PDA

View Full Version : Parent with swine flu - have I done right do you think?

Shivvie
31-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi

A mum (a good friend of ours) of a little boy we mind called me tonight to tell us that dad has suspected swine flu. He's been advised to take tamiflu. He has all the symptoms and sounds quite ill from what she's told me.

She phoned to let us know that her little boy has a cough but could she still bring him to us tomorrow? She said she doesn't think he has flu as he's playing happily and hasn't any other symptoms. Dad's symptoms came on very quickly today whereas the little boy's cough started yesterday.

I have asked her to keep he son off tomorrow as I don't want to risk spreading potential swine flu to the other children and ourselves. From what she says, I don't think her son has got swine flu but I didn't want to risk it. She says she'll see how he is tomorrow and update me tomorrow night.

Would you have done the same thing? It's difficult with her being a friend; I think I wouldn't be worrying as much if she wasn't - I would be less emotional and more objective if you see what I mean??

I'm a bit upset that she rang me really, putting the onus on us rather than just calling to say that she was keeping her little boy off anway. If it was my husband ill with suspected swine flu and my son had a cough then I certainly wouldn't have sent him to my childminder :panic:

If his cough has gone tomorrow, or if he's not been poorly, then would you allow him to come on Wednesday?

Sorry for the long post. I'm hoping you're all going to tell me I've done the right thing, but if you don't think I have then please let me know!!!

FizzysFriends
31-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I would have let him come, I accept children with a cough and although his dad may have swine flu he hasn't.

Zoomie
31-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I am probably the minority here, but I think you have gone OTT.

Take 'swine flu' out of the occassion, and think how you would react if it just normal flu. Its the dad that has it, and I appreciate that swine flu is contatious but really it is no different from a normal cold (in terms of being infectious).

My DH had swine flu, none of the rest of the family got it, nor my two mindees either, as I stayed open (parent's wanted to send children), I was well, so why not?.

We praticed good hygiene and were all okay.

Shivvie
31-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

If the little boy was fine (no cough) then I wouldn't have thought twice, but with him having a cough I didn't want to take the risk.

I'll see what mum says tomorrow night, and if he's been ok and no symptoms other than his cough, then he'll be ok for Wednesday.

Thanks again - I obviously worry too much :blush:

angeldelight
01-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I think you have to do what is right for YOU and YOUR family

There are some that think that swine flu is nothing and others that are concerned

There are no right or wrong answers

Something terrible happened to my family through swine flu and knowing what I know now I would never ever put my family at risk when I could get a parent to keep a child home for a few days if there was even a slight risk to us

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
01-09-2009, 06:41 AM
a little girl i have has had swine flu this last week, she was with me the day before mum rang to say she had it and showed no signs of been ill at all, she is coming back to my setting tommorow once she has finished her tamiflu tablets and going back to school on thursday, I said i would have her tommorow as she will have finished her tablets iyswim and the doc said she would be ok for school on thursday. It is what you feel is best for your family though, if your not sure be safe first.

Shivvie
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Something terrible happened to my family through swine flu and knowing what I know now I would never ever put my family at risk when I could get a parent to keep a child home for a few days if there was even a slight risk to us

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had a terrible experience with swine flu :(

Thank you for replying though and reassuring me that I wasn't too OTT! I've spoken to mum again tonight and her little boy hasn't developed any more symptoms so she's sending him tomorrow. She's been really good and said that if he gets worse or we're worried at all, then to phone her at work and she'd come and get him straight away. Hopefully he'll be ok though and not catch it from dad.

I know it's just another form of flu, but if I am able to protect myself, my own family and the children in my care, then I will do it. Forewarned is forearmed :thumbsup: and, in hindsight, I think I did the right thing. I just panicked and felt guilty last night :blush:

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

angeldelight
01-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Glad you sorted it out with parent and that she is understanding

There is never anything ott about protecting your family so I think you were right to be concerned

It is nice that the parent will come and collect if you have any worries

Hope the dad gets well and no one else gets it

Angel xx

TheBTeam
02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I posted with virtually the same heading just a couple of weeks ago, where a mum of a 7 year old I mind had swine flu and when asked i said i would prefer not to have the girl for the week, at the time i had just found out about a potential health issue i may have, and took the view that we did not need anymore to worry about and so I did not care for her for that week, i did not charge for the week, however my dh thinks I am wrong and should have charged, the mum was housebound and couldn't have got the child to us anyway was his logic!