PDA

View Full Version : down syndrome

Blackhorse
31-08-2009, 08:30 PM
can someone who knows about this give me some pointers about things to take into consideration when looking after a child with down syndrome.

I have checked out some webpages as well but would like to hear from someone's personal experiences

thanks

sarah707
01-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Here's the UK main website - http://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/

There is a childminder on here with lots of experience as well.

Hopefully she will see this!!

Hth :D

loocyloo
01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
hi, my friends daughter has down syndrome, and she runs a local group. the website is very helpful and worth a look.

http://www.steppingstonesds.co.uk/

haribo
01-09-2009, 07:58 AM
i have a nephew of 4 with downs and so far he has reached all the milestones other kids do it just takes slightly longer . he is strong willed but lovely to look after and very funny . i think up to a certain age they can be as achieving as others then they reach a plateau in their ability . the Downs Syndrome Association is excellent for info for anyone involved in caring for someone with Downs .

angeldelight
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
i have a nephew of 4 with downs and so far he has reached all the milestones other kids do it just takes slightly longer . he is strong willed but lovely to look after and very funny . i think up to a certain age they can be as achieving as others then they reach a plateau in their ability . the Downs Syndrome Association is excellent for info for anyone involved in caring for someone with Downs .

Yes I agree
My niece has a 6 year old and he is so very clever
I have also minded a downs child for over a year
If you need any advice just message me

Angel xx

Mollymop
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi there,

I have mind a child with Downs - today is her year anniversary with me.

She is before and after school weekdays and all day in school hols. She is 8.

She is leaving me tomorrow, due to change of schools.

Think very carefully before you sign up a child who has Down's - I love E very much, but she is very VERY hard work. So although I will be missing her when she leaves tomorrow I am also looking forward to some "freedom"

Blackhorse
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
well I already signed her up and have been looking after her all day monday and today..
She is lovely and my dd and her get on really well.
I am aware that it wont be easy but I didnt want to turn her down because of it. I have done some work with children with disabilities before - I was teaching them how to ride and interact with animals..but I wasnt really involved in day to day care as theire carers where always with them when they came...

I just want to do everything right for her and support her as much as possible...and I dont want to be ignorant about anything.
especially as she will be with me nearly 50 hours a week. (less a couple of hours at her playgroup)

I will check out all the pages you have posted here...
thanks

Angel I might pm you as well though if that is ok...:D

Angela234
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I look after a little girl 20 months old now i have looked after her for a year now.

Shes a lovely girl very strong willed her development is simular to others her age except talking and eating learning to sign now.

I have meetings with portage workers and speech therapest and targets set.

Hope it all goes well your little one must be older so i've not been much help

sarah707
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I sent you an email earlier - check your inbox.

I hope it helps! :D

angeldelight
01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
well I already signed her up and have been looking after her all day monday and today..
She is lovely and my dd and her get on really well.
I am aware that it wont be easy but I didnt want to turn her down because of it. I have done some work with children with disabilities before - I was teaching them how to ride and interact with animals..but I wasnt really involved in day to day care as theire carers where always with them when they came...

I just want to do everything right for her and support her as much as possible...and I dont want to be ignorant about anything.
especially as she will be with me nearly 50 hours a week. (less a couple of hours at her playgroup)

I will check out all the pages you have posted here...
thanks

Angel I might pm you as well though if that is ok...:D

That sounds great

Hope you have fun although hard work very enjoyable , message me any time Nicole

Angel xx