is roaring and shouting here..........

But thats just me :laughing: :laughing:

same here! we have a very noisy household anyway and i found that charlie went thru a very noisy stage at 1.5 to 2.5yrs. in the end i gave up stressing over it and he eventually stopped doing it...he would start a scream and id pick up a magazine or walk out of the room and he would give up and carry on playing ... i know how maddening it is to have that screaming going on but another tactic is if you can beat em or distract em then join em....just stand and scream...they will just stare at you in amazement and then laugh but u can show them how annoying it is that way maybe?
thats just me, i am really the noisiest one in the house so its my fault they all shout...:blush:

balloon
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
i'm quite suprised at a lot of your replies really, saying that you let the children shout and yell in the garden! what about your neighbours? it drives me mad when when i am trying to do the gardening or read outside when children are being very loud!

I know this makes me sound like a miserable so an so but i think its really selfish. don't get me wrong i enjoy hearing children playing out and don't even mind the noise of the constant boing on trampolines and neither do my elderly neighbours, but if my mindees shout,yell or scream in the garden they are told to keep thier voices down.

Sorry:blush: :blush:

You're not alone, I don't let my mindees shout and roar in the garden either.

Where I live is very peaceful, one side of the road is houses with families etc in, and the other is elderly and disabled folk in bungalows. The last thing any of these people want or need is a load of noisy little monkeys screaming in the garden!

I encourage the children to consider our neighbours' right to peace and quiet in their own home and try to go to the park or beach at least once a day for a good old run around with as much noise as they wish...

flora
03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
We are lucky to have no close neighbours, so no ones peace is disturbed except mine :D

Must have been the wind today or highs from being all back together and back at school, but my lot were soooooo loud tonight.

I wish I could have videoed them to share with you them haring round the garden, it was a joy to watch, they were having a ball .

nannymcflea
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine are allowed to be noisy in the garden. I can have 6 kids in mine and they are nowhere near as noisy as the father and son from 2 doors away...so I don't worry!

We have house rules,no running,shouting,listen to adults,be kind to others etc.

ORKSIE
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
We have Inside Voices and Outside voices:thumbsup:
Except when we have story/song time and then I encourage loud controlled sound IYSWIM. Dont want them so hyper you cant peel em off the ceiling:D